• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another What to Buy Thread.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
Thanks for this! At this point, I've educated myself, somewhat on HGVC, and it seems like it's a good fit, but I honestly don't know about other timeshare/vacation ownership programs and how they work.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

Generally, we spend one long weekend in Las Vegas each year (3-4 nights), and then take another 1 or 2 week long vacations in other places. So, I'm assuming Las Vegas, though we're not usually there for a full week.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

We like to travel to many different places. We're not the type to go to the same place each year.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

We've been around the world--we've literally set foot on every continent (including Antarctica) in the past ten years. We like a mix of adventure (hiking, sightseeing, safari), urban exploration, and relaxation (sitting by a pool with a cocktail). We'd be interested to trade into as many diverse locations as we could.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

There are two of us. We're same-sex married couple with no kids. But we like to take vacations with our extended family, so the option of getting a two or three bedroom unit from time to time is appealing.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Can travel at any time.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes, but we'd love to have the flexibility to be able to plan on a shorter time frame.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes, but we'd like to be able to find a program that would give us long weekends in Las Vegas from time to time.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

I'd say 3 and up.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

We're looking for the "sweet spot" between upfront buy-in, and annual membership fees, obviously. I think we'd be most comfortable with a resale buy-in in the neighborhood of $10K, or less.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

If it's a points-based system, and we could stretch the points to more than a week, that might have a bearing on what we'd be prepared to do, but if we could get a week of vacation lodging for MF and Taxes for close to $1000/year, that'd be great. If we could get two weeks usage out of ownership in a point-based system, for under $1500, that'd be even better for us.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes. But with a tendency to indulge impulses.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

We do. Which is why we'd likely be interested in buying into a system that's affiliated with a major hotel or resort chain, or a well-established system.

From what I know of HGVC, it seems like buying resale would give us something that is very flexible, and would allow us to visit Las Vegas for a long weekend annually, and take additional vacations to a wide range of destinations on the side. But, as I said, I don't really know anything about the Wyndham, Starwood, Hyatt, DVC or Marriott programs, so if anyone reads this and thinks that there's an obvious good fit for us that we're missing, I'd be grateful if you could clue us in!

Thanks!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points would be best for you and if you buy HGVC, buy resale Vegas, but not Trump or Elara. The others have much better MFs. You could also buy in Orlando and never visit the home resort. The downside to HGVC is that they charge fees for everything that you do. You pay fees for booking, putting a guest on your reservation, banking points, converting to hotel points...
Aside from the extra fees, I still think Hilton is a good choice for you since you like shorter stays and like Vegas. There is a minimum of 3 nights with booking Hilton, unless you book for cash in less than 30 days, then you only need to book 2 nights. It trades with highest power in RCI and can be used for short exchanges in RCI.

DVC is not for you unless you love Disney and want to go there all the time. You'd have to trade it for a Vegas property and it would be a big down trade in terms of what you pay as a DVC owner vs. what you would have paid if you owned wherever you end up staying. They do allow as small as one night bookings and do not charge reservation fees, but it is a very expensive thing to own and of no value if you aren't using it for their home resorts.

Shell vacation club is points based and they have a Vegas property, but the reviews are really bad. It trades very well in II. You can buy resale on the very cheap (as in $1.), but the MFs are high compared to similar clubs. It would be great if you want to trade for full weeks in II, but since you want shorter stays, you'd book within Shell and you need to look at their website to see locations.

Worldmark is my favorite and most people would tell you it isn't for you based on your location. It has many locations, including several in Vegas. There are no extra fees for anything and they have excellent customer service. Most resorts are 3 star, but some have presidential suits and penthouses that can rival 5 star. You may want to look into it just for the sake of knowing you explored all your options.

I have not used any of the other points systems.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this! At this point, I've educated myself, somewhat on HGVC, and it seems like it's a good fit, but I honestly don't know about other timeshare/vacation ownership programs and how they work.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

Generally, we spend one long weekend in Las Vegas each year (3-4 nights), and then take another 1 or 2 week long vacations in other places. So, I'm assuming Las Vegas, though we're not usually there for a full week.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

We like to travel to many different places. We're not the type to go to the same place each year.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

We've been around the world--we've literally set foot on every continent (including Antarctica) in the past ten years. We like a mix of adventure (hiking, sightseeing, safari), urban exploration, and relaxation (sitting by a pool with a cocktail). We'd be interested to trade into as many diverse locations as we could.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

There are two of us. We're same-sex married couple with no kids. But we like to take vacations with our extended family, so the option of getting a two or three bedroom unit from time to time is appealing.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Can travel at any time.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes, but we'd love to have the flexibility to be able to plan on a shorter time frame.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes, but we'd like to be able to find a program that would give us long weekends in Las Vegas from time to time.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

I'd say 3 and up.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

We're looking for the "sweet spot" between upfront buy-in, and annual membership fees, obviously. I think we'd be most comfortable with a resale buy-in in the neighborhood of $10K, or less.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

If it's a points-based system, and we could stretch the points to more than a week, that might have a bearing on what we'd be prepared to do, but if we could get a week of vacation lodging for MF and Taxes for close to $1000/year, that'd be great. If we could get two weeks usage out of ownership in a point-based system, for under $1500, that'd be even better for us.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes. But with a tendency to indulge impulses.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

We do. Which is why we'd likely be interested in buying into a system that's affiliated with a major hotel or resort chain, or a well-established system.

From what I know of HGVC, it seems like buying resale would give us something that is very flexible, and would allow us to visit Las Vegas for a long weekend annually, and take additional vacations to a wide range of destinations on the side. But, as I said, I don't really know anything about the Wyndham, Starwood, Hyatt, DVC or Marriott programs, so if anyone reads this and thinks that there's an obvious good fit for us that we're missing, I'd be grateful if you could clue us in!

Thanks!

If you spend a long weekend in LV and weeks at other places, I would suggest that a LV home resort is not what you want. LV has a LOT of inventory and isn't that hard to trade into or rent. I'd either look at where I wanted to spend the majority of my WEEK vacations and find resale there, buy resale into a points system that has a resort listing that speaks to me, or buy resale the best trader possible, with the understanding that trading has additional costs.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you spend a long weekend in LV and weeks at other places, I would suggest that a LV home resort is not what you want. LV has a LOT of inventory and isn't that hard to trade into or rent. I'd either look at where I wanted to spend the majority of my WEEK vacations and find resale there, buy resale into a points system that has a resort listing that speaks to me, or buy resale the best trader possible, with the understanding that trading has additional costs.

OP wants variety, so the home resort location is not all that important, especially if settling on HGVC. HGVC would be a very flexible choice for the OP. I personally wouldn't go for it due to all the nickel and dime fees, buy-in costs, and RCI affiliation rather than II, but it works very well for many, including OP possibly.

Another option is resale Marriott, with way more locations and II affiliation (more higher quality properties in the system), but to maximize it and not feel like timesharing is a hustle and a hassle, one would need to learn the exchanging game. One could also buy Marriott Destination Club points that would rival HGVC flexibility (and Marriott Grand Chateau in Vegas is pretty awesome too in my opinion), but DC points are pretty expensive, even resale.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To echo the simplicity of points, WorldMark, HGVC, and Wyndham would be flexible and straightforward. Plus this opens up unique locations that cannot be covered by a single system. WM has the only Pacific Northwest and western National Park presence amongst the majors, and it has strong II trading power (resale accounts can be affiliated II, RCI, or both). I started with Wyndham, added on WM, and I am considering rounding out the high end with HGVC due to my affinity for points system flexibility.

I personally would like to try to get into Marriott, but as Beefnot alludes, I do not currently have the bandwidth to learn the exchange game, and the cost of ownership (purchase and ongoing MF) is usually much higher, which increases the risk quotient in my book.

DVC and Starwood are also well-liked systems, but these offer fewer locations, many of which I already have covered by Wyndham and WM. Yes, there is a luxury level factor, but for me, diversity of destination is more important than simply staying in the most opulent/full-service places.

Dont get me wrong: there are plenty of people who love their Marriott, DVC, and Starwood and those are great systems. Just realize that every commenter has a perspective shaped by how he/she got into time sharing and how each has optimized their approach for specific systems/situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP wants variety, so the home resort location is not all that important, especially if settling on HGVC. HGVC would be a very flexible choice for the OP. I personally wouldn't go for it due to all the nickel and dime fees, buy-in costs, and RCI affiliation rather than II, but it works very well for many, including OP possibly.

Another option is resale Marriott, with way more locations and II affiliation (more higher quality properties in the system), but to maximize it and not feel like timesharing is a hustle and a hassle, one would need to learn the exchanging game. One could also buy Marriott Destination Club points that would rival HGVC flexibility (and Marriott Grand Chateau in Vegas is pretty awesome too in my opinion), but DC points are pretty expensive, even resale.

My comment was specifically in response to their suggestion that they set up a home resort in Las Vegas. I agree that points would be the way to go.....given that they understand the system they are buying into, their resort list, restrictions the given system places on resale points, etc.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Worldmark offers some great short-stay options, ability to trade into Vegas for pennies on the dollar on both RCI and II (Hilton and Marriott). Great access to Pacific resorts too. Maybe this would be a good secondary play-toy to make vacation plans where HGVC won't take you. Easy to buy, easy to sell, cheap to own.

But, WM is not as easy as MVCI or HGVC making reservations etc...

Marriott has more/better locations than HGVC. JMHO. If for whatever reason, you decide you need MVCI points, buy them resale or buy them hybrid (bundle) from Marriott. If you want to know more--it's here on the board. Just remember: the MF's on points are quite high.

Good luck and welcome to TUG>