• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which use year can be used for RCI reservations?

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
To clarify your clarification, and thereby confuse even more:
Granted, there's no need to move points to the RCI program to simply confirm an RCI booking with HGVC points. The deduction is merely made from your HGVC account. ...All well and good.

HOWEVER, does that mean you can confirm a future-year's booking if you do not have enuff points for the reservation in that year's allotment without a deposit or borrowing to move points to that year?

My hypothesis is that you may still need to deposit or borrow into the year for which additional points were needed.

I'm usually "pushing" my HGVC points forward (a.k.a. "saving") so I don't have a lot of experience in making a HGVC/RCI exchange with the use of forward HGVC points. It's been years since I've done this and my foggy recollection is that the HGVC/RCI rep, with supervisor approval, used HGVC points from two years out to make a RCI/HGVC exchange. I suspect that exchange was probably for several years out also since I usually reserve one to two years out.

Again, no charges for moving fees from HGVC to RCI that I can find, save for one time when it was done on Dec 30th and violated the HGVC "we will charge you if you can't plan ahead prior to our busy period during the last 30 days of the year" policy. :annoyed:

Also as I said, the HGVC/RCI reps are VERY motivated to make the exchange so tell them what you want to do and they usually find a way to do it.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the clarification.

So for the request that was two years out, did you receive a match two years out? If so, do you recall which years points were used?

Yes, I've received HGVC/RCI matches close to two years out. HGVC/RCI uses the available "non-rescued" HGVC points from current to future, just like the HGVC reps do when booking a HGVC reservation. I've have them use up to three years for one exchange ... scraps from current year, and one year out (due to cancellation) and some points from two years out.

Understand that I've made multiple exchanges several years out. Some with "saved" points from previous years and some with future points. (I own both HGVC developed resorts and HGVC affiliates so I sometimes use all the current year HGVC points, use future year HGVC points, and then move affilliate HGVC points back into the current year ... another HGVC strategy for another conversation). ;)

What are your thoughts on the RCI responses alexb received in post #17?

The responses confuse me. It sounds like responses from HGVC reps and HGVC/RCI reps (not the same) that are stating various HGVC and RCI rules. Also, the Scottish resorts may have some special restrictions?? I can't really respond since I don't totally understand the source of each comment and the context of those responses. << Previous comment made in the true spirit of the political election season >>

riz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarification :)

ok, so you previously wrote "Back in Fall 2009, I booked 6 nights via RCI (on Victoria) for Jul 2010, the points taken were from 2010..." but the points were really taken from 2009. Since you were using current year's points, the system allowed you to book online via the RCI portal (it didn't require that you call in).

Do you recall if this was booked using RCI Weekly or RCI Nightly?
Did you deposit your 2009 HGVC points before making the RCI reservation?
When you booked the reservation online, did you pay the HGVC club stretching fee + RCI exchange fee for the reservation?

Yea, I see that now, was a typo on my part, I will see if I can edit that entry to fix it correctly.

Its been a bit so if I remember it was like 129 (or maybe 79) fee for the RCI reservation.

sorry for the earlier confusion. Even re-reading my entry I didn't see it til you point it out.
I don't remember if it was weekly or nightly but I know I didn't stay for a full week, we stayed 6 nights, so I assume nightly?

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
If you have unused HGVC points for 2010, you can deposit them into RCI prior to December 15, 2010 and they will be good for two years. You may also choose to have that option applied automatically via the website or a telephone call to HGVC. I usually begin my RCI redemption search 1 1/2 to 2 years in advance.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
(I own both HGVC developed resorts and HGVC affiliates so I sometimes use all the current year HGVC points, use future year HGVC points, and then move affilliate HGVC points back into the current year ... another HGVC strategy for another conversation). ;

Very interesting....:cool:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. :)