• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI New Trading Power

beachsands

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a peak Glenmore Sands week. With M/F over $360 and trading power of 10, I wonder if the resort will take the week back? How about we all write to the resort and ask them to put pressure on RCI regarding the valuation (or revaluation) of the the trading power assessment for South Africa weeks?

Well if they will take it back I have one they can have as well !

Joel :(

Dottie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well if they will take it back I have one they can have as well !

Joel :(

I wrote them about taking one back a year or so ago. They agreed and all I had to do was return the orriginal certificate of shares. It was only a white studio but I felt the trade power was no longer worth the levy. RCI still lists it in my account and I see it now has a trade power of only 8 so I am delighted to no longer own it.

grail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Change in Trading power??

i got two 2br dikhololo and it got a trading power of 17 and 23. deposited a year in advance.

just looked at my two 2br dikhololo deposit and their trading power have now changed to 24 and 26. Not bad...

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! My Lowveld week 15 just went from 18 to 26! Now I'm seeing things like I used to. Time to start hunting!

Dori

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What's a good trading power number?

kewanee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why some have changed and not others? None of my Sudwala or Durban Sands weeks received any bump in trading power. Some are red weeks and some white. I have deposits for 2010, 2011, and 2012. All of the DS are at 8.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why some have changed and not others? None of my Sudwala or Durban Sands weeks received any bump in trading power. Some are red weeks and some white. I have deposits for 2010, 2011, and 2012. All of the DS are at 8.

If RCI's valuations were done honestly, I would say it was the ever changing factors of supply and demand, but we know from many of the points assignments that RCI has a heavy handed thumb on the scales, substantially overpointing some resorts while substantially underpointing others. So I would say it is anyone's guess as to why they change.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe RCI is actually bumping up deposits that turn out to be "peak weeks", whose calendars often aren't established in South Africa when RCI deposits are first made.

If so, that's as it should be. It means the deposit calculator won't ever be very accurate, is all.

Sudwala markets its weeks as either peak, or not - sort of a cross between floating and fixed, where if you own peak you'll always get a SA holiday week, and if you don't, you never will - definitely different from Dikhololo, I formerly owned at both - so maybe Sudwala & other similar SA resort's TPU's won't change much.

OTOH Dikhololo and maybe Louveld Lodge and maybe some others, either assign floating weeks, or are actual fixed weeks regardless of SA peak week schedule - so some will get lucky, and what you deposit might end up being peak.

Just speculatin'. :shrug:

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Maybe RCI is actually bumping up deposits that turn out to be "peak weeks", whose calendars often aren't established in South Africa when RCI deposits are first made.

If so, that's as it should be. It means the deposit calculator won't ever be very accurate, is all.

I think that is an AWESOME explanation. That never dawned on me. I'm happy that I received 27 more TPU for my 3 deposits (that I had already added together and made an exchange with). :)

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is nuts! My 2010 p2 is still at 20, but the 2011 has popped up to 26 from 14, and the newly deposited 2012 is 14. I wonder if they are so hazy on what the demand will be, they have a soft value to be safe and adjust as the picture becomes clearer.

Last edited:

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
All of my "pre" points deposits are at higher rates than my newer deposits which are still at the "top" (if you could call it that) of the range for my weeks. So my old deposits are actually showing values higher than is shown as the ceiling on the newer deposits - strange.

Susie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walk away?

what happens if you just walk away from SA timeshare. Can they get to your credit report? My TP is so low doesn't pay to own it

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The peak weeks are owned as peak weeks. None of the weeks are assigned to members until the school calendar comes out, and then they assign each of the peak weeks to their appropriate owners. Peak weeks at most resorts are unit specific and week specific (''the first week of the Fall school holiday . . .''). The flexi-week owners get what ever weeks are left, but not a peak week.

Sudwala markets its weeks as either peak, or not - sort of a cross between floating and fixed, where if you own peak you'll always get a SA holiday week, and if you don't, you never will - definitely different from Dikhololo, I formerly owned at both - so maybe Sudwala & other similar SA resort's TPU's won't change much.

OTOH Dikhololo and maybe Louveld Lodge and maybe some others, either assign floating weeks, or are actual fixed weeks regardless of SA peak week schedule - so some will get lucky, and what you deposit might end up being peak.