• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I guess we've hit that age

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In years past I've never really worried about travel insurance for our vacations because we've just never had need for it. Seems as if that's changing rapidly.

In the past two years we've had to cancel a cruise due to illness, which was covered by insurance, cancelled one timeshare vacation which wasn't covered but, we did a late deposit to save some value, and now I'm sitting in Colorado when we should be in Branson because we needed to attened a funeral rather than take the long weekend trip we had planned. This weekends cancelation wasn't covered by insurance either.

To be honest, if I covered all our vacations with insurance, the cost of the insurance would still far outweigh the loss of value from either of our timeshare cancelations. The fallout from illness has created additional costs of rearranging trips, but those costs would not have been covered anyway.

So, for 10+ years we've run between the raindrops as far as sickness or deaths in the family when taking vacations. These past couple of years it seems to be catching up with us. I guess it's time to start thinking about plan B and/or covering the longer trips with insurance so as to not lose all our value when we have to cancel for unforseen reasons.

On the plus side, the hotel we're in accepts pets, so our dog got to make the trip with us rather than being boarded in a kennel because there would have been no family to watch her. So she's a relatively happy camper.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug, you are so correct age has caught up with our generation.

Illness ( parents, family & friends) and funerals ( death of immediate family members & friends, co-workers) has caused so many changes to our vacation plans over the last ten (10) years.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Its kind of funny that you brought this topic up Doug. We started doing trip insurance 2 years ago on any trip with airfare involved.

With our Worldmark there is a travel protection product offered for about $60 a year that covers all of our group when we stay at Worldmark.

Bill

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I decided the time had come to buy trip insurance for a cruise we booked with the kids; I was really ticked about spending the extra money. Since then, I've gotten insurance for every cruise (while gnashing my teeth). I haven't, yet, started insuring just because we have airfare booked----but it could happen.

We also now carry air evaculation insurance all the time. We have an incredibly inexpensive policy (about $60.00 a year and it covers both of us) that we absolutely know is a good one because we know a person who has had to use it. It applies anytime we're 150 miles from home. Having this one irritates me, too--just the thought of needing to have it, not the cost.

In many ways, I don't mind, and even appreciate some of the aspects of, getting older; but there are a lot of ways that make me wish I were still younger than I am.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat, can you post that evacuation insurance info or else PM me with the info? It sounds like a good way to gain peace of mind especially if there are out of the country trips planned.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Doug I hear you brother! I think age 50 was "that point" for me/us.

If you have a lot of travel each year, you may want to look into an annual travel insurance plan vs. buying on a per trip basis. I personally don't feel that need as I only take one (or two) trips a year that would be "at risk" . . . but I have a friend who travels extensively (work and personal) and he has always supported annual travel insurance plans.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We know that for certain we have hit that age. We have been insuring the 'expensive' trips for several years. Cruises, guided land tours, etc. Now we are insuring all of them. DW's dad- 95 and still with us- though failing- and the fact that we are both on Medicare now without coverage outside the USA forces us to buy supplemental health and evacuation insurance. It's just a cost of travel.

Fortunately, so far the insurance has just been a waste of money. No claims. But eventually, we will have to cancel a vacay or come home early, or Heaven forbid, get medical care abroad.

Such is life.

Jim

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't go anywhere anymore, :eek: :eek: but as I remember our last trip to Hawaii, I used travel insurance. I agree that anymore, at my age, insuring larger expenses like this makes sense.

But this is way off topic, but this thread got me to wonder, just how many younger folks are actually out there buying timeshares now? I know they are still pumping them out, but my assumption, is it really was more of a thing about "our" generation (which I assume is that most Tuggers are at least 45 to 50 years and above???

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't go anywhere anymore, :eek: :eek: but as I remember our last trip to Hawaii, I used travel insurance. I agree that anymore, at my age, insuring larger expenses like this makes sense.

But this is way off topic, but this thread got me to wonder, just how many younger folks are actually out there buying timeshares now? I know they are still pumping them out, but my assumption, is it really was more of a thing about "our" generation (which I assume is that most Tuggers are at least 45 to 50 years and above???

I am sub-40. Less than a year in, and timesharing has changed my life. Thanks, timeshares!

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think trip insurance is related to several factors such as age, general health of all travelers, retired, risk tolerance, etc.

If doing must book at time of reservation or a couple days thereafter or major exclusions apply!

In my case where Medicare does not apply outside USA full coverage is mandatory for Mexico, cruises, etc.. Bells and whistles like emergency evacuation, trip interruption expenses , car rental coverage in Mexico are icing on cake. Policy is about $250 and and comp and collision in Mexico is about 1/2 that. The reason is so cheap is not likely to be able to file a claim.

One thing to keep in mind if a time share will not cover MF as insurance company says cannot value. So, if covering that buy when you book reservation.

Like car insurance do some simple calcuations. $40K car with $500 deductible costs say $600. I would do collision and comp! 5+ year olde car with $500 deductible and $400 premium and maybe collect $3K-$4K I am not so sure!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been timesharing since my 20s, and am now in my late 30s. I haven't yet purchased insurance, but my mother (just retired this year) has started to purchase it on more extensive/expensive trips. (She had a disk issue that flared up while on a tall ship Caribbean cruise a half-dozen or so years ago, and while she toughed it out--I have no idea how--I think it scared her a little about having medical issues overseas.)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've been timesharing since my 20s, and am now in my late 30s.

You are still but a child... at least to many of us old-coggers.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
we have spot messengers that we always take when we travel. It is always nice to get that text when one of our family members is out and about and hiking or whatnot that says everything is ok. (DS is deployed and he sends spots when it is allowable - really nice to know HE is ok) There is also a panic button that calls for emergency assistance if needed. DD has gotten to be a world traveler and I carry evacuation insurance on her - I believe it was $100/year but worth it for my piece of mind.

We seem to go lots of places that don't have decent cell coverage but the spot is satelitte based so the messages always come through.

Gussie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat, we are also interested in the evacuation insurance, especially since you have experience with the company. Thanks!

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Check what your credit card offers for travel/medical/cancellation insurance. We pay $99/year for as many trips as we take of 40 days or less for my husband and I in total. You can't beat the price. A few years ago we got stuck in Germany when the volcano in Iceland grounded all the airlines. All it took was one call and our hotel as well as other expenses were covered without any question and I had the money back within 2 weeks of filing the claim.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I had no idea Medicare didn't give you coverage outside the US. That's so good to know since I reach that age in Dec. Thanks.

Pat, I'd also like the info on your insurance. Thanks.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When you get secondary insurance, check with that, it may cover out of US.

Fern

I had no idea Medicare didn't give you coverage outside the US. That's so good to know since I reach that age in Dec. Thanks.

Pat, I'd also like the info on your insurance. Thanks.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Insurance

We are also at the age that I am taking out insurance for certain trips. One of our dear friends was on a trip to Italy and had a stroke, spent weeks in the hospital and then had to have a private plane with doctor and nurse to get home. Cost was over the top, but fortunately they had insurance, so it was taken care of. I don't think I would care too much if it was someplace I could drive to.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Medicare supplement may be different than mine (BC), but as a supplement, if Medicare doesn't cover, the supplement doesn't either. You need to designate your travel insurance as primary coverage outside the US. Makes it doubly important to shop for coverage and not just for the lowest cost.

Jim

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has has been a while since I researched so things may have changed. I went with Medicare Advantage via AARP.

As I understood supplement, it just paid dedutibles and co-pays. No primary coverage. So if Medicare did not pay, all it would cover is the difference in what Medicare would have paid and what was reasonable and customary!

Since many supplement polices one would have to look at one he has.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Gussie and Pat, I just sent you each a message--but just in case someone else is interested, here's the information:

It's through the Diver Alert Network (no, we aren't now and never were divers). The friend who told us about it was in Bali when her husband wound up in the hospital for over two weeks. The evacuation people called every day to check on his progress and coordinate, and they flew them both back first class when the doctors in Bali thought he could fly.

When I went to the site to buy it, I clicked on insurance--it was DEFINITELY not $60.00 a year for both of us. I called her back and she got on the computer to walk me through it--so I'll walk you through it in advance.

You want to join the network (DAN). That's ALL you want. Do not click on insurance. The insurance is for diving and costs a lot and has nothing to do with the evacuation insurance. The evacuation insurance is included just for having joined the network. You'll want a family membership. You get a nice magazine with pretty pictures, and they'll send you your insurance cards.

As I said, if I didn't know a person who has had to use it, I'd say it can't possibly be any good for $60.00 a year, but it is. I guess they have so many young members who stay healthy that the insurance doesn't have to cost much.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

Pat

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Supplemental Policies with Medicare:

The supplemental policies pay the 20% of the bill that Medicare doesn't cover, which most of the time doesn't amount to much, but of course, with anything major, that could be a lot.

I have checked, and some apply out of the U.S.; some don't. Through my husband, we have access to an excellent policy for little cost with Hartford. I called to check on it, and it's just like the policy we currently have through my "used-to-be work" EXCEPT THAT IT COVERS NOTHING OUTSIDE THE U.S.

The policy we have signed up for covers anything that counts as an emergency out of the country. That's important for us because we live in Mexico half the year and travel outside the country at other times, too.

The only time I've needed it was for an eye infection on a cruise. I tried to use the insurance we had purchased with the cruise line--not such a good experience. I assumed since we had the insurance the cruise line offered, that was the place to file a claim, but it wasn't. They wanted proof first that I had already submitted the claim to MY insurance. I said "But it's Medicare." They said they knew Medicare wouldn't pay, but they would have to have a claim form from Medicare saying they wouldn't pay. Then I called the supplemental people (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) and they said to simply submit the bill to them. They paid all of it.

Looks to me, though, as if the cruise medical is pretty much useless--and since I have the evacuation insurance, I don't need that part of their insurance; it's really only good for the cost of the tickets.

Last edited: