• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV to prohibit smoking on lanai/balcony in 2014

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just saw this in our WKORV welcome email - Mahalo WKORV Management
BREATHE EASY

Effective January 1, 2014, The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas will adopt a modified smoking policy that prohibits smoking on the balcony/lanai of all villas. Presently, smoking is not permitted inside the villa, but is permissible on the outdoor balcony/lanai. Smoking is still prohibited in the enclosed areas around the swimming pools, in the restaurants and the children's play areas.

If signs of smoking are detected in your villa, a $250 fee will be applied to your folio. For those who wish to smoke during their stay, designated smoking areas will be made available throughout the resort in compliance with local Maui County and State of Hawaii regulations and ordinances, which limit smoking within 20 feet of a permanent structure and/or building.

Mahalo for your compliance and adherence to this policy.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great news! I wonder if something similar will be implemented for WPORV.

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy your lanai while your neighbor chain smokes away.

Ryan

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I agree - it is lousy to have to put up with the stank of someone's nasty habit while trying to enjoy the fresh air of Hawaii (or anywhere for that matter). We had a chain smoker below us during a visit and had to adjust our time of being on the lanai, and closing the sliding door, to coincide with them sucking down those cancer sticks. I hope they implement at WPORV, but our latest welcome letter for WPROV states that smoking is allowed on balconies (sadly). Too bad this doesn't apply until 2014 - will have to cross fingers for our upcoming trip not to have a smoker below us.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, so much for me wanting to go to this resort before 2014. Where we live is so non-smoking friendly that I sometimes forget what it used to be like. Occasionally we get a reminder when some business sets up- and/or allows a congregation of smokers surrounding the entrance. I feel like I'm having to hold my breath and run a gauntlet to get to/from the building. Then there are the locales, like in Nevada, where a strong restaurant/bar lobby have kept smoking allowable inside with no more requirement than a 'non smoking' area. Hah! As I've said before, having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a pool.

Jim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Well, so much for me wanting to go to this resort before 2014.

The smoking at WKORV and Hawaii (in general) is not so bad as not to visit - especially since many visitors come from the west coast where smoking has been on the decline for a while.

Of course, there are always those youngsters that are 'immortal' and those that can't beat the addiction. I was in Basel Switzerland a couple of weeks ago and was amazed that smoking seemed to be on the increase from previous visits (walking along the Rhein - it seemed everyone was either smoking, just finished, or lighting up - and butts all over the ground...). And being in beautiful places like Paris is ruined by smokers and cigarette butts all over the ground - I avoid this places if I can. Luckily they have banned smoking on St John beaches...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people in Europe- and even more in Asia- seem to have not gotten the memo.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well this just means my future in-laws won't want to join us on future trips since this will be a deal breaker for them. :ignore:

As a non-smoker, I love it! :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yeah, a lot of people in Europe- and even more in Asia- seem to have not gotten the memo.

In my profession - I am amazed to see the high-%rate of patients who are/were smokers across all cancer and cardiovascular studies (not just lung cancer) as compared to the population median of smokers by region.

Re Asia (and Globally): Looming Lung Cancer Epidemic...
{perhaps this should be required reading instead of cigarette pack warnings...}

http://med.stanford.edu/biostatistics/abstract/RobertProctor_paper1.pdf

http://www.thepharmaletter.com/file...oming-in-asia-despite-decline-in-smoking.html

ok-ok... back on topic - as discussed previously on TUG - it was questionable according to HI law if smoking on resort balconies was allowed or not - glad to see action for the ban of smoking on WKORV lanais. I wonder if this applies to WKORVN as well?

Last edited:

Sunnydude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweet! When we were there last January there were smokers next to us and if we went outside all we could smell was their smoke. Looking forward to a smoke free visit in Feb!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Fantastic news! Smoking is just another example of how logic and expected outcomes have little influence on many people's decision making. It's a shame, but I'm glad that WKORV is making a positive step toward protecting the health of the majority of its guests by not allowing smoking except is designated locations (which hopefully will be far away from the residential locations).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well this just means my future in-laws won't want to join us on future trips since this will be a deal breaker for them. :ignore:

As a non-smoker, I love it! :)

I should be so lucky... ;)

I'm on the "great news" team. We've mostly had luck w/ little to no smoking neighbors, but we did have a pipe smoker check in the day we were leaving once. So glad I didn't have that for 2 weeks (though I would take a pipe smell over cigarette any day, but it is pretty permeating).

Edit: My only concern is if they add additional smoking areas along the beach (like the Marriott, which is along the beach walk).

Last edited:

jasonb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news. Has been an annoyance for quite some time.

WPORV - you're next... Hurry up!

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A year ago we had to occasionally not use our lanai due to a smoking couple below us. Lets's hope we don't have this problem this year since this policy starts next year.

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally do not suck fags or butts and I am glad that WKORV is instituting this policy. There have been many times that I have chosen to go inside from my OFD lanai because I did not want to smell the odor coming from the balcony below or to the side.

I do, however, fully support ones right to smoke as long as others do not need to smell it. I have known many very considerate smokers and I appreciate their consideration for others!

Speaking of consideration for others, my family and I will be at WKORV Aug 17-29 and I hope no one tries to "reserve" a lounge chair hours before they plan to use it.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I wonder if this will just be another rule that doesn't get enforced, like so many others. If you see or smell someone smoking, are you going to call the front desk? Will they send someone to investigate? Or, will they leave it up to the maids during the mid-week tidy or after check-out to find evidence of smoking, then add the $250 charge to the bill? I see this as more of a friendly reminder that the good people will obey, and those that don't care will just smoke and nothing will happen. We'll see. I see people smoking in no-smoking areas all the time. It bugs me, especially at placed like Disney World.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
It bugs me, especially at placed like Disney World.

Yup, was there this past February during Presidents Week, and there was a pregnant woman smoking in Disney right where my kids had to walk by because there was an event blocking traffic. It's frustrating to have to enforce these things on a personal level. While at SVR, people were smoking around the playground. I support people's rights to make their own decisions, but not when it impacts, directly, our experience or health. As W5* states, there are many considerate smokers out there; it's the selfish ones that bother me.

Slightly related, there was a rowdy group of college kids who showed up at SVR our second to last day and brought glass beer bottles into the pool. They were being loud and obnoxious, and no one did anything. Sure enough, bottle started breaking and there was glass on the cement in their area - just what I want my three young kids to experience. We had to be pretty vocal about it to get a response, which we eventually did.

There's a time and place for (most) everything.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am glad because it now gives me empowerment to do something about it if I choose to - whether it is to call front desk, call the room, or yell down to ask them to stop... which I will do (same with chair hogs, or idiots running around a pool with glass bottles). Currently, there is no recourse other than dealing with it, or leaving the lanai/shutting the door - because it is allowed. That is the difference. As smokers generally do not care about much when it comes to getting their fix (like all addictions) - I do expect at some point to have to deal with it, but at least I have the rules on my side to try and stop it.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I think the glass at the pool story is an excellent example of how inconsiderate people are. You may have right on your side, but don't expect this rule to be enforced any more than the other rules are. Starwood doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by telling them they can't do whatever they want. Ever see people dive into the pool - in 3 feet of water, by the NO DIVING sign? I've seen what happens when a kid breaks his neck and ends up in a wheelchair because of this. But, there are rules, and signs, and don't say we didn't warn ya! I hope people do call to complain about things like this. I believe too many people just sit back and do nothing.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the glass at the pool story is an excellent example of how inconsiderate people are. You may have right on your side, but don't expect this rule to be enforced any more than the other rules are. Starwood doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by telling them they can't do whatever they want. Ever see people dive into the pool - in 3 feet of water, by the NO DIVING sign? I've seen what happens when a kid breaks his neck and ends up in a wheelchair because of this. But, there are rules, and signs, and don't say we didn't warn ya! I hope people do call to complain about things like this. I believe too many people just sit back and do nothing.

Yeah, we did complain. The issue in addressing it ourselves was that it was several, muscular, and clearly intoxicated guys, one of whom was making out with his girlfriend at the side of the pool. We spoke to the people staffing the towel station, and then we went back again after watching one of the guys, while walking in the kids/fountain section with his glass bottle, turn his head and spit something disgusting into the pool.

People are incredibly inconsiderate at times, but it would not take much to train people at the resorts on all of these issues - smoking, glass bottles, etc.

I remember when we stayed at our first timeshare - the Aruba Beach Club. We were on our honeymoon, and we came back at the end of the day, went out on the balcony, and draped our towel to dry. Security called within 5 minutes to tell us to remove the towel, as it was against the rules. Certainly don't want to live under tyranical rule while on vacation, but these types of things can really turn a good day bad.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Hmmm... although I sympathize with those that are bothered by smokers, I also support the smoker's right to enjoy the comfort of his or her accommodations. Remember, if they are owners, they paid just as much as you did both in purchase price and maintenance fees, and I for one would be annoyed at this rule change. You bought a timeshare/condo and one of the limitations of such is that you are living in close proximity to others. You knew that smoking was allowed on the lanai when you bought the place. Because of that, I think this new rule is excessive and a bit of an overreach. And the idea that a neighboring smoker is harming the health of you or your family is outrageous.

Full disclosure: I do not smoke but have smoked a cigar on the lanai once or twice.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... although I sympathize with those that are bothered by smokers, I also support the smoker's right to enjoy the comfort of his or her accommodations. And the idea that a neighboring smoker is harming the health of you or your family is outrageous.

Full disclosure: I do not smoke but have smoked a cigar on the lanai once or twice.

It doesn't appear that you sympathize enough with non-smokers right to breathe untainted air. No one is interfering with a smokers right to enjoy the comfort of the accommodations. Only the burning of materials is to be banned- or charged for the cleaning of. My experience is that even smokers will not sit down wind of another smoker if given the choice. Heck. They even hold their own smoke in their down wind hand to keep the noxious smell out of their own face!

That a neighboring smoker is harming others is not outrageous. It is proven FACT. Do a quick search for the effects of second hand smoke.

You do not have a defensible position, my friend.

Jim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hmmm... although I sympathize with those that are bothered by smokers, I also support the smoker's right to enjoy the comfort of his or her accommodations. Remember, if they are owners, they paid just as much as you did both in purchase price and maintenance fees, and I for one would be annoyed at this rule change. You bought a timeshare/condo and one of the limitations of such is that you are living in close proximity to others. You knew that smoking was allowed on the lanai when you bought the place. Because of that, I think this new rule is excessive and a bit of an overreach. And the idea that a neighboring smoker is harming the health of you or your family is outrageous.

Accept that not-so-innocent smoke lingers into other's breathing space (aka air) - and I believe our right to breathe fresh air is far greater than their supposed 'right to smoke' and pollute the air that WE all breath. Also, this non-smoking rule is aligned with Hawaii's laws on smoking - there was a TUG thread discussing this a while back.

It is not my health I am concerned with (although health concerns over 2nd hand smoke is a scientific fact back by peer-reviewed publications - not mindless dribble) - it is the stank from the cigarette that I am forced to breath that bothers me (or is it their right to make me leave my balcony and shut the door) - just so the smoker's 'rights' are not violated (what a crock of BS...).

If you care to breath it - fine with me - but don't force it on me (as I am suppressing a poor unfortunate soul who just wants to puff down another because their nicotine plasma levels drop) - I prefer my air pollution-free.

ADDED - this thread was the one I was referring to
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147404

btw - I am pro-vaporizing nicotine (aka eCigarettes) As well as another pkant material. I play in a home poker game and a few smoking players have transitioned to eCigs - much nicer. I have discovered it is the combustion that bothers me (as well as the added chemicals) - aka the stank

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Until a few years ago, this is exactly what my husband would have said. Unfortunately, something has changed and now smoke triggers an asthma attack in him. We discovered this the hard way while traveling in Europe. It was frightening - he was doubled over in the middle of the street in Salzburg. Luckily he had his rescue inhaler in the hotel room. I didn't know what to do so I just kept telling him that he had to walk back. It took forever and is a testament to his strong will. But I don't ever want to go through that again. His reaction to smoke has only gotten worse and I'm thankful that we live in a place where it's not too hard to avoid. It seems fair that you should have a place to smoke your cigar, but not at the expense of causing someone else to have an asthma attack. No one is saying that you can't smoke, just that you can't smoke in close proximity to others.