• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why You Should Not Drive in Boston

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Your roads are strange. We got lost just getting out of the airport. :D

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your roads are strange. We got lost just getting out of the airport. :D

Yes they are. When you think of it, Boston was established in 1630, but the roads, cow paths, actually, pre-date 1620.

It's a town laid out differently, but you get used to it.

A more modern day nightmare is the 6 lanes merging into the 2 lane tunnel from the airport.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We're living in Santa Fe now. Talk about strangely laid out towns. :D Most of the roads were either cart paths or burro trails. We find it charming though. And of course we don't have near the number of people, or cars, as you do in Boston.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The very first time I went to Boston back in the day, I got stuck in the roundabout near Logan on my way to Lynn. It took 3-4 trips around the circle before I realized I was not going to be let out, I had to get out. So I avoided eye contact with anyone, turned the wheel and drove out. Never had a problem after that. :D

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My office was in Billerica, about 30 miles N. of Boston proper, so I avoided the city, per-se like the plague! I was fortunate that we had people and much more city-friendly equipment than my bringing a West Coast, 72', 13.5 foot high vehicle into the city. I seldom ventured inside 128. At times, of course it was unavoidable- there or in Manhattan. Been there, done that. Bought the t-shirt.

Incidentally, here in our small city, some folks are rebuilding a downtown gathering place where fountains flow, and bands play and the community has movies and outdoor plays. There was a contest to name the new space, and I said it has to be 'The Downtown Common'. So it is, and I got the credit like it was something original! Hah!

Jim

persia

Reaction score
Boston roads are laid out on the English pattern, they are very much like Sydney or London. Main streets with neighbourhoods branching off them, often changing direction and/or name when you change local government area. The neighbourhood streets go nowhere and you never drive on them. The idea is to keep traffic on a few streets. If you are driving you likely will never know more than a couple percent of the streets, unless you are a cabbie....

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Love your "recovery" comment :hysterical:
Good thing we walked when we met you for dinner, or did we drive???

Reaction score
I've driven both a car (I also got lost leaving Logan) and a 70' long 13'6" semi into Cambridge. I think it's like NYC, take your chance, see a few "one-finger salutes", and keep moving. My wife used to live in Melrose, she never drove to Boston, always taking the "T" with her Charley Pass.

TS

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
While Boston ranked 199 out of 200 from Allstate's survey, my city ranked #1! :banana:

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post--the-safest-drivers-in-america-in-2014

The safest drivers in America, for the fourth year in a row, hail from Fort Collins, Colorado, according to the 10th annual “Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report.”

Drivers in the city of 150,000 north of Denver can expect to go 14.2 years between accidents, according to the insurance giant’s claims data. Contrast that with 200th-ranked Worcester, Massachusetts, where drivers go just 4.3 years between claims.

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Drove in once. There are no signs in the downtown old Boston area! Amazingly I was able to get to my business meeting and get out! Not sure how!:ponder:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drove in once. There are no signs in the downtown old Boston area! Amazingly I was able to get to my business meeting and get out! Not sure how!:ponder:

Welcome to BAHSTAN!!! Signs are an insult 'round these parts. I have lived in the area going on 34 years, I work downtown (across from CH) and although I can drive from one end of the city to the other, I can only give people walking directions. Driving is far more complex as many streets go one way or the other without any rhyme or reason, unlike NYC where one street goes uptown, the next downtown!. Still and all, we love our city. Caveat emptor, tourists beware - do not attempt to drive while visiting and you will have far better experience :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like driving in Rome or Naples, You'll LOVE Boston.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also have an increasing number of people on bikes - however we do NOT have dedicated bike lanes. Thus the cyclists whiz in and out of lanes of moving traffic and it is treacherous!

persia

Reaction score
It's interesting when your satellite navigation says turn right and there are 5 possible right turns...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lane markings? Yield signs? One way streets? Pedestrian crosswalks? Hah! Merely suggestions.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I knew this thirty some years ago without Allstate telling me.

My Aunt drove me downtown to visit my uncle who worked in, I believe, the John Hancock building.

I'm putting my foot through the floor just remembering the ride.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) Was in Boston years ago ~25 and remember being very thankful I wasn't driving, remember it seemed like 8 lanes were all merging into one at one point. Mostly took the subway with directions not to go past a certain area/stop from my brother who was living near Harvard. Loved the city, many fond memories.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) Was in Boston years ago ~25 and remember being very thankful I wasn't driving, remember it seemed like 8 lanes were all merging into one at one point. Mostly took the subway with directions not to go past a certain area/stop from my brother who was living near Harvard. Loved the city, many fond memories.

Directions consist of "when you get to Dunks, bang a right". Translated " when you get to Dunkin Donuts, turn right". Only problem us ther are 6 Dunks in 4 block radius!

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh I am so so laughing, I have to admit, Boston drivers are scary! I used to get lost coming out of Logan everytime. We had a saying drive, don't look as not a soul would let you out of an intersection etc. All game playing...guess it is no wonder I can drive in Guadalajara! ;)