• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Requalify Problem...

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently brought a Sheraton Mountain Vista. I am trying to requalify the unit into SVO. The saleman won't sell me a unit for requalification because my unit already have staroptions and be able to convert to starpoints. The person says that I am already in Starwood Network... How can that possible? He feel "QUILTY" if he sell me another unit for requalification that I already have access to staroptions and starpoints.

Anyone brought resale that come with staroptions and what happen to it????

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
you should contact Gary Eno, he is the most experienced guy down there at SMV and he fuly undertands that resales dont qualify for SVN, and will be more than happy to sell you another unit. It is his job to work with owners and sell them more. What unit size/season is it....what did you pay for it....if you dont mind me asking as I own thre and like to keep up with resale prices.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
myip,

Sheraton Mountain Vista (“SMV”) is a “voluntary” resort, meaning it loses both its StarOptions and StarPoints on resale. Your are correct in thinking that the only legitimate way to bring in a resale purchase of SMV back into the SVN is by buying a new developer unit. See the above “SVO Resale” thread for more info on how to do this.

That being said, other tuggers have reported that their “voluntary” resort resale purchases have, on occasion, continued to show on SVN’s systems as having StarOptions and StarPoints. This is probably a data entry error at SVN. However, SVN appears to periodically audit these issues and correct them as it finds them. For example, Resale owners who have booked reservations with their erroneously-granted StarOptions have seen their reservations cancelled without notice.

It is possible that your SMV resale was erroneously granted StarOptions and StarPoints. If so, you have the choice of either rolling the dice and hoping they don’t catch their mistake, or coming clean with SVN and requalifying it legitimately with another developer purchase.

Your salesman should be willing and able to help you sort through these issues. If not, find another salesman.

Good Luck,
-Nodge

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
nodge said:
myip,
That being said, other tuggers have reported that their “voluntary” resort resale purchases have, on occasion, continued to show on SVN’s systems as having StarOptions and StarPoints. This is probably a data entry error at SVN. However, SVN appears to periodically audit these issues and correct them as it finds them. For example, Resale owners who have booked reservations with their erroneously-granted StarOptions have seen their reservations cancelled without notice.

Nodge is correct and this did happen to me. I actually went ahead and made reservations using staroptions and then....they were cancelled later.

You should contact SVO and have them correct your resale account.

All the best,
Duke

vic714

TUG Member
Reaction score
duke said:
You should contact SVO and have them correct your resale account.

When I purchased my resale EOY Plat at WMH it showed up in My Star Central as having both StarOptions & StarPoints for 2006. It took about two weeks before they caught it and now my StarOptions balance shows -148,100 for 2006.

We'll see if they try and reduce my 2007 balance at the end of the year. I plan on making a reservation in Nov. of this year for 2007 using my 2007 balance so I hope it doesn't get cancelled without me knowing.

Duke, when your reservation was cancelled did they notify you?

Victor

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
vic714 said:
When I purchased my resale EOY Plat at WMH it showed up in My Star Central as having both StarOptions & StarPoints for 2006. It took about two weeks before they caught it and now my StarOptions balance shows -148,100 for 2006.

We'll see if they try and reduce my 2007 balance at the end of the year. I plan on making a reservation in Nov. of this year for 2007 using my 2007 balance so I hope it doesn't get cancelled without me knowing.

Duke, when your reservation was cancelled did they notify you?

Victor

Victor,

I must have missed the previous threads about Staroptions and Starpoints showing up in non-mandatory resale cases. Interesting!

So for your 2006 week, did you actually use the Staroptions? If your account shows -148,100, won't they deduct those from any erroneous 2007 Staroptions? Are all of your Staroptions showing up together in one big pool?
When did you purchase your non-mandatory resale?

I'm just trying to understand how Starwood might handle these resales, thanks!

vic714

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:
So for your 2006 week, did you actually use the Staroptions? If your account shows -148,100, won't they deduct those from any erroneous 2007 Staroptions?

Denise,
All of my 2006 Staroptions were used. My resale closed in July and the contract showed up online about 2 weeks after that. I knew that the seller had already converted to Starpoints and that the 2006 use year wasn't attached to the sale. He was more that willing to let me have the week but I already have used up my 4 weeks of vacation and it would have gone to waste. When I logged on and saw that the Staroptions were available I crossed my fingers and hoped that it would stay that way, but they caught the error. When I saw the negative Staroption balance I called to have Starwood send me a transaction list showing me all of the Staroptions I had used for 2006 including the 2007 Staroptions I had borrowed from 2007. I want to have it on record in case they try and deduct their error from my 2007 Staroptions that I still have available.

deniselew said:
Are all of your Staroptions showing up together in one big pool?

As of right now they are. All of my previous purchases have been through Starwood. I had to buy resale this time since WMH is sold out and I do love going there. I currently own EOY Gold Season there and I always seem to use that resort to borrow against to add a few extra nights on my stays.

deniselew said:
When did you purchase your non-mandatory resale?

I'm just trying to understand how Starwood might handle these resales, thanks!

I plan on getting the resale brough in on my next developer purchase. If they do it the right way it should be brought in and have all of the same rights as a developer purchased week.

Victor

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Victor,

Thanks for clarifying what happened. So you own an EOY Gold at WMH and bought a resale there? And you are planning to buy another developer week...wow, which resort?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
vic71Duke said:
Vic:

I too, purchased resales at WMH. And, yes, they first gave me SO and SP and I went ahead and made a reservation at another resort. They cancelled my reservation much later and never called me. When I called they just said I should have known. I could have actually went to the other resort and been out of luck.

You can call Owner Services and they will fix your account. They are very helpfull if you explain the situation.

Duke

vic714

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:
And you are planning to buy another developer week...wow, which resort?

I'm hoping to buy in Aruba when they start selling. I will only purchase if it's set up as a mandatory resort.

I think that having the ability to convert to Starpoints is one of the greatest options that Starwood has. I can convert one of my Vistana Villages weeks into Starpoints, then convert those points into FF miles and upgrade any flight to First Class. We did this for 2006 & 2007 flights to Maui. The $800 we paid for MF to upgrade from coach is a small price to pay. The way I look at it I spent $800 to get over $7,000 in value. ( $940 for coach vs. $4500 for FF for each seat ) Not a bad trade in my book. I still hear people say that Staroption to Starpoint conversion is a waste, but I think it's a GREAT way to add value.

Now if I could only find a way to invest my money and get that kind of return.

Victor

vic714

TUG Member
Reaction score
duke said:
I too, purchased resales at WMH.
Duke

Duke,

Can I ask what you paid for your resale? I got my Plat EOY for $7,200 w/closing included. Only problem was first use year wasn't until 2008.

Victor

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vic714 said:
Duke,

Can I ask what you paid for your resale? I got my Plat EOY for $7,200 w/closing included. Only problem was first use year wasn't until 2008.

Victor

I'm assuming this is a 2 bedroom lockoff?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
deniselew said:
I'm assuming this is a 2 bedroom lockoff?

It must be--that's all they sold at WMH.

Glorian

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Updates: the staroptions and starpoints are no longer showing on mystarcentral.com. Oh well, it is easy come and easy go...