• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What To Buy??

GigiPup

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you all think?

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
Anywhere warm/tropical. Carribean/florida and has good trade value

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Disney
Carribean
Hawaii
Around the US

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
2 adults now. 1 child occasionally. But will be hopefully expanding family in upcoming years (so 1-3 kids)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Anytime

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Most of the time

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
5!

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Few thousand. 5-6,000 max.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
1500 max

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Yes
12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
______________Yes____

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Disney
Carribean
Hawaii

These are the 3 hardest trades to get. Trading into these places every year, especially once you have kids in school, is going to be really difficult. If that's your goal, you should probably pick one and buy there, or rent.

Another option is buying two every-other-year deeds - like maybe one in Hawaii and one in the Caribbean.

For Disney, consider some of the non-Disney resorts. They are much easier to get, and often nicer resorts. I like Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Last edited:

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
second that.. you can pick up wyndham points for cheap and many for free in the bargain bin on tug.. The Bonnet creek is a real nice place with out the disney over the top pricing.

For Disney, consider some of the non-Disney Vacation Club resort. They are much easier to get, and often nicer resorts. I like Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

GigiPup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Some followup questions:

Should I buy from hotel chain like wyndham or marriot? Or independant timeshare....what would give best trading with 5 star value?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Some followup questions:

Should I buy from hotel chain like wyndham or marriot? Or independant timeshare....what would give best trading with 5 star value?

I think Marriott, but Marriott holds a lot of value on the resale market, so you won't get any freebies.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood has Orlando (not Disney), St John an easier trade with the expansuon and HI.

Though ggetting a 2bed that allows such trades mist easily will be nearer $20k.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would not buy Marriott since when buying resale, you will have to use II to get other desired resorts.

I think Marriott, but Marriott holds a lot of value on the resale market, so you won't get any freebies.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Marriotts make great traders--

With a 2br l/o and some time and patience, you can trade into some pretty good places. Marriott has Caribbean, Florida, Hawaii and a bunch more. With Marriott trade preference in II, you can get a little bit ahead of the pack.

They are not free, they are not cheap, but I think you could find a decent trader l/o for the numbers you posted. And, most (I said most--don't attack it) of the Marriotts are pretty nice places to be. Also, with e-plus trading in II, you can pick up a reservation and 'trade-up' as you get closer to check-in. It's a pretty suite deal. (a little humor there). ;)

I'll also throw in the caveat before somebody else does: consider renting in a few places you might like to buy (like Orlando) and take a quick peek/tour at the resorts. You might find something you really do/don't like. Make sure you do some research--no need to rush--you can easily buy something, but may not be able to sell it! This is especially true with buying the wrong season (silver/gold/bronze/blue/white/red etc...) or too few points for a reservation in your vacation window.

Just noticed another comment, re resale Marriotts and trading. Yes, if you buy a legacy Marriott (vs points-much more money) you will pay an exchange fee if you use II for trading. There are also other, cheaper exchanges that people use to avoid trading fees. Legacy (weeks) Marriott TS's are still a mere fraction of the cost of a Marriott points purchase--resale or not. (not including enrolled weeks).
I know this may be confusing, so just keep it simple. Study the stickies....

Lots of ideas and info under the Marriott tab/Hilton tab etc..
cheers
glad you found TUG. Consider becoming a member!

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, when buying a resale Marriott, you will have to use II if you want to visit other Marriott resorts; you will have Marriott preference, but still must use II. A Starwood mandatory resale purchase will allow you to use both the Starwood internal system as well as II for exchanges. The drawback: you are likely going to have to pay more upfront for a Starwood mandatory purchase.. We have stayed in quite a number of Marriotts using our Hyatt. We stay at Westins, Hyatts, and Marriotts primarily and like all brands, but they do tend to have a different "vibe". Generally Westin has a more modern "vibe" compare to Marriott and Hyatt. I am continually amazed that many Marriotts, although probably not at the locations you mentioned (except Orlando), can be gotten at Marriott's online website for very reasonable nightly rates.

Marriotts make great traders--

With a 2br l/o and some time and patience, you can trade into some pretty good places. Marriott has Caribbean, Florida, Hawaii and a bunch more. With Marriott trade preference in II, you can get a little bit ahead of the pack.

They are not free, they are not cheap, but I think you could find a decent trader l/o for the numbers you posted. And, most (I said most--don't attack it) of the Marriotts are pretty nice places to be. Also, with e-plus trading in II, you can pick up a reservation and 'trade-up' as you get closer to check-in. It's a pretty suite deal. (a little humor there). ;)

I'll also throw in the caveat before somebody else does: consider renting in a few places you might like to buy (like Orlando) and take a quick peek/tour at the resorts. You might find something you really do/don't like. Make sure you do some research--no need to rush--you can easily buy something, but may not be able to sell it! This is especially true with buying the wrong season (silver/gold/bronze/blue/white/red etc...) or too few points for a reservation in your vacation window.

Just noticed another comment, re resale Marriotts and trading. Yes, if you buy a legacy Marriott (vs points-much more money) you will pay an exchange fee if you use II for trading. There are also other, cheaper exchanges that people use to avoid trading fees. Legacy (weeks) Marriott TS's are still a mere fraction of the cost of a Marriott points purchase--resale or not. (not including enrolled weeks).
I know this may be confusing, so just keep it simple. Study the stickies....

Lots of ideas and info under the Marriott tab/Hilton tab etc..
cheers
glad you found TUG. Consider becoming a member!

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriotts are II and DVC is RCI ....

Wyndham is NOT 5 star but neither are the prices or the MFs. Many more locations for Wyndham resorts also. Buying costs and MFs are much less.

Crap, I would love to ride down the road in a Porsche - I can afford a Ford - both a sedan and a 4x4 truck.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at GigiPup' s listed preferences and budget, I don't see them as realistic. Even resale, and with the downward price spiral of resale TSs, buying 5 star, which I take as hotel branded- for $4-5K, with $1500 MF and exchangability to all the places she says she desires, is unlikely.

Imo, she needs to familiarize herself with the market. Hang around TUG. Rent a few times. Then see how her desires square with her budget.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

Added. Alternately, Wyndham, while probably not 5 star prestige resorts are very nice, have lots of good locations, can get close to Disney, don't require separate exchange membership, and can be bought resale for well within her budget. Worth a look.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Her budget for MFs is within range for a mandatory Starwood- I doubt you can get a 2 BR at a mandatory for 5-6K. Perhaps a 1 BR, I don't know..

Looking at GigiPup' s listed preferences and budget, I don't see them as realistic. Even resale, and with the downward price spiral of resale TSs, buying 5 star, which I take as hotel branded- for $4-5K, with $1500 MF and exchangability to all the places she says she desires, is unlikely.

Imo, she needs to familiarize herself with the market. Hang around TUG. Rent a few times. Then see how her desires square with her budget.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

Added. Alternately, Wyndham, while probably not 5 star prestige resorts are very nice, have lots of good locations, can get close to Disney, don't require separate exchange membership, and can be bought resale for well within her budget. Worth a look.

Cpanzi

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replys! Good food for thought :}

I'm definitely going to wait a bit, perhaps rent over the next few years and try and figure out what I desire most.

Many commented on my limited budget. Looking perhaps a few years down the road, if I could afford to spend more, given my preferenes what would you all recommend?

THanks!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am a broken record on this, but routinely trading into 4-5 star resorts is highly attainable if one has flexibility. I own Shell points, some cheap Branson traders, and a cheap Hawaii trader. I have stayed in Four Seasons Aviara, Disney Aulani, Marriott Newport Coast, Marriott Ko Olina on Oahu, Marriott Grand Chateau in Vegas, two Marriotts in Palm Springs, and Hilton Kings Land next summer...all in 2BR units for my family of 5. I have frequently seen availability in the Caribbean in high end resorts as well. Not including my acquisition costs (which on average were deeply negative), my weekly all-in costs including MFs and exchange company fees were typically in the $500-$700 range, with a notable exception being Aulani which was around $1,100 or so. The Shell points I typically have only used my Shell points for II flexchange (<60 days) exchanges, and my other traders for most of the other exchanges. Of course it takes flexibility, patience, and knowledge learned over time, but it can be done with a lot of TUG research and practice.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when the kids start coming, it gets expensive to travel. Think airfare X 5 instead of X 2 or 3. Hawaii airfare is expensive from the East Coast and travel there with kids, while they are young, will be very stressful and difficult. Wherever you decide to purchase, think about how often you may be able to get there because of time, expense and difficulty.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a broken record on this, but routinely trading into 4-5 star resorts is highly attainable if one has flexibility......Of course it takes flexibility, patience, and knowledge learned over time, but it can be done with a lot of TUG research and practice.

Agree. I used to routinely trade into HGVC properties in Las Vegas with Weeks that cost me next to nothing. I just had to be patient, alert, and flexible.

George

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree for the most part. Although, I have noticed recently, that even with flexibility, some II inventory (e.g., Marriotts at Hilton Head) has gotten much tighter.