• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Subletting partial weeks

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In another thread a poster asked about a cleaning fee for her Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas one bedroom she got through an RCI exchange. She stated she was staying the first part of the week, and other group was staying for the second part-- which is in actuality subletting the one bedroom villa.

The poster went on to say that the cast member at the front desk did a workaround Disney's strict policies of having each person on the reservation listed on the paperwork. In this case the cast member allowed the other group to be placed on the reservation as being on day passes.

Although, I am sure, the OP of that thread had no duplicitous plans to bypass Disney's policies, that's exactly what happened. And, I blame the cast member who agreed to the Day Passes.

If this policy were allowed then our villas could become a revolving door for
uninvested guests. They would be paying a very small amount of $ for a Deluxe, Home Away From Home Resort! That small amount wouldn't get them into one of Disney's value resorts.

And, they would be doing so without their names on the reservation. This practice opens the door for rowdy party goers, or underage teens, or downright thieves-- who are all there anonymously

I know Disney doesn't want this going on. It would be counterintuitive.

What do you think? How do you feel about this practice?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
In another thread a poster asked about a cleaning fee for her Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas one bedroom she got through an RCI exchange. She stated she was staying the first part of the week, and other group was staying for the second part-- which is in actuality subletting the one bedroom villa.

The poster went on to say that the cast member at the front desk did a workaround Disney's strict policies of having each person on the reservation listed on the paperwork. In this case the cast member allowed the other group to be placed on the reservation as being on day passes.

Although, I am sure, the OP of that thread had no duplicitous plans to bypass Disney's policies, that's exactly what happened. And, I blame the cast member who agreed to the Day Passes.

If this policy were allowed then our villas could become a revolving door for
uninvested guests. They would be paying a very small amount of $ for a Deluxe, Home Away From Home Resort! That small amount wouldn't get them into one of Disney's value resorts.

And, they would be doing so without their names on the reservation. This practice opens the door for rowdy party goers, or underage teens, or downright thieves-- who are all there anonymously

I know Disney doesn't want this going on. It would be counterintuitive.

What do you think? How do you feel about this practice?

Is the poster collecting a rental fee for the few days? If so then I'd have a problem with it because RCI rules prohibit rentals of exchanges. But they do allow exchanges to be gifted, so if the poster is gifting the few days to someone then I think it's good that DVC allowed a work-around. For me it's all about whether or not rules are being broken. :)

As far as renters getting into timeshares via owner rentals at a much lower cost than owners absorb, as long as the companies allow rentals of ownership reservations then in my opinion it's useless to complain about it or disagree that it should happen. Owners have the right to set their own rental rates, period. By the way, it's not an issue unique to DVC.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the poster collecting a rental fee for the few days? If so then I'd have a problem with it because RCI rules prohibit rentals of exchanges. But they do allow exchanges to be gifted, so if the poster is gifting the few days to someone then I think it's good that DVC allowed a work-around. For me it's all about whether or not rules are being broken. :)

As far as renters getting into timeshares via owner rentals at a much lower cost than owners absorb, as long as the companies allow rentals of ownership reservations then in my opinion it's useless to complain about it or disagree that it should happen. Owners have the right to set their own rental rates, period. By the way, it's not an issue unique to DVC.

My response is specific to Disney Vacation Club's rules. As one of the security measures which began after 9/11, Disney REQUIRES the names, addresses, and phone numbers of every adult in the travel party and the ages of each child.

In your second paragraph you speak about owners renting their property out which is not the case here. This woman is NOT an owner who can set her own rate. She's an exchanger. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my OP. Disney Vacation Club does Not allow re-renting of RCI exchanges, nor does RCI.

What is happening, is either via cash or goodwill, someone is staying at a Disney Vacation Club resort Without being on the reservation. I don't feel comfortable with that as its a clear violation of Disney's rules!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I guess you would need to clarify this with DVC. If they allow exchangers to split weeks among family and friends, like most resorts do, but have a system that does not allow more names than the occupancy permits and does not allow names to be deleted after the first family members leave, it could be a programming problem and in order to do it they take the names, phones and addresses when adding the 2nd party to the day passes for the applicable days they will be there.

If I use the first half of an exchange anywhere and then leave in Monday (because I have to get back to work) and my mother arrives the same day and I hand her the keys, I am not subletting the unit to her. If it is easy and convenient I will have the resort do a cleaning, if not I clean the unit myself. Just because DVC's computer system doesn't allow it doesn't mean it is against the rules and that is what needs to be clarified. If you find out that it is you should notify them of what happened with the front desk and the guest passes and suggest that the DVC cast members be educated on the proper procedures.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess you would need to clarify this with DVC. If they allow exchangers to split weeks among family and friends, like most resorts do, but have a system that does not allow more names than the occupancy permits and does not allow names to be deleted after the first family members leave, it could be a programming problem and in order to do it they take the names, phones and addresses when adding the 2nd party to the day passes for the applicable days they will be there.

If I use the first half of an exchange anywhere and then leave in Monday (because I have to get back to work) and my mother arrives the same day and I hand her the keys, I am not subletting the unit to her. If it is easy and convenient I will have the resort do a cleaning, if not I clean the unit myself. Just because DVC's computer system doesn't allow it doesn't mean it is against the rules and that is what needs to be clarified. If you find out that it is you should notify them of what happened with the front desk and the guest passes and suggest that the DVC cast members be educated on the proper procedures.

I hate to tattle on anyone. I'm just venting here.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not quite the same issue but similar.

I had two RCI exchanges last fall, same week, large party, at the same resort. I encountered the same issue because I wanted to check into both units because part of the family was coming later. I wanted to stay a few days in one room since it was going to be empty and then move to the other room (where I was sleeping on the couch) and I was not allowed to. The DVC people tried to make it work because they understood what I was trying to do and I paid all the fees and all the points and everyone in those two rooms was my guest. But they could not.

I think the issue would be easier to deal with in their computer system the other way around like your example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk