• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy?

Paulydeets

Reaction score
Im new to this, so please bear with me. We have stayed at my in laws HGVC timeshare multiple times, I believe their home resort is in Vegas, but they always trade it. We have stayed near Disney multiple times (once at the Tuscan resort and this past week at the SeaWorld resort), and in St Martin for our honeymoon. and we love to travel so we think this may be a good choice for us.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
Would probably trade it most of the time, so highest trade value/ease of trade, or close to the northeast, maybe Virginia beach, outer banks, maine?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Carribean, Europe, Pacific Islands, US Ski Resort areas, West Coast US

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
Four - six but mainly four (Wife, kids ages 4 and 5, possibly grandparents, and I)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
School schedule

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
We try to plan early because of the school schedule issue so we would like to

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
5 (don't we all prefer 5?)

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
10k but would like to spend less, Ive seen lots of deals, but some seem to good to be true (1 week in vail busy season for 4k)

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
If the value is there then id go up to 1500 but would like to spend less

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
We try to be but it doesn't always happen like that

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
I do understand this, but I am really only looking at the resale market (or at least that's my plan from the research I have done) so I would think that I could get rid of it for close to what I paid because the person id be buying from would be the one taking the hit. Please correct me if im wrong here.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

-Paul

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The problem I see is the NE doesn't have a lot of 5 star resorts in systems that would make getting your other locations during school breaks doable.

No 5 star in Maine or Virginia Beach, no 5 star or even 4 star in OBX. Maine and Virginia Beach have 4 star but I don't think they would get you the other places you want to go. Europe with timeshares is very difficult and limited.

If you go down to Myrtle Beach, Hilton and Marriott may work for you. You would need platinum. You might want to start your research there. With Marriott you still would be relying on II for exchanges and you still may have difficulty getting to your desired locations during school breaks.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your expectations are unreasonable.

But if you find 2+ bedroom (for 4+ people), 5 star accommodations during the school vacations, that you can buy into for $5-10K with $1500 annual cost including membership in the exchange company, and exchange fees, better keep it to yourself. There are hundreds of TUGgers who'd like the same thing.

Remember, being tied to the school schedule that those trips to your top 5 destinations are going to get a lot more expensive when those 4-5 year-olds are needing their own airline seats.

(imo) you should concentrate on a 'base' TS in a fixed week/location somewhere on the E. coast that you can drive to. These aren't cheap, but they are always in demand, and will exchange well when you want/are able to travel further afield. As a benefit, these will hold their value well and you won't be among the people who have to pay to get rid of it.

See your own answer to question #1.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

Paulydeets

Reaction score
So I guess scratch the NE then, I only added that on there because it would be more likely for me to use my home resort if it were driving distance. As long as its ok to trade every year then I really don't care where my home resort is.

I have a friend with a HGVC timeshare and he almost always trades it in for points, and sometimes just Hilton Honors points and he uses them to stay over in NYC for special occasions. I know its not necessarily the best value for your points, but I do like to go to the city and stay over, so i like that I could get some value out of my timeshare points even if we didn't trade to a resort.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will want to look at the points based systems because they may have several of the locations you want to visit. That will save you the hassle of exchanging. However, I cannot think of any that would have 5 star resorts for that many people during high season for $1500./year.

Remember, there are a lot of timeshare owners who are happy to rent out what they own. You may be better going that route. Prices will be at a premium for what you want, though.

The deals you see that are too good to be true are true, but they don't offer what you are looking for. If you can go down to 3 star, you can probably easily find what you want in the points/clubs arena.

Paulydeets

Reaction score
Your expectations are unreasonable.

But if you find 2+ bedroom (for 4+ people), 5 star accommodations during the school vacations, that you can buy into for $5-10K with $1500 annual cost including membership in the exchange company, and exchange fees, better keep it to yourself. There are hundreds of TUGgers who'd like the same thing.

Remember, being tied to the school schedule that those trips to your top 5 destinations are going to get a lot more expensive when those 4-5 year-olds are needing their own airline seats.

(imo) you should concentrate on a 'base' TS in a fixed week/location somewhere on the E. coast that you can drive to. These aren't cheap, but they are always in demand, and will exchange well when you want/are able to travel further afield. As a benefit, these will hold their value well and you won't be among the people who have to pay to get rid of it.

See your own answer to question #1.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

Im really not looking at prices of airline seats, etc, because I would be traveling anyway and would need them regardless.

But now I'm confused because these first two comments are conflicting.

1st comment said they wouldn't exchange well but you say they are in high demand and will exchange well. I don't need 5 star per se, but definitely need something that would exchange well.

Thank you for your help

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Relying on trades when you are stuck with needing time during a school break
Is going to be a big problem. If you get a fixed week during the summer where
You want to go that will guarantee you that time but you want to trade most of
The time so the time you need just isn't going to be available. You will get
Frustrated fast.

Look into some points. You'll have to step down from your five star wish but
You should be able to get some vacation during the time you want.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im really not looking at prices of airline seats, etc, because I would be traveling anyway and would need them regardless.

But now I'm confused because these first two comments are conflicting.

1st comment said they wouldn't exchange well but you say they are in high demand and will exchange well. I don't need 5 star per se, but definitely need something that would exchange well.

Thank you for your help
"Trading" usually implies going to an external exchange company such as RCI, II, or SFX. These will have difficulty finding exchanges during the school breaks at really desirable/high end resorts. It is not impossible, but you will need to be on your toes and really understand the exchange company's rules/limitations.

There are systems that have a points structure that allow owners to book anywhere within a given system. The Newbie Questions have not been updated to reflect this reality, but can sometimes be interpreted as "trading" when it is not really so. You are just using a different "currency" to book wherever/whatever you want and are much more "no-brainer" than external exchange trades.

Examples of (primarily) points systems are WorldMark, Wyndham, HGVC, Diamond, etc. Each of these has different booking windows and their own nuances as to getting school break bookings. I own in both WM and Wyndham and have not had any problems getting what I want (within reason), but that is because I book as early as possible.

Okay, a little dose of reality on the luxury/cost aspect. Most 5-star resorts/systems will cost the equivalent of $1600-2500 for one week in prime/red season 2BR, and will cost quite a bit more than $10k to obtain.

I can get almost 2 weeks of red/prime in most WorldMark locations for $1500, usually with 3.5+ star accommodations. Wyndham could get 10-14 days (depending on the resort), most of which are 4-star, but there is a lot of variability with Wyndham. I've not been to any HGVC, Starwood, or Marriotts, but from what I understand those will be in the 4.5-5 star category (along with the higher MF). BTW, even Worldmark and Wyndham have special units that can bump the luxury level to 4.5+ star levels; they just cost more points to book.

I love my WorldMark, but since you are on the East Coast, that may not work well for you since it is heavy on the West Coast and Pacific Northwest (the only one with much presence there BTW). Wyndham is East Coast centric and could be a good cost-conscious alternative, depending on what resort/program you buy into. Resale prices on Wyndham have been going up significantly, though. It's not quite to HGVC levels, but if they go up much more, I may be tempted to look for HGVCs rather than adding to my Wyndham portfolio, but I have more Wyndham than I need right now. You are starting out from scratch, so your criteria may vary from mine.

Since WM is likely not a contender for you, I'll echo other people's advice to rent for now. Rotate through stays at a Wyndham, HGVC, Marriott, etc. See if you like the properties (ignore the sales presentation styles). Are they located where you'd want to go? Just remember that luxury costs more, and the best deal is usually via resale.

e.bram

Reaction score
Fixed school season week with driving distance. Only way to go. With II you can request first, and if you can't get something suitable, you can always dive to your TS w/o high travel costs, which today exceed accommodation costs.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade

Carribean, Europe, Pacific Islands, US Ski Resort areas, West Coast US

Four - six but mainly four (Wife, kids ages 4 and 5, possibly grandparents, and I)

School schedule

Yes

10k but would like to spend less, Ive seen lots of deals, but some seem to good to be true (1 week in vail busy season for 4k)

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

While it is true that WorldMark has locations that are primarily west of the Missippi river, WorldMark has such high trading power, it may be just the thing for you. The reasons for this are 1) you are willing to trade most, if not all of the time and 2) your schedule and air travel, if needed, is flexible within the school calendar.

A resale 10,000 credit WorldMark membership, including closing costs, should be easily purchased for under $4000. 10,000 credits will get you a 2 bedroom exchange in Interval International (RCI too, but I think II offers more in the way of 5 star resorts). The maintenance fees are currently $716.59/year.

You wrote that you can (kind of) plan more than 1 year in advance. This is critical to your success as a trader-- in any system.

Extra bonus -- in WorldMark you can purchase 10,000 credits good for a 2 bedroom exchange, but use the trading power of a 3 bedroom to find your 5 star exchange, then only pay the 10,000 credits if you match a 2 bedroom. Is there any other timeshare where you can purchase a 2 bedroom week/points and search using the trading power of a 3 bedroom?

There is always a catch, and in this case the catch is that you have to spend the time to become an expert in II trades and plan more than 12 months, and ideally 24 months in advance.

Your expectations may seem unreasonable to the average timeshare owner, but with WorldMark and joining Interval International (or, to a lesser extent, RCI) you can reach these expectations:

Put in an Ongoing Search more than 12 months and up to 24 months in advance for as many 5 star resorts as you want. Choosing anytime during ski season or summer months would help immensely. Something will hit, if only because many resorts do a "bulk deposit" (you will want to learn about that).

Although you may own only 10,000 credits, you can search using the power of a 3 bedroom and possibly match a 3 bedroom. That is what I did, and matched a 3 bedroom for a summer week at the Grand Timber Lodge in Breckenridge, CO (definitely 5 star). I have also matched at Grand Timber during New Years! (but that takes special techniques -- PM me if you get to that point).

School schedule

No problem. If you can accept any week during summer at a number of 5 star resorts, there is a very good chance of matching something in your Ongoing Search.

Yes

OK, it seems that an ongoing search with II will work for you.

This depends on where you want to go, because exchanges depend on deposits from other owners. 5 star in Orlando in the summer -- no problem -- plenty of exchangers; 2 bedroom in Telluride, CO during ski season is highly unlikely due to limited exchange opportunities. (If you are on the top of your game, you could reserve something at WorldMark Steamboat Springs for holiday skiing using your WM credits, instead).

Why spend $4,000-10,000 when you can get something better for under $4,000?

If the value is there then id go up to 1500 but would like to spend less.

Check. $716.59 is significantly less than $1500.

This is the only problem I see. For WorldMark to work for a 5-star exchanger, you have to learn how WorldMark works with Interval International (not difficult to learn -- just takes some time), and you have to plan more than 12 months in advance. It is worth it though, because you can see by now how no other timeshare can compare.

xx) What if I don't have the time to use the timeshare this year?

Too bad if you are a fixed week or floating week owner. Maybe you can rent it out instead. With WorldMark the credits will automatically roll over to the next year, and you can stay in a larger unit or reserve two weeks during the year.

I am sure that, although it is true WorldMark locations are primarily west coast, there are many Easterners who have figured all this out and own WorldMark, and they may never stay in a WorldMark resort.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it is true that WorldMark has locations that are primarily west of the Missippi river, WorldMark has such high trading power, it may be just the thing for you....
Thanks, CO skier, for laying out the exchange nuances for OP. I don't use WM to exchange, so I didn't want to complicate matters. However, I may be moving back East in a few months and this gives me hope that I can still make good use out of my WM ownership.

For OP, if you buy resale WorldMark, you can pay for your own RCI or Interval International (II) account (usually about $100 annually, but you can often get discounts) and link it to your WM account.

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
For OP, if you buy resale WorldMark, you can pay for your own RCI or Interval International (II) account (usually about $100 annually, but you can often get discounts) and link it to your WM account.

It works the other way around. WorldMark owners must set up an Interval International account through WorldMark, not through a regular II account.

Other timeshare weeks at resorts that are affiliated with Interval International can then be added to the WorldMark II account.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
have stayed near Disney multiple times (once at the Tuscan resort and this past week at the SeaWorld resort) (Probably both Hilton/HGVC), and in St Martin (This would have been an RCI trade, not usually a good idea) for our honeymoon. and we love to travel so we think this may be a good choice for us.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
Would probably trade it most of the time, so highest trade value/ease of trade, or close to the northeast, maybe Virginia beach, outer banks, maine?

Marriott for Boston, NJ, South Carolina (9), Virginia, & DC

Trade

Caribbean, Europe, Pacific Islands, US Ski Resort areas, West Coast US

Marriott for Paris, Spain, Ski areas in CO, Utah, and CA, along with their West Coast resorts in NV and CA. Marriott has TS's on Oahu, Maui, & Kauai. Marriott has 3 TS's in Thailand: Pkuket & Bangkok. Marriott has Caribbean TS's in St Thomas, Aruba, & St Kitts. Although not the Caribbean, they are in FL, including Marco Island which is nice.

Get a 2-BDRM lock-off. You can exchange the 2-BDRM L/O for a 2-BDRM, or do an initial exchange using the 1-BDRM or studio and get an upgrade in II.

School schedule

Ouch, this will make exchanging a lot harder

Marriott exchanges/deposits would be 12 months out.

Yes

Marriott, Westin, and HGVC would be your 4 & 5 star resorts. It's not usually a wise use of your TS to trade HGVC in RCI. Use a HGVC TS to get into HGVC locations like Hawaii, NY, or the ski locations. Get a Marriott which exchanges in II and get a good low cost RCI points trader, like the Grand View in LV.

Pick up a good Marriott trader in Palm Springs or Orlando, with lower MF's

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
I do understand this, but I am really only looking at the resale market (or at least that's my plan from the research I have done) so I would think that I could get rid of it for close to what I paid because the person id be buying from would be the one taking the hit. Please correct me if im wrong here.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

-Paul

Here is a link to the Marriott Vacation Club website, that shows their locations:

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/vacation-resorts/marriott-vacation-club-collection.shtml

Last edited:

Paulydeets

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for the detailed information. Im going to look into all of these options, although Worldmark sounds pretty interesting and I would not have looked in that direction had I not found this site and posted this question.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I would like to recomend Holiday Inn vacation Club they have affiliation resorts in the NE. I know there is one in Vermont, also Orange Lake in Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Cape Canaveral, Fl. And many others. They are in RCI but also have internal exchanges and you can use points to stay at IHG hotels all over the world!
Best advice is join Tug, check the Marketplace section for resales. Maybe rent a week first to see if you like it. Good Luck and welcome to Timesharing
Silentg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
It works the other way around. WorldMark owners must set up an Interval International account through WorldMark, not through a regular II account.

Other timeshare weeks at resorts that are affiliated with Interval International can then be added to the WorldMark II account.

Thanks for answering the question I meant to research!! WM first in II.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks for answering the question I meant to research!! WM first in II.
Holiday Inn Vacation Club Also has short stay trial offers. HICVRewards.com/RCIFall.
This is not a sales pitch . I don't work for them, just a satisfied owner.
Silentg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thank you guys so much for the detailed information. Im going to look into all of these options, although Worldmark sounds pretty interesting and I would not have looked in that direction had I not found this site and posted this question.

Hey Pauly:

You got some great advice here. Don't let it overwhelm you, just note that many people like and enjoy what they have. They would like you to find a good fit BEFORE you sign up for 'payments for life' on something that doesn't fit your needs. Welcome.
Now, for my 2c

You mentioned NE and Virginia Beach.
Marriott has Williamsburg--a short distance from VB and near the theme parks. Marriott's trade very well in II and there are several higher-end II resorts in VB to trade into.
Marriott also has resorts in nearly all the other destinations you mentioned. With kids, Orlando is always a big attraction--Marriott has so many resorts in ORL, you could easily trade into one with Marriott preference. With e-plus trading (explain later) you could probably get a 3br as well.

You could definitely get a 2br lock-off in Williamsburg for under the money or in Orlando (Grande Vista Platinum). Maintenance fees would be right at $1300, I think.

So, my 2c on a nice 5* resort, lots of locations that you mentioned, Virginia Beach (area) etc....

Consider an annual Marriott Manor Club Plat 2br L/O or

Consider an EOY Marriott Manor Club Plat 2br L/O and
an EOY Marriott Grande Vista Plat 2br L/O

Either would give you a 'drivable' location at least EOY and you can easily trade Marriott to Marriott for the 'lesser' locations. (Orlando included)
That being said, M. platinum ski weeks during presidents day weekend are NOT going to be available for trade until <59 days--if ever.

If you have questions about how the Marriott trading works, I'd be glad to answer.

I also strongly advocate renting a Marriott in Orlando or WB to test out the waters and see if you like it. TUG, Redweek and others have great rentals at great prices. Basically like paying the MF's without buying the unit--and you get to pick your unit, week view etc...

Good luck! Join TUG--it's the best $15 you'll ever spend.