• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's it worth????

Farmer47

Reaction score
We have an even year ocean front 2 br. at WKORV-N and are interested in selling. The prob. is in trying to find out what its worth. The prices seem to be all over the place.

Just curios what the general consensus is out there as far as an accurate value

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Less than $25K :(

The market is very depressed right now, + Starwood is killing us with maintenance fee increases and Maui is killing us with taxes, which has further damaged a depressed market! :mad:

Do you have a mortgage on it?

Have you considered renting it to cover your MF + put a little money in your pocket? (Or toward your mortgage.)

Farmer47

Reaction score
We bought it in 06 and paid cash.(that seems to have been a mistake) and havent done a thing with it. No rent, no trade, and no use ourselves.

Wow !!! less than 25k.....I tried to tell her it was a bad idea :D

We are in the process of trying to figure out how to use it, but it seems a little confusing. By the looks of things we’ve already lost out on some possible revenue.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It doesn't have to be confusing. Sit down with your wife and the calendar, pick a date, and make a reservation.

To ensure the best OF view possible - make that Resv. at 12 mos. out at 8:59 a.m. ET. To make sure you are entitled to your OF view, make it no later than 8 mos. out.

[You have] missed the reservation date [to guarantee Ocean Front] for 2010, but you can still make a Resv. for some time before Jan. 1, the view just isn't guaranteed.

[Deleted 2011 suggestions - just noticed he owns an EOY.]

If you can't go to Hawaii this year, make a Staroption exchange for a resort closer to home.

Even if you have to change it later, it is far better to have a Resv. that you can start planning for, than no Resv. at all.

You just need to do it!

Last edited:

Farmer47

Reaction score
How do we know if we have missed the 2010 time frame?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have missed it - there are only 3.5 mos. left in 2010. To guarantee ocean front, you must be 8-12 mos. out from the check-in date when you make the reservation.

What I should have said is that even though you can't guarantee an ocean front reservation for 2010, you can still make a Resv. at your home resort or another Starwood resort for 2010, so you don't lose the week.

[Deleted 2011 suggestions - just noticed he owns an EOY.]

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My apologies - I just saw that you own an every other year.

You can't reserve 2012, until 2011.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
you should read the stickies at the top of the starwood forum. they are extremely helpful and easy to understand regarding use of your ownership.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To be quite honest with you, it is really too late in the year to try to rent out a week, because the best rental weeks are behind us, and fall is the lowest season in Hawaii. (You can't reserve Christmas - NY week, unless you paid a premium to buy a fixed Christmas - NY week.)

At this point, can you make a trip to Maui before Christmas? This is a good time because airfare is usually at its lowest in the fall.

If not - can you make a trip to a Starwood TS nearer home? Fall is a slow travel time, so it's a good time to look for a Ressie.

We can make some suggestions if you tell us what direction you are leaning.

Last edited:

Farmer47

Reaction score
There is a chance we could make a trip to hawaii this year.
At this point i would just like to get some kind of use out of this thing, even if its just a trade to another prop.
I thought we could use one half one yr. and the other half the next year, or both sides on even years?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - you can only use it during your use year - Starwood doesn't let you roll a week over to the next year.

To use it next year, you would have to deposit it with Interval International and then make an exchange. But that's kind of like depositing a Mercedes in a pool of Chevy's, because you have no guarantees of getting something equal back, and you won't get an ocean front unit if you do a II trade.

How about going for 2 consecutive weeks this year?

Farmer47

Reaction score
Cant do 2 weeks.
thats 2 weeks one room at a time, or the whole unit for 1 week?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
To use it next year, you would have to deposit it with Interval International and then make an exchange. But that's kind of like depositing a Mercedes in a pool of Chevy's, because you have no guarantees of getting something equal back, and you won't get an ocean front unit if you do a II trade.

Unless, they put in a request to trade back into WKORV. Denise is right that you would lose your view preference, but at least you would be back at the same resort. And, if you could do an online exchange you might be able to trade up in unit size.

How about going for 2 consecutive weeks this year?

Also a good option.

Glorian

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Cant do 2 weeks.

I believe Denise was suggesting 1 one week in the studio side, followed by 1 week in the one bedroom (or vice versa).

Another option would be a longer than one week stay in the entire 1 bedroom. Not sure how far you could go with 148,100 SOs. I think up to 12 or 13 days?

Glorian

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cant do 2 weeks.

You can reserve both adjoining units for one week or
1 week in one side, and the next week in the other side.

If you can't do 2 consecutive weeks, how about taking friends, or the babysitter, or the grandparents to use the studio side.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First, I'd find out when the cheapest airfare is available - probably in Oct. sometime, and then I'd call Starwood and check availability - if they mesh, make the ressie and then immediately make the airline ressie. Do it in this order because the WKORVN ressie can be changed, if needed. Note that you have to check in on a Fri., Sat. or Sun. for a 7 day reservation.

What airport do you use?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From the West Coast, we like Hawaiian Airlines.

If all else fails, don't just lose this week - deposit it with Interval International. You have until the very end of the year to do so, although I wouldn't wait until the very last day.

Then you can put in an exchange request for next year - at least you won't lose it. You already have an Interval Acct. - they sent you a card with your membership number, and the membership is included in your maintenance fees.

If you decide to deposit it and exchange - come back and talk to us - we can help.

*If you make a Ressie, and then can't go, be sure you cancel it before the check-in date, so you can deposit it instead.

Last edited:

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I'd find out when the cheapest airfare is available - probably in Oct. sometime, and then I'd call Starwood and check availability - if they mesh, make the ressie and then immediately make the airline ressie. Do it in this order because the WKORVN ressie can be changed, if needed. Note that you have to check in on a Fri., Sat. or Sun. for a 7 day reservation.

What airport do you use?

Not sure about the other airlines, but AA will allow you to hold the reservatoin for 24 hours before ticketing. Just go to AA.com. If you find a cheap fare book it and click hold instead of purchase. This might prevent the cheap fare you found from being gone after talking to starwood. I will usually hold several reservations for weeks that I can travel and then call Starwood and see if anything fits... Just my .02 worth

Steve

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nonstops from LA are Delta, United and AA. Hawaiian requires a stop in Honolulu and so takes longer. I prefer the United flights now since they use 767's to Maui and you can get their Economy Plus for about $50 each way (5 extra inch of space, which I think is great for a long fight like this).

Just be sure you don't waste the week this year. Depositing into II isn't ideal, but at least gives you the option to travel next year (though you should immediately put an ongoing trade for Hawaii now so you have a better chance of getting it filled except you could wait for an instant exchange if you check frequently so you can trade up from a studio to 1-bed).

Good luck!

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't have anyone going with you to stay in the Studio and you can't stay for longer than 1 week, I would reserve the 1 week in the 1BR side and deposit the Studio in Interval International. That way you could use your Interval International exchange later for another vacation somewhere else.