• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

StarOptions for SVN Exchanging

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
:wave: Can anyone help me on the use of StarOptions from a resale purchase and exchanging within the SVN system?

Scenerio:
We have 67.1K SOs from the studio-side of our WKORV LO that we bought resale. We are interested in attempting to use theses SOs to do a SVN exchange (at the 8-month mark) in order to get an adjacent week to our WSJ week in 2007. We do not need a 2Bd villa (67.1K SOs) for the extra week, and would be happy to exchange into a 1Bd villa (44K SOs). Plus, there are a lot more WSJ 1Bd villas than there are 2Bd villas - so this may be an easier exchange. If we are able to do this exchange, we would have 23.1K SOs left over.

Questions: {sorry if they seem stupid, just want to confirm...}
1) At what point could we try and get reservation using these left-over SOs for a few nites at a SVN mandatory resort - at the 4 month point?
2) Will we need to cancel our WKORV studio reservation for 2007 in order get this exchange or get on a waiting list at WSJ?
3) How long are you expected to be on a waiting list before finding out about the exchange?
4) Anything else we should be aware of - or we are missing?

TIA

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
blujahz said:
1) At what point could we try and get reservation using these left-over SOs for a few nites at a SVN mandatory resort - at the 4 month point?

3 months out

blujahz said:
2) Will we need to cancel our WKORV studio reservation for 2007 in order get this exchange or get on a waiting list at WSJ?

Only Elite owners can have a confirmed Resv. and use the same Staroptions to be on a waiting list at the same time. I am assuming your resales don't qualify you for Elite status? However, you can have a confirmed Resv. at the WKORV and call every day for a WSJ Resv. - you just don't cancel the WKORV Resv. until you get the WSJ Resv.

blujahz said:
3) How long are you expected to be on a waiting list before finding out about the exchange?

This summer when I was trying to get on a waiting list for WSJ at 8 mos. out, it was already completely filled with owners who waitlisted at 12 mos. out. Since you are an owner at WSJ, maybe that will give you some priority?

blujahz said:
4) Anything else we should be aware of - or we are missing?

Call at exactly 8 am ET and keep calling...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Denise - Thanks once again - I will update - wish me luck...

I will likely try and get the 1Bd villa, at WSJ and use the extra SOs to stay a few nights at WKV before my folks leave the Phoenix area.

Follow-up note: I called SVN and inquired on how to proceed with this exchange. They told me that both weeks at WSJ are completely booked :( and that while I can still call at the 8-month point there will only be a waitlist (if available). I will have to cancel our studio at WKORV, but since we are still beyond 10 months point for our WKORV week - I am still guaranteed our unit type (OF Deluxe) if available. They also told me that 19 of these units are still available (labor day week) at WKORV which surprises me since there are only 24 units total.

Hopefully, I will someday get a handle on how this all works. :)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
blujahz said:
They also told me that 19 of these units are still available (labor day week) at WKORV which surprises me since there are only 24 units total.

I think the majority of Maui owners are from CA and almost all schools are back in session by labor day weekend in CA - our Dist. goes back the Mon. before Labor Day and many go back earlier, so I think you have a decent chance if WSJ doesn't work out.