• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading to Westin Kaanapali North on the 8th

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone!

I have been lurking off and on for the last 6 months. Our Westin Kaanapali trip is coming up next week :cheer: (traded for an SDO fall 1B wk). I have only been to Hawaii once, and never to Maui. I have travel books, and friends there, so we will be guided by experience. Any words of advice about Westin Kaanapali North I should know? Anything I should do before hand? Is anyone there right now?

Wishing everyone much happiness in 2010!

Deb

jnsywg

Reaction score
Great island, great resort!

Safeway store is south of the resort in Lahaina where we did most of our shopping on our two visits. Also a good local grocery store north of the resort. You need a car to go north, but free shuttle will take you to Safeway if you don't have a car.

We love Plantation House restaurant a 10 minute drive north of the resort. Make sure to have a reservation 15 minutes before sunset for amazing views!

For pools, from what I remember North pools are much warmer than South pools.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have been lurking off and on for the last 6 months. Our Westin Kaanapali trip is coming up next week :cheer: (traded for an SDO fall 1B wk). I have only been to Hawaii once, and never to Maui. I have travel books, and friends there, so we will be guided by experience. Any words of advice about Westin Kaanapali North I should know? Anything I should do before hand? Is anyone there right now?

Deb

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha! You will love WKORV. We will be arriving on 1/15 for 2 weeks.

Our favorite restaurant is Kimo's in Lahaina. A suggestion for breakfast Castaway Cafe at the Maui Ka'anapali Villas (just South of WKORV via the beachwalk/sidewalk). Another favorite of ours for breakfast and dinner is a small cafe called Java Jazz in the shopping center across Honokawai Highway from the Ka'anapali Beach Resort (just North of WKORV via the beachwalk and through the parking lot). Heads up on the wierd bohemian art - a bird cage full of Barbies in the buff, odd paintings, etc. Don't let that scare you off. Good coffee, good food and good music. Another favorite for breakfast is Moose McGillicuddy's in Lahaina.

If you like theater, you will love the production of Ulalena. It is a music, dance and narration production of the creation and culture of Maui. I am not 100% sure, but I think it is from the same production company who does Cirque du Soleil. It is expensive, but well worth it.

If you are interested in a luau, the Old Lahaina Luau does a nice job with their dinner and show. It may be worthwhile to make your advance reservation now, or check with the concierge at the resort. It sells out, so it is worth it to plan ahead if you want to go.

If you have a car, drive up to Haleakala to see the crater. If you go, make sure you take your winter coat. It gets really cold and windy up there. Go in the morning, then stop on the way back at the Kula Lodge for breakfast.

Watch the whales. They are AMAZING and it is free! You can see them from the beach and maybe from your lanai. Take binoculars if you have them.

Use the resort shuttle to go to the Whaler's Village and Lahaina. It is free and more convenient than trying to find parking in Lahaina. We don't even rent a car. We use Maui Executive Shuttle to go from the airport to the resort and back. It is about $50 each way from the Kahului airport for 2 passengers.

Have fun!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Deb - Will this trip be for you and your preschool-aged daughter? That makes a differences as to the recommendations.

I only have one recommendation - go online and print out and complete the Safeway club card application before you go - it will save you 25% on groceries. Just turn it in at the register when you buy groceries.

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise! That is a great tip. Yes my now 5 yo daughter is coming with me. We plan to log a lot of pool time, snorkel, and hopefully see some whales. It is raining here in PDX!

Happy New Year!

Deb

jnsywg

Reaction score
The pirate ship in the kids pool is great!

Thanks Denise! That is a great tip. Yes my now 5 yo daughter is coming with me. We plan to log a lot of pool time, snorkel, and hopefully see some whales. It is raining here in PDX!

Happy New Year!

Deb

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb,

With a 5 YO I would change my suggestions to say the resort activities are great, the pirate ship at the pool is fun and maybe the aquarium for a rainy day. Round Table Pizza in the strip mall in front of the Maui Eldorado is good. There is a free hula show in the park where the Hilo Hattie's parking lot is. The Westin shuttle has a stop there.

The whales are great for all ages!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb, we might run into you at one of the pools! We'll be there the next couple of weeks with our kids and 4 year old grandson. You'll love the resort - it's the perfect place for family to spend time together!

Coocoojay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here too

This week we are here with grandchildren. Next couple of weeks will be here with exchange students. Advice for first timers. Relax and enjoy the resort...don't try to do too much. Kids will enjoy the simple things, they don't need fancy trips. Also the pools are warm in the morning....

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like several of us will be there next week. Maybe we should try and get together for a quick hello!

paluamalia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
Have a wonderful time, we own there and will be returning on Feb. 27. If you enjoy walking there is a farmers market about a mile north of the resort.
We also like the fitness activities at the resort, 4 days a week..may not work for you with a small child.
Are you in a studio? If so the kitchen is small and there is no oven, but we don't cook much.
About a mile south is Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They have entertainment every night from 6 -9....they invite the children up on the stage...worth a walk some night, The shuttle from KORV takes you to the Sheraton which is right next door, then a quick walk over to the KBH...they also have a wonderful little TIKI Grill with great burgers. Before we bought we always went there, very family friendly and "Maui's most Hawaiian Hotel"...we revisit every year. Try not to get a room that is handicap accessable unless you need it, you will miss the great spa bathroom experience. You will have better views above the 3rd floor. Building 5 is closest to the children's area and is also ocean view, so you might try for a room there.
Aloha and have a wonderful time

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone!

Deb

Deb, have a great time!

Did you trade via SVN or II? If via SVN, can you report your trade here? It's helpful to know that SVN exchanges are possible.

Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
dr. debs owns a SDO resale, so I am 99% sure this is a II exchange.

Last edited:

badpelican

TUG Member
Reaction score
When in Maui,

On our last visit to Maui my wife and I enjoyed the cheap eats (in Hawaiian dollars anyway) at Aloha Mixed Plate. The happy hour Mai Tais are a real bargain.

Here is a linke to the web site. It is adjacent to the Old Lahaina Luau location.

Here is the web site:

http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

Have Fun!

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
dr. debs owns a SDO resale, so I am 99% sure this is a II exchange.

Yep it is a SDO resale, exchanged via "the old way" with II. I just got off the phone with Starwood owner services trying to deposit my L/O booked for spring break this year into II. An interesting conversation...I am trying the "new way". we will see if I am as successfull as I was via the "old way".

Deb

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like several of us will be there next week. Maybe we should try and get together for a quick hello!

We arrive tomorrow, the 8th, at 2:15 for a 4pm check in. Have plans to visit a friends Lanai for sunset. Hopefully freezing rain will not materialize in PDX to delay us. If you want to arrange a get together, leave a note for Dr. Debs at registration and I will contact you. It would be great to meet some Tuggers!