• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stain on < 3 months old, granite countertop

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our daughter has a light-colored granite counter top and set her food processor lid on the counter after blending zucchini with other ingredients for zucchini muffins. She picked up the lid 20 minutes later, and there is a stain ring from the lid. It's dark in color.

How do you get a stain out of granite countertops? Why did this happen?

Glad I got quartz countertops now.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Was the counter top sealed? Granite is porous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get a stain out of granite countertops? Why did this happen?

It might buff or grind out if the stain isn't too deep. I'd be asking the stone merchants. Possibly, a bleach solution might lighten the stained area, but I'd ask someone in authority and with experience first.

It happened because of a chemical reaction between the granite (which is (a) not inert and (b) is porous) and whatever got on the surface. One MAJOR drawback to granite counter tops is the FIRM requirement that they be regularly sealed. Some say once a year, some more often- especially if they are going to come into contact with certain acidic or very alkaline foods.

Here's an eHow on removing stains: http://www.ehow.com/how_7874359_remove-spots-granite-countertop.html

This is the reason I have solid surface counters.

Good Luck!

Jim

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google "poultice granite".

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mean Green. You can buy it for around $2 at Dollar General or Walmart. If it will take curry out of the counter it should be able to handle this.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The builder is saying the granite was sealed, but I am knocking on that.

So how often do these counters have to be sealed? Sounds like a pain. Our quartz counters are beautiful.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only sealed mine twice in about 10 years and have never have had any problems. I applied the sealer myself and it took less than 2 hours. I love my granite, so its not a big deal to me.....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Soak a clean white wash cloth with water. Lay it flat on the granite counter and leave it one hour. In an hour come back and remove the wash cloth. If a wet stain remains where the wash cloth was, the counters aren't sealed, or need to be re-sealed.

It is super easy to seal granite - spray with the sealer and spread with a clean sponge - really a no brainer.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Our granite shop gave us this:
"An easy 'rule of thumb' is to closely monitor the area around the sink. If you notice water that does not bead up or soaks into the stone within 10-15 minutes, then it's probably time to re-seal. Applying a sealer is easy. You can apply a liberal amount in the evening before going to bed and let it penetrate and cure overnight."

My sink area needs sealing once a year; other areas only every few years.

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've only sealed our granite 2x in 15 years without any problems. Daily use in our kitchen.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The builder is saying the granite was sealed, but I am knocking on that.

So how often do these counters have to be sealed? Sounds like a pain. Our quartz counters are beautiful.

If the granite stained, it wasn't properly sealed. Period.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
poultice

That shouldn't happen at 3 months! But stone restorer told me to add 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and mix with diatomaceous earth until it just holds together as a poultice. Place over stain and leave for awhile. He used this for rings left by a very hot pot my mother set on granite as well as for grout around under mount sink. The problem is getting the diatomaceous earth. It comes in 20 pound bags at pool supply stores!