• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a place SVN could build a new resort that would tempt you to buy developer?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With any new timeshare development, if you just wait a few mos., there will be units for sale on the resale market. You don't have to buy retail, to but a TS at a new resort. At the Starwood resorts, there were units on the resale market, before the resort even opened.

Newportbeach

Reaction score
before the economic crash there was talk about starwood building a SVN resort at the westin turnbury hotel property in Scotland.

I recently stayed at Turnbury, and there is indeed a separate adjacent "housekeeping" section on the property, that could be used as a timeshare.
It is now used as a family style rental. I don't feel that existing project would be very exciting.

However, by staying at the main hotel, and using the cash and points approach we got a wonderful large ocean view room and very much enjoyed our stay.
My first choice would probably be a little closer to St. Andrews.

On a presentation at Westin Maui, I inquired about new Westin TS's and the agent said that I apparently did not understand that Starwood is in the Hotel business and timeshares are not a real focus, but rather a means to bring in
new people and maintain customer loyalty. I hope she is wrong and Starwood shows more leadership and growth.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am always tempted to buy developer from SVN because I enjoy attending their sales presentations.

My 1st choice of a new SVN resort location would be somewhere near Disneyland. Marriott got it right with NCV - beautiful ocean location, yet close enough to drive to the theme parks.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am always tempted to buy developer from SVN because I enjoy attending their sales presentations.

My 1st choice of a new SVN resort location would be somewhere near Disneyland. Marriott got it right with NCV - beautiful ocean location, yet close enough to drive to the theme parks.

There's a Sheraton a block away from Disneyland, and other SPG properties in the area. Plenty of other reasons to have a SVN location in SoCal close to the Pacific, but I suspect there are other, more affordable, areas for them to consider instead...assuming they are even planning on adding new locations.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
On a presentation at Westin Maui, I inquired about new Westin TS's and the agent said that I apparently did not understand that Starwood is in the Hotel business and timeshares are not a real focus, but rather a means to bring in new people and maintain customer loyalty. I hope she is wrong and Starwood shows more leadership and growth.

This is hilarious. I can only assume that salesperson is new...

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
One issue is that SVO seems to only develop SVN Voluntary resorts anymore - which is/was very misguided decision by the 'team' that makes such decisions - and whose leader (decider) should be fired (IMO). Very short-sighted...

I'm with you on this. Voluntary resorts are worth a lot less on the resale market. And there is no other product that I can think of which is worth 80%-90% less than what you paid for it 7 days earlier.

So even if I were willing to overlook rule # 1 (buy resale), I'd also have to forget about rule #2 I also tend to follow (buy mandatory). A good salesperson and the right incentives (retro etc) may make me forget about rule #1 - but when I think about the resale value of a developer purchase the moment after my right to rescind expires I get sick to my stomach.