• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wilderness Presidential resort purchase vs resale

drewborn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My folks are contemplating purchasing a timeshare from this place and from all accounts it looks like a nice resort. They were going to purchase a timeshare that would give them roughly 23,500 points every year for a purchase price of $5000. I had told them that resale would be a better option in almost all cases. ( I found a TUGer offering up a free one at the same place).
One of the sales associate explained to them that a resale purchase would only allow them to use points for three years and would have to pay a Fee of $7000 to transfer a resale purchase through RCI. I am an II user and am pretty ignorant about RCI, but this does not sound accurate. What would be good advice for them? They like the resort, but like the points better. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Confusion reigns!

okay .. got the points currency issue cleared up ... see below!

Last edited:

drewborn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presidential Resort at Chancellorsville

Sorry,
The resort group is Vacation Villages but my assumption was that the points would be RCI points. I purchased the Colonies from them off Ebay and have been pretty happy with the results so far, but II does not have a points system that we use so I don't know if the comparison is the same. I don't know $5000 would equal 23,500 RCI points per year as I do not trade through them.

Last edited:

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was it biennial or triennial??

That would possibly make sense in the RCI world.

Not familiar with the resort.

Triennial would fit with the "3 years of points" - sales people usually loosely base things on facts.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
BAD DEAL .... RCI points can be had for just about FREE at other resorts and that is NOT a lot of RCI points. I have a 2/2 lockoff in RCI Points Prime week - I get 66,000 points per year and the MFs are $860 per year plus the RCI points membership fee ($89-109 every 3 year fee).

As for it being a 3 year RCI points with a $7000 "upgrade" after spending $5000 ...REALLY BAD DEAL.

If they want RCI Points, I will happily sell them a forever lasting deed for 2.8times the points but the same $5000 buy in....

drewborn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contract biennial: 46500 points every two years. The $7000 fee was quoted to them as the cost of transferring a resale property to RCI points.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
BAD DEAL ....IMHO ...

The sales staff is trying to salvage ANY FORM OF A SALE to your parents.

And they have several items on the table to confuse YOUR parents ... biannual points deal and a resale deed to be converted to RCI points.

And the infamous .... good now and ONLY now deal ... or is it, the forecloused unit which rarely happens ... or is it, the just found this under the filing cabinet deed and need to sell it before the boss realizes we messed up ... or is it, we took that in trade when we weren't ever supposed to do that again ... or is it, the spouse died and the wife is left with nothing and she was hungry?

Last edited:

drewborn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other key is HOW much would the yearly MFs be?

That would also tell us if they 23,500 pt yearly (not enough for most LOW season studios) or 70,500 pt ONCE every 3 years (a 2 bdr unit Prime season ONCE every 3 years).

Thank you for putting that in perspective. The big positive is the low MF ($475.00 every other year). My advice to them is to wait on a resale. Someone on these boards is giving away week 1-8 annual.

drewborn

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a follow on question: can you purchase a resale and transfer it into the RCI points system? (without paying 7K)

drewborn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resale was my advice to them. They went to cancel the deal and the sales person found out they were going to look for resale options. The sales person then was trying to talk my parents out of looking for a resale by telling them they would have to pay $7000 to transfer a resale to RCI points.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually, the conversion to RCI points is WHATEVER the resort/sales staff can extort from the fixed week owners to convert. I think it costs around $2500 total to convert a fixed week to RCI points ... except the sales group doing that wants to MAKE far bigger money for commissions and sales managers.

Most resorts allow a converted RCI Points deed to transfer to a new owner ... and that is how I got RCI points ... at least 6 deeded RCI points weeks. And I think to transfer, it was $225 RCI fee to transfer the RCI points account or to set a new one up.