• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to exchange for cruise - II or ICE?

tcrny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. At Christmas we purchased for first time a 2 BR at Westgate Palace in Orlando for week 51 and want to exchange for a cruise this summer. This is my first timeshare and I'm confused where to start. With our timeshare we have membership to II and ICE. I'm trying to read up but so much info that I'm not sure which place to contact first. Has anyone done this and point me in the right direction? Thanks so much.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. At Christmas we purchased for first time a 2 BR at Westgate Palace in Orlando for week 51 and want to exchange for a cruise this summer. This is my first timeshare and I'm confused where to start. With our timeshare we have membership to II and ICE. I'm trying to read up but so much info that I'm not sure which place to contact first. Has anyone done this and point me in the right direction? Thanks so much.

We haven't used II or Ice to book a cruise, but have looked at RCI and I'm afraid you are going to find it's going to cost you more money than you expect to exchange for a cruise. It's never a points = cruise swap. Just to prepare you for the inevitable.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
You would be MUCH better off finding a cruise at a reliable discounter such as vacationstogo.com and using your timeshare either for a vacation or a trade. You will end up paying lots of $$ extra for a cruise through any exchange company.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
You would be MUCH better off finding a cruise at a reliable discounter such as vacationstogo.com and using your timeshare either for a vacation or a trade. You will end up paying lots of $$ extra for a cruise through any exchange company.
First check the prices on all the cruises you're interested in on vacationstogo.com, other online discounters, and on the cruise lines' websites. THEN, with the prices, including taxes and fees, in your hand, call II and ICE to see what they'll offer. I agree with other posters that usually, you're better off to just purchase a cruise and use your timeshare for something else. But occasionally the exchange companies offer a good deal. Be careful, the ICE and II cruise representatives are salespeople and especially if you haven't cruised much before, it's easy to misunderstand their pitch and pay too much :eek: Don't forget to consider the value of your timeshare and its maintenance fee.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to add up all the fees. Very often the cash cost of a ''cruise exchange'' is more than you could buy the same cruise for from a cruise discounter. And the cruise discounter, unlike the ''cruise exchange'' does not require you to give up your timeshare week!

Here is a list of clickable links to cruise discounter sites:

http://www.timeshareforums.com/links/cruise-ships-8/

Reaction score
Being an ex-timeshare sales guy I can assure you that timeshare's were never meant to be cruise programs. This is the math you need to use to evaluate a cruise option.

If you purchased a 2 bedroom at Westgate for Christmas week you prob paid about $18,000, and I assume you financed it so you are probably paying at least 13% interest. Your Maint. Fee for Orlando has to be around $650 or more as well. So if you own a timeshare for 10 years (normal loan time) you will spend
the following each year....

Estimated monthly payment $268x12 = $3216
Maint. Fee = $650

Total $3866 per year you spend on your timeshare.

Add to that the fees they will charge you to trade in your week for a cruise (average $250 per person) and you have one of the worst cruise deals possible.

Now if you paid off your timeshare and didn't finance....

$18,000 divided by 10 years (average length of time an owner keeps a timeshare) $ 1800 per year plus the $650 = $2450 per week a year.

Now $2450 divided by 7 nights is $350 a night for a 2 bedroom condo for Christmas week, an ok price. But $350 a night for a Cruise plus the fees they charge you is absolute robbery....

tcrny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being an ex-timeshare sales guy I can assure you that timeshare's were never meant to be cruise programs. This is the math you need to use to evaluate a cruise option.

If you purchased a 2 bedroom at Westgate for Christmas week you prob paid about $18,000, and I assume you financed it so you are probably paying at least 13% interest. Your Maint. Fee for Orlando has to be around $650 or more as well. So if you own a timeshare for 10 years (normal loan time) you will spend
the following each year....

Estimated monthly payment $268x12 = $3216
Maint. Fee = $650

Total $3866 per year you spend on your timeshare.

Add to that the fees they will charge you to trade in your week for a cruise (average $250 per person) and you have one of the worst cruise deals possible.

Now if you paid off your timeshare and didn't finance....

$18,000 divided by 10 years (average length of time an owner keeps a timeshare) $ 1800 per year plus the $650 = $2450 per week a year.

Now $2450 divided by 7 nights is $350 a night for a 2 bedroom condo for Christmas week, an ok price. But $350 a night for a Cruise plus the fees they charge you is absolute robbery....

Yes, you are pretty much right on regarding the price. Thank you very much for explaining this out for me ... it makes perfect sense. Because we told them we mainly cruised, thats what they used as part of sale tactic. But absolutely, your explanation really helped me. Thanks so much!