• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve questions before buying

ilikeallofu

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting familiar with TS... literally, started looking over the weekend, signed up for TUG and Redweek. Not sure what I'm really for, but started to search for something that I plan to use starting next Summer.

Based on the reading, I'm picking Orlando as home region cause that'll be about 14 hour drive from where we live (MD). So, even in worse case scenarios where airfare are high, we could still drive and get to spend the week. After doing lot of reading, I feel like Marriott's Vacation Club is best choice for us.

Within MVC, I think I'm really interested in the Lakeshore Reserve, just cause it's new and the reviews were really great. However, I'll probably trade/exchange to go to Busch Gardens in VA, other East Coast vacation places as it'll be closer to us.

I've done lot of research for Lakeshore, and am interested in 2 BR, the lock-off ones where there're 2 separate kitchens. I still have few questions and am hoping someone can help answer them:

1) Based on the floor plan, I see there're few different plans, but am not sure if it matters which floor plan I purchase, as long as I purchase 2 BR plan. In other words, will I get the actual floor plan that I purchase if I decide to stay or trade? The reason I ask is because lot of the listing shows the Unit as float, which I'm assuming it could be anything w/ 2 BR? Or, does the developer sells the exact Unit, which I'll own? As stated, I would like 2BR, 2 kitchen lock-off, 1 King Bed, 2 Queen Bed, plus 2 sleeper sofa. So, not sure if I should inquire all the actual detail of the Unit the seller is selling before making an offer?

2) I'll probably use the Lakeshore next yr and maybe 3 or 4 yrs after that. In that case, is it better to buy a cheaper Unit/MF as I'll be trading points anyways? Not so versed on the point system yet, but I'm assuming points are based on the Unit type, so a 2BR from Lakeshore is going to be higher than 2BR from other Marriott's older units?

thanks in advance for any help and I apologize if these questions have been answered before... i'm still searching through any threads w/ Lakeshore and still have tons of pages to go thru :)

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Are you planning to purchase this week on the resale market, or via Marriott Resale Department. If on the resale market, you cannot enroll the week in the points system. If you purchase it via Marriott Resale Department, you will also need to pony up for a like amount of Trust points...which would be very costly.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting familiar with TS... literally, started looking over the weekend, signed up for TUG and Redweek. Not sure what I'm really for, but started to search for something that I plan to use starting next Summer.

Based on the reading, I'm picking Orlando as home region cause that'll be about 14 hour drive from where we live (MD). So, even in worse case scenarios where airfare are high, we could still drive and get to spend the week. After doing lot of reading, I feel like Marriott's Vacation Club is best choice for us.

Within MVC, I think I'm really interested in the Lakeshore Reserve, just cause it's new and the reviews were really great. However, I'll probably trade/exchange to go to Busch Gardens in VA, other East Coast vacation places as it'll be closer to us.

I've done lot of research for Lakeshore, and am interested in 2 BR, the lock-off ones where there're 2 separate kitchens. I still have few questions and am hoping someone can help answer them:

1) Based on the floor plan, I see there're few different plans, but am not sure if it matters which floor plan I purchase, as long as I purchase 2 BR plan. In other words, will I get the actual floor plan that I purchase if I decide to stay or trade? The reason I ask is because lot of the listing shows the Unit as float, which I'm assuming it could be anything w/ 2 BR? Or, does the developer sells the exact Unit, which I'll own? As stated, I would like 2BR, 2 kitchen lock-off, 1 King Bed, 2 Queen Bed, plus 2 sleeper sofa. So, not sure if I should inquire all the actual detail of the Unit the seller is selling before making an offer?

2) I'll probably use the Lakeshore next yr and maybe 3 or 4 yrs after that. In that case, is it better to buy a cheaper Unit/MF as I'll be trading points anyways? Not so versed on the point system yet, but I'm assuming points are based on the Unit type, so a 2BR from Lakeshore is going to be higher than 2BR from other Marriott's older units?

thanks in advance for any help and I apologize if these questions have been answered before... i'm still searching through any threads w/ Lakeshore and still have tons of pages to go thru :)

Suggest you rent a few nights from an owner or from Marriott before you seriously consider putting any long term money + commitment (i.e. yearly maintenance fees, etc.).

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

The 2BR unit you are referring to is a 2BR Deluxe. You cannot reserve this unit with just a 2BR ownership. You must own a 2BR Deluxe, which would give the right to reserve the double 1BR unit or the 2BR townhouse. The maintenance fees on this unit are higher than the standard 2BR ownership. Lakeshore itself probably has the highest fees of any timeshare in Orlando.

Based on your comment "Unit the seller is selling before making an offer" it sure looks like you are buying outside of Marriott. You will not be able to utilize the point system. If you did buy this unit from Marriott you are looking at at least a $60K purchase in order to utilize points.

Based on your needs you probably need to do more research. Lakeshore is an easy trade with a much lower maintenance fee. Williamsburg is a very easy trade, but buy a resale lock-off in Williamsburg might be a good option for you.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is a difference between a Deluxe 2BR floor plan and a regular 2BR. The Deluxe 2BR is the unit that locks off in to two 1BR units. The other 2BR units are either dedicated flats, dedicated townhomes or 2BR lock offs. If you own one type, regular or deluxe, you can't book in to the other. So if you want a unit that locks off in to two 1BR units, you have to buy the 2BR deluxe. If you buy a regular 2BR lock off that locks off in to a 1BR and a studio, that is all you will be able to book.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The regular 2BR ownership can book the 2BR flat or the 2BR standard lock-off. The 2BR Deluxe ownership can book the 2BR Townhome or the 2BR Deluxe lock-off.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The regular 2BR ownership can book the 2BR flat or the 2BR standard lock-off. The 2BR Deluxe ownership can book the 2BR Townhome or the 2BR Deluxe lock-off.

Thanks for the clarification, I did not know that the 2BR townhouse was considered a deluxe for reservation purposes.

ilikeallofu

Reaction score
Are you planning to purchase this week on the resale market, or via Marriott Resale Department. If on the resale market, you cannot enroll the week in the points system. If you purchase it via Marriott Resale Department, you will also need to pony up for a like amount of Trust points...which would be very costly.

Seems like I may need to do some more homework. I read about the point system not being part of the resale, but I thought that was only for Marriott hotel trading. I thought, I'll still be able to trade my week bought through resale using II exchange program for other resorts. Is that not the case? Or, if i bought a resale Lakeshore, am I stuck w/ only that resort for my week?

ilikeallofu

Reaction score
Based on your comment "Unit the seller is selling before making an offer" it sure looks like you are buying outside of Marriott. You will not be able to utilize the point system. If you did buy this unit from Marriott you are looking at at least a $60K purchase in order to utilize points.

I see Marriotts Resale listing through Marriotts website from $13k-$17k, so not sure what's the "$60k" purchase comment is? Can u please elaborate? I believe I may've found an answer... are you saying the Deluxe will be appx $60k vs the regular 2BR, which are listed on the site I referred to? thanks

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Seems like I may need to do some more homework. I read about the point system not being part of the resale, but I thought that was only for Marriott hotel trading. I thought, I'll still be able to trade my week bought through resale using II exchange program for other resorts. Is that not the case? Or, if i bought a resale Lakeshore, am I stuck w/ only that resort for my week?

I see Marriotts Resalel listing through Marriotts website from $13k-$17k, so not sure what's the "$60k" purchase comment is? Can u please elaborate? thanks

If you purchase the week resale (from Marriott or an outside source), you can still trade for other resorts via II, you just cannot use the Marriott internal Destination Club points program.

As for the $60K estimate, that would be if you purchase the week AND a like number of Trust points direct from Marriott Resale Department. You talked about the points program along with the week and the only way you can enroll a week in the Marriott points program today is to purchase the week AND a like number of Trust points and the cost of the Trust points would likely be the difference between your number and the $60K estimate.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

ilikeallofu

Reaction score
If you purchase the week resale (from Marriott or an outside source), you can still trade for other resorts via II, you just cannot use the Marriott internal Destination Club points program.

As for the $60K estimate, that would be if you purchase the week AND a like number of Trust points direct from Marriott Resale Department. You talked about the points program along with the week and the only way you can enroll a week in the Marriott points program today is to purchase the week AND a like number of Trust points and the cost of the Trust points would likely be the difference between your number and the $60K estimate.

This's very helpful... now, I'm back to reading the links u provided, even though I read it once, but obviously i need to reread :) thanks

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
listing through Marriotts website from $13k-$17k, so not sure what's the "$60k" purchase comment is?

Fasttr said it best. It's the combo requirement of Marriott. DC points are very expensive. It sounds like II will work for you though, so I doubt you need DC points.

Lakeshore every 3 years would be best done through II trading. It's not a hard trade. Even July 4 and Christmas week which are high demand for Orlando both popped up for 2BR+ through instant trading just in the last week. I live 25 minutes away and we like it so much we stay there quite often on AC's and XYZ's.

A Tugger sold a 2BR Deluxe a while back. I think it went for around $5k. Lakeshore is high because it is new and there aren't many units but it will continue to decrease in resale value. The fees are so high and when they eventually finish the build out it will lose some of it's luster. The eventual resale value is likely to come down to just above the other nice Orlando Marriotts. There will still be very few units on the resale market so that part won't change.

Last edited:

live4life

Reaction score
Hi ilikeallofu:

Here's my take on your original post:

1) You are doing the right thing by asking around and reading opinions on TUG- keep doing so ...

2) I'm at Lakeshore now... I'm leaving in a few minutes (10 am checkout) and can tell you it is a nice resort; HOWEVER, stay a few nights the next two years before buying for a few reasons: a) you may like it and buy or b) you may choose not to buy based on your experience.

3) I had a friend who mentioned to me: "DON'T BUY IN ORLANDO" - buy near the beaches. (I have kids whose ages range from elementary school to College and I can tell you from experience that the kids absolutely LOVE IT but I also realize that they will leave the nest and then, if you're like me and may continue to timeshare- Orlando is not the best place to vacation as the ocean is a better place after all the kids are "gone." Certainly, the kids love the beach and can and hopefully will vacation with us as they get older; however, my wife and I love the beach resorts. You can always trade into Orlando!

3) I used to be a Destination Points original member (without legacy properties) and realized that at the 3k points I owned was NOT ENOUGH to do much with the school vacation time my non-College kids have. Not to mention that Marriott has readjusted a few properties with the new points system. In addition to renting any points you might need from a website in the event you really want to get into a specific property for a specific trip, you really need a certain amount of Dest Points (DP) if you want a prime week. Purchasing DP points today is really not cost effective.

4) Since you live in Maryland- check out Hilton Head properties (Barony, Grande Ocean to name a few). It certainly is a short drive from where you live and they trade well if you chose to do something else within reason.

5) Finally, I waited 3 years before I bought DP points. I stayed at various properties before buying (Grande Vista, Lakeshore [when it first opened], Barony, Beach Place, Oceana Palms {when it first opened}, Ford Colony, Fairview Villas) and decided to purchase DP points. Then, I bought via resale market at Ocean Pointe and Grande Ocean and through experience and monetary pain realized that the DP program for me is NOT worth it or cost effective. Therefore, experience Marriott without purchasing- unless money is really not an issue. Decide where you enjoy vacationing. Then, take the plunge IF YOU REALLY WANT TO. There will always be properties for sale (re-sale).

Good luck to you...

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reservations

I own a deluxe. We have not actually stayed there -yet (have reservations for later this year). We have been there on a day pass.

One note about reservations. Just because I own deluxe doesn't mean I can reserve a deluxe unit for the exact week I want. It's just like any other property, there is the 365 day rush for specific types of units for certain weeks. Same as with oceanfront owners at beach locations.

ilikeallofu

Reaction score
Hi ilikeallofu:

Here's my take on your original post:

1) You are doing the right thing by asking around and reading opinions on TUG- keep doing so ...

2) I'm at Lakeshore now... I'm leaving in a few minutes (10 am checkout) and can tell you it is a nice resort; HOWEVER, stay a few nights the next two years before buying for a few reasons: a) you may like it and buy or b) you may choose not to buy based on your experience.

3) I had a friend who mentioned to me: "DON'T BUY IN ORLANDO" - buy near the beaches. (I have kids whose ages range from elementary school to College and I can tell you from experience that the kids absolutely LOVE IT but I also realize that they will leave the nest and then, if you're like me and may continue to timeshare- Orlando is not the best place to vacation as the ocean is a better place after all the kids are "gone." Certainly, the kids love the beach and can and hopefully will vacation with us as they get older; however, my wife and I love the beach resorts. You can always trade into Orlando!

3) I used to be a Destination Points original member (without legacy properties) and realized that at the 3k points I owned was NOT ENOUGH to do much with the school vacation time my non-College kids have. Not to mention that Marriott has readjusted a few properties with the new points system. In addition to renting any points you might need from a website in the event you really want to get into a specific property for a specific trip, you really need a certain amount of Dest Points (DP) if you want a prime week. Purchasing DP points today is really not cost effective.

4) Since you live in Maryland- check out Hilton Head properties (Barony, Grande Ocean to name a few). It certainly is a short drive from where you live and they trade well if you chose to do something else within reason.

5) Finally, I waited 3 years before I bought DP points. I stayed at various properties before buying (Grande Vista, Lakeshore [when it first opened], Barony, Beach Place, Oceana Palms {when it first opened}, Ford Colony, Fairview Villas) and decided to purchase DP points. Then, I bought via resale market at Ocean Pointe and Grande Ocean and through experience and monetary pain realized that the DP program for me is NOT worth it or cost effective. Therefore, experience Marriott without purchasing- unless money is really not an issue. Decide where you enjoy vacationing. Then, take the plunge IF YOU REALLY WANT TO. There will always be properties for sale (re-sale).

Good luck to you...

Thank you very much for your response... You gave me a whole different perspective that I should look into... I've heard of TS before, but never paid too much attention to it and then heard it last week again and started looking into it... w/o the pressure from any sales person, I got wowed into all the nice resort pics and stuff and am so ready to buy one... I'll continue to do my search and look into Hilton properties as you suggested.

I really appreciate all the responses I got from TUGGERS... almost everyone's looking out for the best interest of others and that's hard to find these days... i'm glad i joined TUG and paid for it, which probably already saved me 1000 times my subscription fee.

Thank you... thank you to all.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of your needs, but for driving purposes I would buy in Hilton Head. That's what we did when we lived in NoVA. A one-day drive if you want about 12 hours or so from Fairfax County.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
HHI is good, but unless you plan to travel there, it isn't the most economical way. This is because HHI has no lock off units. You will get good trades, but you will always be trading a 2BR or 3BR unit. It will probably also cost more upfront than Lakeshore Reserve, though probably not much due to Lakeshore Reserve limited inventory on the resale market.