• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Four Season Scottsdale "giving away silver"

Bill4728

Reaction score
We just visited the Four Seasons in Scottsdale and were surprised that they are basically giving away silver (summer) weeks. If you buy a gold week (June & Fall) for $34K, they will sell you a silver week for $1,600. Which is less than the MF for the week. They also will for $150 let you upgrade your silver useage to gold if they have a free unit. So you could buy a gold and silver unit for $35,600 and use both weeks in gold season if there is availablity.

I can understand that the silver weeks are hard to sell when they come with a $1850 MF, but still?

S

Steamboat Bill

I visited Scottsdale in the summer one year and vowed never to repeat that mistake again....I felt like a human hotdog.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
What additional benefits do you get buying from the developer that you give up if you buy resale?

Otherwise, data available from this resale listing site . . ..

http://www.timeshareaz.com/forsale_az.htm

. . . suggest that resale 2 BR lock-off gold weeks can be found for around $14,000 -$15,000/each. Accordingly, you could simply buy two resale gold weeks for about $5,000 less than this developer deal and be GUARANTEED use of both weeks during Gold season. You’d probably also have an easier time selling one of these gold weeks down the road, rather than trying to find a buyer for your silver week.

If you had around $36,000 burning a hole in your pocket, you could buy a Platinum week resale for around $22,500, and a gold week resale for $14,500 for a total cost of $37,000, and no risk of ever being a human hot dog.

S

Steamboat Bill

Even if the weeks were given away for free...there is still the $1850 MF every year.

Bill4728

Reaction score
nodge said:
What additional benefits do you get buying from the developer that you give up if you buy resale?

The benefit you give up by buying resale at the Four Seasons is the internal exchanges to other Four Seasons locations.

I would never by these units retail, but I thought this was interesting info. Even the Four Seasons doesn't value its silver weeks very much.

PS the units are the biggest and nicest of any TS I've seen. The lockoff is much bigger and nicer than the lock-offs for Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt or Club Intrawest.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill4728 said:
PS the units are the biggest and nicest of any TS I've seen. The lockoff is much bigger and nicer than the lock-offs for Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt or Club Intrawest.

It better be with those Maintenance Fee's! :D

Bill4728

Reaction score
There is no justification for those MF, but the 4S says that they're high because of the daily maid service and the 24 hr room service.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Scottsdale 4S is, indeed, lovely. We stayed there on a promotional stay. It was very luxurious and the service was impeccable. But it was truly in the middle of nowhere! And a round of golf was very expensive and took almost 5 hours. It was cart-path only on fairways that were so hard, an Abrams M-1 tank couldn't have harmed them.

In the end, we ended up purchasing at the Westin Kierland. I think the units are much, much nicer and also much brighter. And both sides of the lock-off have a living room for those wishing to split and use two weeks. And I also liked the Kierland area much better.

At the time I bought, I could have purchased FS resale for the same price as Kierland, altho we got a slew of points from Starwood that dramatically reduced our price (like by $7,000!). Very happy with our decision and we've never looked back. That said, it was a lovely stay at the FS.

fmr MVCI

Reaction score
the service is on par with a top notch hotel. You can't compare 4S w/ traditional TS.

That said, it is an easy exchange with a decent qualtity TS.

Their kid's club is he best at any resort.

S

Steamboat Bill

fmr MVCI said:
the service is on par with a top notch hotel. You can't compare 4S w/ traditional TS.

That said, it is an easy exchange with a decent qualtity TS.

Their kid's club is he best at any resort.

Please define easy trade....how could it be easy with those MF?