• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's horrible.

geekette

Reaction score
Really? That is quite an insensitive, prejudiced and judgmental comment. If you took the time to know and love someone suffering from gross obesity, you may learn that the root causes vary person to person and are often far more complex/difficult to deal with than you imply. It is more than diet and exercise. For example, I know someone who suffered from gross obesity after struggling for well over a decade with severe depression following the violent suicide of her only child. It took much counseling and surgery and struggle to rebuild her life and become 'acceptable' to people like you.

My mother's thyroid went wacko over 30 years ago and she also has Lupus and some of her meds make it very difficult to lose weight and side effects are actually weight gain. She's not a lazy slacker, and while she may be obese, "self-inflicted" is not at all how it came about.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ignorance, intolerance, and cruelty often rears its ugly head on this board whenever the topic of disability is raised.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think feigning disability to buck lines is despicable! Though DW and I have offered to take turns in a wheelchair at airports to scoot through security and priority board (in jest only).

So what is the suggestion? A doctor's prescription for disability? Who's going to check it in a Disney line? Mickey? Fat chance.

Jim

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Devil's advocate maybe, but if a disabled person can earn money by taking rich people on a private tour at Disney, I say great idea. I know it's easy to get mad at the rich people, but this is an income opportunity for those who would have a very difficult time getting employment elsewhere.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the article:

“My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

Waiting 2 1/2 hours for Small World? I agree, after waiting that long and then enduring that ride, it would truly be horrible. I would pay anything to get that done and over with in 15 minutes or less.
That's one thing that really stuck out for me in the article. If they think people were waiting 2 1/2 hours for It's a Small World, they're been suckered. Often, IASW is walk on, and usually only has a 5-15 minute wait.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Devil's advocate maybe, but if a disabled person can earn money by taking rich people on a private tour at Disney, I say great idea. I know it's easy to get mad at the rich people, but this is an income opportunity for those who would have a very difficult time getting employment elsewhere.

hmmm, i've heard a similar argument about carnival freak shows... I hope as a society we have evolved far enough along where we can offer employment & acceptance for those who are different without gawking & exploitation.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score

Disney does offer a VIP tour option for rich people. I have no issue with that. Good for the rich if they can afford to pay it and play by the Disney rules honestly.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's one thing that really stuck out for me in the article. If they think people were waiting 2 1/2 hours for It's a Small World, they're been suckered. Often, IASW is walk on, and usually only has a 5-15 minute wait.

IASW lines vary greatly based on the season and time of day. There are plenty of times where IASW is well known for having much longer lines for wheelchairs, since there is a limit to the number of wheel chairs that can go down the ramp at any one time and the boats that can hold a wheelchair for those who cannot transfer and the safety evacuation procedures in place.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
IASW lines vary greatly based on the season and time of day. There are plenty of times where IASW is well known for having much longer lines for wheelchairs, since there is a limit to the number of wheel chairs that can go down the ramp at any one time and the boats that can hold a wheelchair for those who cannot transfer and the safety evacuation procedures in place.

Also, while there are different kinds of GAC accommodations that can be made at IASW for non-wheelchair disabilities, this is a particularly difficult attraction to staff at Disneyland (Disney World is different). Parades, fireworks/toon town safety, busy location, strollers, stairs at the exit, narrow lines and poor attraction employee training cause lots of problems handling the crowds on busy days.

Best bet for any park guest, disabled or not, is to visit this attraction at Disneyland early in the day or late at night on days when the park is crowded and/or the holiday overlay is in place. Then, anybody can likely walk right on. Same too for Pirates - often best to catch this one & haunted mansion during Fantasmic.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think any business that hires out wheelchair users as "handicapped line jumpers," or as they call them "tour guides" is despicable. As for those being the only jobs which these people can get, which was put forward here, that simply isn't true.

And there simply isn't a name I could use on a public BBS for the people who think their money and elitism entitles them to use such a person.

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Handicapped--Yes or No?

Many of you say that you see people who "are obviously not handicapped" using a "handicap parking hangtag" which they have borrowed, purchased, stolen, etc. How do you know this? Because they "look healthy?" There are many people who have invisible disabilities. Should they have to provide doctors' notes to you?

Would you feel differently if they had handicap license plates, which I do? Did you know that a person with a permanent disability may have either hangtags or a license plate?

Whatever the disability, don't you think that most of these people would be more than willing to change their up close parking (and whatever else they need/use) for your health? Perhaps a little compassion would be appropriate? Or, failing that, how about going back to what my momma used to say, "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

Yes, I have a handicap plate (and that is what my DMV calls it). And no, I generally don't discuss why, and certainly not with strangers.

Fern

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well said Fern! :clap:

let me add - Often times a disabled person is assigned a hangtag placard because they do not drive and/or do not own a car. The hangtag belongs to the disabled individual and is used whenever and wherever they are being transported by somebody else. The hangtag is not just for 'temporary disabilities', as some folks mistakenly assume.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
DELETED my original post. Now that I've read the entire thread, I opt to avoid the fray that this has turned into.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I think feigning disability to buck lines is despicable! Though DW and I have offered to take turns in a wheelchair at airports to scoot through security and priority board (in jest only).

So what is the suggestion? A doctor's prescription for disability? Who's going to check it in a Disney line? Mickey? Fat chance.

My mother in law does this every time we fly and it makes me cringe. She insists on a wheelchair until she gets to the front of the line at security. And then HALLELUJAH! she can walk again.

It's BS. I know it's BS. She knows it's BS. And everyone at the airport knows it's BS.

She tries to get me to use her handicapped tag when I drive her around. Hell no. I drop her off in front of the store and then go park somewhere. And then I walk to the car and pick her up. Taking a handicapped space when I don't need one is simply wrong. And yet I see people doing this the lazy way all the time (kids driving an elderly parent around and taking a handicapped space). They are lazy, inconsiderate and have a vastly exaggerated sense of entitlement. And that's that.

All of this political correctness and timidity about questioning why someone who seems to have no mobility issues at all gets a handicapped space has led us to the ubiquitous gaming of the system that we see now.

People will take advantage of anything -- whether it be less wait at the airport, shorter lines, better parking, getting their yappy little dogs into places where pets aren't normally allowed -- anything.

And you can chide me all you want for being insensitive. We all know that many, many people are gaming the system. Why pretend this isn't a problem? And when I see someone get out of a Ferrari with disabled tags, and then literally SPRINT to the gym, I absolutely wonder why that person needs disabled tags in the first place. I have a relative who is missing a leg. No problems there -- front of the line. Mr. Sprinter in the Ferrari who just wants the wider parking space so nobody dings his car? Not so much.

EDIT -- And for those of you who are invariably going to use "you don't know what Mr. Sprinter's invisible condition is," I put it to you that you don't know that he even HAS a condition, either. Maybe his only condition is that he's an entitled nitwit who can get his doctor to write up something bogus. I would say that is a more likely scenario than Mr. Sprinter having some invisible malady that justifies the handicapped plate.

Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
ScoopLV - your example of Mr Sprinter, sprinting alone and on his way to the gym in a Ferrari is an extreme example of abuse. Problem here is that too many people are too quick to judge when there is a legitimate, 'less readily apparent' disability, such as a child with autism or a child with severe seizure disorders mentioned earlier in this thread. Wheelchair / physically apparent disability is not the only kind of real handicaps that exist in this world. There is far too much of a lack of understanding and compassion in our society for the mentally disabled and people suffering from extreme disability. It is like folks have learned to not be openly prejudiced against someone who is a different race, gender, age, physically disabled or gay ... however if one is mentally challenged or fat, people feel ok mocking & discriminating & lying to get "the same perks" as if those two conditions are a state of choice. Shame! :mad:

I am all for medical proof provided to DMV and the Disney guest relations representative with legitimate need to know in order to issue the passes. I support legitimate policing against cheaters, to catch people like the rich folks mentioned in the article. I am all for harsh penalties when one is caught abusing the system because it hurts people with a legitimate, yet not readily apparent need. I am NOT for ignorant judgements from strangers passing by thinking they know something when the reality is often that they don't know anything at all! I also know that some of those who pass the harshest judgements are physically disabled themselves or caring for someone who is, and unfortunately they lack compassion for the mentally disabled.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

To get a disability placard in CA you have to have a Dr's "prescription" (the doctor must sign the form for the state DMV). It took me at least 3 years of renewing my temporary permit before my doctor signed the permanent permit application.

Unless things have changed, here in CA, you can't have both the placard and the license plate, it's one or the other. You are also required to carry a letter from the DMV in the vehicle with you proving you are the rightful owner of the placard.

EDIT -- And for those of you who are invariably going to use "you don't know what Mr. Sprinter's invisible condition is," I put it to you that you don't know that he even HAS a condition, either. Maybe his only condition is that he's an entitled nitwit who can get his doctor to write up something bogus. I would say that is a more likely scenario than Mr. Sprinter having some invisible malady that justifies the handicapped plate.

I agree that there are those that abuse the system. I doubt very few doctors are in cahoots with jerks like this, but I am sure some may be. If so, they need to be dealt with by the proper authorities just as "Mr Sprinter" needs to be dealt with.

I can't remember all the details, but there was a big scandal a couple of years back involving UCLA athletes getting placards for parking.

Sadly, the system is very easy to abuse.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
No, my example of Mr. Sprinter is pretty normal for my area. I will never say a word to Mr. Sprinter. I will not even give him a dirty look. Who knows what his issue might be.

But to not think that his issue might only be "entitlement" is naive in the extreme. What percentage of people are simply cheating the system? I'd say it's a rather high percentage -- especially with service animals. In the case of service animals I contend that there are more people cheating the system than not.

EDIT -- In response to ricoba: Here in Las Vegas, you can pay doctors to write up any damned thing you want.

ScoopLV - your example of Mr Sprinter, sprinting alone and on his way to the gym in a Ferrari is an extreme example of abuse. Problem here is that too many people are too quick to judge when there is a legitimate, 'less readily apparent' disability, such as a child with autism or a child with severe seizure disorders mentioned earlier in this thread. Wheelchair / physically apparent disability is not the only kind of real handicaps that exist in this world. There is far too much of a lack of understanding and compassion in our society for the mentally disabled and people suffering from extreme disability. It is like folks have learned to not be openly prejudiced against someone who is a different race, gender, age, physically disabled or gay ... however if one is mentally challenged or fat, people feel ok mocking & discriminating & lying to get "the same perks" as if those two conditions are a state of choice. Shame! :mad:

I am all for medical proof provided to DMV and the Disney guest relations representative with legitimate need to know in order to issue the passes. I support legitimate policing against cheaters, to catch people like the rich folks mentioned in the article. I am all for harsh penalties when one is caught abusing the system because it hurts people with a legitimate, yet not readily apparent need. I am NOT for ignorant judgements from strangers passing by thinking they know something when the reality is often that they don't know anything at all! I also know that some of those who pass the harshest judgements are physically disabled themselves or caring for someone who is, and unfortunately they lack compassion for the mentally disabled.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No, my example of Mr. Sprinter is pretty normal for my area. I will never say a word to Mr. Sprinter. I will not even give him a dirty look. Who knows what his issue might be.

But to not think that his issue might only be "entitlement" is naive in the extreme. What percentage of people are simply cheating the system? I'd say it's a rather high percentage -- especially with service animals. In the case of service animals I contend that there are more people cheating the system than not.

EDIT -- In response to ricoba: Here in Las Vegas, you can pay doctors to write up any damned thing you want.

Just saw a story on our local news about airport wheelchair "abuse" by some. I guess there are some people that have assistance and a wheelchair to get through security and board the plane but then when they get to the destination they are miraculously cured and able to jump up and walk off the plane unassisted.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
My nephew has CF and without the ability to go into the rides faster, he never could have done Disney. We just spent two weeks in the parks, one with grands and one doing Grandma and Grandpa things. We had great conversations in the lines. I can't stand by someone and not speak. You meet some very nice folks. Our only problem was almost being hit by a motorized wheelchair while the driver was texting. It takes all kinds to make up this planet! :)

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw a story on our local news about airport wheelchair "abuse" by some. I guess there are some people that have assistance and a wheelchair to get through security and board the plane but then when they get to the destination they are miraculously cured and able to jump up and walk off the plane unassisted.

Last time I flew I was wearing a knee brace. I did not need or order a wheelchair. However, the instant I got off the plane, an airline or airport employee pointed to my knee brace and then pointed me to the wheelchair he was holding, "Madam, for you". I said "no thanks, I didn't order one." He insisted, "Madam, please...". I said "No, I don't need it, thank you". He insisted again, and practically shoved me in it. (ok, I'm exaggerating, he never touched me, but he did grab my bag and was quite insistent, so I figured, what the heck, a ride would be nice.)

He happily raced me through the airport (repeating "go, go, go!" the whole time), to the front of the various lines, through customs, etc etc. I hadn't realized that the wheelchair would put me at the fronts of lines. I made it out to my transportation in record time, he practically flipped me out of the chair, I gave him a tip, and off he zoomed, presumably for his next passenger and tip. He had quite a racket going.

I did enjoy the special treatment, but after reading this thread, next time I will NOT take advantage of the offer unless I really need it :) Thanks for the reality check :hi:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hey - we want to see a full-sized picture of the happy couple!

If you email it to me I can post it for you (if you like.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Status
Not open for further replies.