• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gold/Platinum Overlap?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Thanks for replies to other questions (and AlwaysonVac, I appreciate your response in the other thread on Octoer HHV -- very helpful).

Has anyone encountered a situation where the weeks and seasons overlap? And how points discrepancies are considered?

As an example, I cite 2012 at HHV, in October.

Week 41 (Gold)

Friday check-in: October 14-21
Saturday check-in: October 8-15
Sunday check-in: October 9-16

Week 42 (Platinum):

Friday check-in: October 21-28
Saturday check-in: October 15-22
Sunday check-in: October 16-23

So.....if I start a reservation on Friday, October 14th, and continue it out for 6-7 days, I can see where those dates are considered Gold in certain situations, and Platinum in others. Would this reservation get charged at Gold points requirements (Week 41) or Platinum points (Week 42)?

Interesting situation -- I'm sure others have seen and considered if there is an inefficiency at the seasons overlap, but I'm just curious.

Any thoughts or perspective would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
All,

Thanks for replies to other questions (and AlwaysonVac, I appreciate your response in the other thread on Octoer HHV -- very helpful).

Has anyone encountered a situation where the weeks and seasons overlap? And how points discrepancies are considered?

Week 41 (Gold)

Week 42 (Platinum):

So.....if I start a reservation on Friday, October 14th, and continue it out for 6-7 days, I can see where those dates are considered Gold in certain situations, and Platinum in others. Would this reservation get charged at Gold points requirements (Week 41) or Platinum points (Week 42)?

Interesting situation -- I'm sure others have seen and considered if there is an inefficiency at the seasons overlap, but I'm just curious.

Any thoughts or perspective would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Greg

I've run into this situation but I don't recall how it did the calculation.

Perhaps try playing around in the reservation system with overlapping seasons in Orlando or Vegas and see how the system calculates the number of points required in each scenario.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I've run into this situation but I don't recall how it did the calculation.

Perhaps try playing around in the reservation system with overlapping seasons in Orlando or Vegas and see how the system calculates the number of points required in each scenario.

I did play with Bay Club since it allows Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday check-in, and the same gold/platinum overlap exists in June 2011.

Interestingly, it appears to honor the Gold points value for 7 day reservations beginning on Saturday June 4, 2011 (which is Platinum season), because Friday June 3, 2011 thru Friday June 10, 2011 is still Gold (but June 4, 2011 - June 11, 2011 is Platinum).

However, Kohala Suites prices at the full 7,000 points, which is correct for Platinum season (but this could be because it is only Saturday check-ins).

Interesting stuff -- I'll keep tracking this since it intrigues me, and will post if I can learn something useful.

Best to all,

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I did play with Bay Club since it allows Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday check-in, and the same gold/platinum overlap exists in June 2011.

Interestingly, it appears to honor the Gold points value for 7 day reservations beginning on Saturday June 4, 2011 (which is Platinum season), because Friday June 3, 2011 thru Friday June 10, 2011 is still Gold (but June 4, 2011 - June 11, 2011 is Platinum).

However, Kohala Suites prices at the full 7,000 points, which is correct for Platinum season (but this could be because it is only Saturday check-ins).

Interesting stuff -- I'll keep tracking this since it intrigues me, and will post if I can learn something useful.

Best to all,

Greg
I never realized that the Bay Club has several Check-in / Check-out dates for owners.

All of the HGVC developed resorts have a single check-in date for owners during their home week - Saturday for Hawaii, Saturday for Orlando, Friday Las Vegas and Friday for South Beach.

Since HHV's single check-in date for owners is Saturday during the Home Week Reservation Window, I would assume during the Club Reservation Window that the season begins Saturday night.

In your example above, week #42 begins Sat Oct 15 therefore I would assume the days that include the night of Sat Oct 15 or later would be booked at a Platinum Season rate and the days before Sat Oct 15 would be booked at the Gold Season rate. Again this is my assumption on how it should work for reservations that overlap seasons.

Looking at the HGVC developed resorts with single check-in/check-out days during overlapping seasons may confirm your answer for HHV.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Week 41 (Gold)

Week 42 (Platinum):

Greg

Essentially you're charged by the point value of the stay per night, thus the example date you cite (Oct 14) would be gold value points straight on.

Remember the last night in your date ranges (above) are check out and don't count as the 21st would be your eighth day, a platinum night. To take this out a bit further say you checked in Wed Oct 19 and checked out Monday Oct 24, the first two nights would be charged against gold points value for lower demand nights and the remaining three nights would be booked as platinum value points, with the Fri/Sat being charged higher demand weekend values within the Platinum points valuation.

Friday and Saturday night stays typically cost more points than Sunday - Thursday nights.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Essentially you're charged by the point value of the stay per night, thus the example date you cite (Oct 14) would be gold value points straight on.

Remember the last night in your date ranges (above) are check out and don't count as the 21st would be your eighth day, a platinum night. To take this out a bit further say you checked in Wed Oct 19 and checked out Monday Oct 24, the first two nights would be charged against gold points value for lower demand nights and the remaining three nights would be booked as platinum value points, with the Fri/Sat being charged higher demand weekend values within the Platinum points valuation.

Friday and Saturday night stays typically cost more points than Sunday - Thursday nights.

UWSurfer,

Thank you -- this is indeed very puzzling to me.

I agree completely with you about Friday, October 14th in my example.

The mystery (to me at least) is how to treat Saturday October 15th thru Friday, October 21st.

In one situation (Friday check-in) those days are Gold as they are the last six nights of Week 41 (Gold).

In another situation (Saturday check-in) those days are Platinum as they are the first six nights of Week 42 (Platinum).

Very odd. I found a single example with Bay Club where even a Saturday check-in in what should have started as Platinum week 23 at Bay Club as charged with Gold Week 22 points requirements.

I don't think it matters with Bay Club because availability in Gold appear appears to be very strong, but I'm curious if possible points discrepancies could also appear in a very high demand property like HHV. But because it's full up on those period where the seasons overlap, I can't see if the same potential discrepancy exists.

Interesting stuff...I'll keep tracking....thanks to all!!

Greg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It all depends on the checkin date of the underlying week. That is what is used to determine the point value.

So if you stay 5 nights on Sun to Fri on a week that has a Fri checkin and that Fri was Gold season you will be charged Gold for the 5 days.

It all goes back to the the underlying week. If you book 7 days this is pretty straight forward, if you book a checkin date that is gold than you will be charged gold the entire stay.

If you have a checkin day that includes partial days in gold and partial days in Platinum, likely you booked a Tuesday to Tuesday the first few days are gold, but eventually the remainin days will spill over to Platinum.

It is hard to exactly tell what you will get charged in points because it depends on which week you take inventory from and number of days in your stay. It is often that, especially for stays for less than 7 days, you might have different point calculations. Some may be less because more days are in gold then platinum.

Just look at all of the various options available to you.