• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I got nabbed - Speeding Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill one thing you must understand is that the radar gun is just for show. The cops who are trained in radar are also trained and certified on knowing the speed of a car within 1 mile an hour. It's that certification that maters, not the radar gun.

That said, yes we all speed. But when you get caught you just own up to it like a man and not look for some out with a lawyer. Pay the fine and insurance penalty and get on with it already.

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Yep...

Best to stay in Florida Bill. It's not so easy to get off here in California. The fines are high and will probably be going higher given our fiscal woes.

Here in Calif, school only gets the points off the record. You still pay the full fine AND extra for the school.

The fine is $215 for doing 51mph in a 40mph only because I have to wind up the Ole' 94 Saturn to make it to the top.

They had the trap just around the corner at the bottom of the uphill grade.

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with the original post or Bill trying to 'beat' this ticket. Is he taking advantage of a screwed up system of our government? Yes. Is it his right to do so? Yes.

We all can have our day in court when being accused of breaking the law. That's his right.

If I have a problem with anything about this thread, it's that this particular OP is a moderator and should represent TUG more appropriately. When you try to generate a response about a topic and you don't agree with someone's response, there is no reason to make rude comments.

Wow...now I know why your screen name is "wacky"

And while his response does make sense, I also feel it is inappropriate.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill one thing you must understand is that the radar gun is just for show. The cops who are trained in radar are also trained and certified on knowing the speed of a car within 1 mile an hour. It's that certification that maters, not the radar gun.

That said, yes we all speed. But when you get caught you just own up to it like a man and not look for some out with a lawyer. Pay the fine and insurance penalty and get on with it already.

Yes, everyone does speed at some point - personally, I try not to. I do glance at my speedometer and realize I have crept up a mile or two above the limit, and then adjust accordingly. Hopefully most of us do NOT go in excess of 15 mph over the posted speed limit. I think that is excessive, and certainly not "safe". Generally the posted limit is what it is for a reason.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, I, too (and many others) pay HUGE taxes but it does not give us (or anyone else) the right to squander the taxpayer's money on foolishess, pure foolishness.

Absolutely. That right is reserved for our elected officials.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. That right is reserved for our elected officials.

...and all their other certain & select fellow citizens who feel that the law does not pertain to them.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
So, Bill, you've posted in a public forum that you KNEW you were speeding at LEAST 15 MPH over the posted speed limit. Isn't that rather a stupid thing to do? A lot of people here don't like you and I'm sure some know your full name. What's to stop someone from forwarding this post to the court? You'd be dead meat then.

BTW, I'm the first to admit that I have a very heavy foot. I drive a Dodge Charger with a hemi so doesn't that mean I HAVE to drive fast? :D

McKShr6

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must be too trusting but until tonight I had assumed that what was posted on TUG , especially by a Moderator and TUG lifetime member was the truth. I do agree if Steamboat Bill is going to be a Moderator he should represent TUG more appropriately and he shouldn't have been rude to Wackymother. If you are going to try to beat a speeding ticket ( after admitting that you really were speeding) it's pretty stupid to post it on the internet.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with contesting a traffic ticket.

I contested two tickets I got in California by mail, using the process as described by the state legislature. I posted about it here in the TUG lounge. One was dismissed and I paid the fine on the other one.

California, specifically, has a rule about speed limits that require traffic surveys for a speed limit to be considered legal. If the speed limit is 25 on a road and the average speed on that road is 35 or 40, the 25 MPH speed limit is not legal on that road. Radar and other speed measuring devices have to be calibrated and tested properly in order to ensure their accuracy. If they can't produce the records to prove that they have been properly calibrated and tested, you can have the ticket dismissed.

There's all kinds of good reasons to contest any ticket, and that's what due process is about. I don't pretend that due process actually exists in many traffic courts, but I don't see any problem with contesting any violation, no matter what you did or didn't do, and I don't think anybody should be judged by the people here for doing it and posting about it, unless of course, you are so completely perfect that you've never done anything wrong in your life.

I've contested many tickets that were written above that 1MPH difference between a small amount of points and a large number of points, and in all cases, all I had to do was talk to the prosecutor and ask him to agree to reduce the offense to the lower speed and I would plead guilty at the lower level. If he didn't agree to the terms, I could get a postponement, hire an attorney, and decide what to do from there.

-David

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

Wow…I take my eye off this thread and all heck breaks loose and people start reporting this thread as a problem post and posting that I am rude to other members.

I have NEVER gotten any points on my license in 30 years of driving and have never been in an accident, although someone backed into my parked car one time at a shopping mall.

About 20 years ago I was actually pulled over one time for driving too slow and got off with a warning. I was lost and that was pre-GPS days and I was a young gentleman with a fancy car…the police officer told me one sign of drunk driving was driving too slow.

I did get a speeding ticket about 10-15 years ago that I challenged in court and won with no points, no school and no fine as the cop never showed up for court and I was let off scott free.

A few hours ago, I drove the street where I received a citation and it is pretty confusing as a three lane road with a 45mph turns off into a single lane road with a 30mph zone without any speed limit change warning. Thus, it really is pretty confusing and I think I have a winnable case.

I add “color” to some of my stories and they are all 100% true…go ahead and try to disprove any one…seriously, why would I make these things up?

I have met several TUGers in real life and perhaps they can either vouch or challenge anything I posted. Anything I posted on this thread with personal information was in response to someone questioning my integrity.

I also believe OJ was guilty…but guess what, he had his day in court and he was proven not-guilty (that is not the same as innocent). Perhaps that is a bad example as I think he did it, but it clarifies the point I am trying to make about challenging this speeding ticket.

BTW – according to the dictionary – “wacky” means “eccentric or irrational” and that is not a bad thing. If my screen name was "Troll Bill" and someone posted that I looked like a Troll, then I doubt I would be too upset about it.

One thing I am not is a hypocrite and if you are a driver and think I am a jerk for challenging a speeding ticket that is fine. But my advice is that people in glass houses should not throw stones. If every speeder got a ticket, nobody would have a license as they all would be revoked. I am not justifying my “possible” speeding as I really don’t know how fast I was driving because I was shocked to see an officer jump out from behind a large tree and raise his hands for me to stop…geeze, if I was going that fast, I probably would have hit him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
For starters, here's one blaring difference:

I got a speeding ticket once. I deserved it. I was not paying attention, speeding +12 mph over the limit, apologized, owned up to it and did not try to weasel out of it.
Had to pay the extra insurance for about 7 years. Sucked it up, learned a hard, but valuable lesson. Was respsonsible for my irresponsible actions. Simple.

Not one poster is claiming perfection here.

Very true, contesting a ticket is very thing to do when you're not guility of speeding. Trying to beat it when you are, completely different.

The original story seems to be morphing into something different.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
The officer could have cut me a break and written 14 mph instead of 15. But then again, I "may" have been traveling faster than 15mph...who can trust speedometers these days???

Steamboat Bill said:
I am not justifying my “possible” speeding as I really don’t know how fast I was driving

So which is it? Those 2 statements contradict each other.

S

Steamboat Bill

After rereading this thread from the start, I think I will limit my future posts as everyone here is taking personal shots at me and I am unable to post any replies as I am a "moderator" or "lifetime member" and anything I post will be taken out of context.

My intention was to share my experience (and hopeful victory) and it saddens me that anyone would threaten me with reporting this thread to the police department where I live.

It also saddens me that people think I lie and make up stories and keep bringing up DIS where I was banned for trying to encourage people to raise the rental rates (which is an acceptable topic now).

Even thought I am getting more involved with Destination Clubs than timeshares, I still love timeshares (and own a ton of them) and my future goal is to travel 52 weeks per year in TIMESHARES when my kids go off to college as who really needs a large home then.

Truth be told.....I really have no idea how fast I was driving.

If I was a chronic speeder, I would be like several of my buddies that own Porsches and Ferraris and install a $1,500 laser gun jammer. Those seem to work pretty well.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not paying attention, speeding +12 mph over the limit, apologized, owned up to it and did not try to weasel out of it.

Not one poster is claiming perfection here.

Very true, contesting a ticket is very thing to do when you're not guility of speeding. Trying to beat it when you are, completely different.

How is that not judgmental? (Besides, speaking for everybody else that posted.)

Bill's a relatively easy target because of the way he posts.

-David

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
it saddens me that anyone would threaten me with reporting this thread to the police department where I live.

If you are referring to my post, then you'd better read it again. I was pointing out to you that when you post info like this on the internet, you leave yourself open to having it used against you in court. No one was "threatening" you.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this thread needs to calm down or be closed.

certainly heated on both sides...and i think we are all capable of speaking our mind without being insulting.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is that not judgmental? (Besides, speaking for everybody else that posted.)+

Bill's a relatively easy target because of the way he posts.**

-David

*Not judgemental, a factual observation in reviewing all posts. Did not read one poster as claiming to be perfect, that is, unless you read something I missed which is entirely possible.

** How true.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I will monitor the court's website as this is in the public domain.
We have quick access to this link at law school.
Got to get back to studying.
It's been interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Context, Shmontext.

After rereading this thread from the start, I think I will limit my future posts as everyone here is taking personal shots at me and I am unable to post any replies as I am a "moderator" or "lifetime member" and anything I post will be taken out of context.
Ahh, don't do that, Steamer. Keep'm coming. Let the context take care of itself.

What do we care about context anyway ?

I mean, all this is is a timeshare discussion forum. Who takes any of it even semi-seriously ?

We need context around here the way penguins needs snowshoes, the way turtles need pup tents.

So you collect a few slings & arrows along the way. No biggie.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
*Not judgemental, a factual observation in reviewing all posts.

Specifically, this:

Trying to beat it when you are, completely different.

FWIW, I agree with Alan's last post.

I found the website to be informative and interesting that there was a law firm that specialized only in traffic tickets and had a no pay if they lose policy. I wondered how they could actually make money at it. I guess if they get enough defendants and the same attorney can represent them all in the same court session, it might be worthwhile. I also wondered what the fine print was on the guarantee.

A lot of people tell other people to do things on TUG that I would never consider. Sometimes I post about them, usually I don't bother.

Oh well, that's it for me in this thread. Have fun. If you're not having fun, maybe move on to the next fun topic?

-David

S

Steamboat Bill

Against my better judgment....I find myself drawn back to posting on this thread like a moth flies into the light and a certain death.

Bill's a relatively easy target because of the way he posts.

-David

Thanks David....everyone should know that you were the only TUGer that visited me in Maui and the other guests were from the DC4MS website.

Also, David kindly brought over a delicious apple pie, some new golf balls (as we kept hitting the old ones into the creek and bushes) and even offered his house to me if I needed to shower before my late flight as my check-out was 11am, but we drove to Hana and barely made it to the airport in time. Thanks again for the offer and it was a pleasure meeting you in real life. I guess my onscreen personality is a little edgier than my real life personality.

In case you missed the pics I uploaded of the awesome Maui home...here they are:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steamboatbill/sets/72157605834990816/detail/

Getting back to the topic at hand, I will monitor the court's website as this is in the public domain.
We have quick access to this at law school.

Interesting, but is that really possible, as there are probably thousands of tickets written each day and you are only interested in my outcome. I will gladly post about it here and if you do find it online...congrats. I never admitted that I absolutely was speeding....I only said I got a citation. Good luck with law school and perhaps this thread has taught you something about the legal system you are about to enter.

Ahh, don't do that, Steamer. Keep'm coming. Let the context take care of itself.

Shux, I am taking your advice cautiously.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Interesting, but not that possible, as there are probably thousands of tickets written each day and you are only interested in my outcome. I will gladly post about it here and if you do find it online...congrats. I never admitted that I absolutely was speeding....I only said I got a citation."

Uh, extremely possible and simple.

I am interested in the truth, actually.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, David kindly brought over a delicious apple pie, some new golf balls (as we kept hitting them into the creek and bushes).

In the interest of full disclosure, I asked Bill what I should bring to the BBQ.

His answer: Golf Balls!

So that's what I brought. But I figured I should bring some food with me.

Bill and his wife made steaks, chicken, some great appetizers including a ton of large shrimp, some great side dishes, macadamia nut brownies, ... there was this great string bean side dish, with almond slivers, but the beans were dry and crisp. That was really good too.

I know, I said I wouldn't post any more in this thread, but at least this was off topic.

-David

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks David....everyone should know that you were the only TUGer that visited me in Maui and the other guests were from the DC4MS website.

Great that you guys got together on Maui. :D

Now, Bill, was this the night of the FULL MOON incident?:rofl:

Marty

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have lived in the same house for 30 years. Everyone, if they drive, and live in the neighborhood for over 6 months- will get at least one ticket on one of 5 streets. Its all residential with hills.

Family members/friends that visit me are all warned. Sooner or later you will get a ticket. You just pick up speed going down those hills. Its a good thing, dont know of one child that has been hit.

One day I, too was going down one of the hills and was pulled over. "Can I see your driver's license and registration, Mam" I gave him my license and the officer had the nerve to laugh. My picture isnt very good but how rude.
He asked me if I had a son and did he drive a Subaru too. "Yes" I said.
He then said "I cant give 2 tickets to the same family in the same day." He went on to tell me I needed to slow down and be a better example for my son, he also was going 42 miles.

So that night at dinner. I said "Alan, Ive told you a hundred times to slow down around here and now you have a ticket." He was shocked. How did I know, which neighbor told me. I said the police office pulled me over and told me he had given my son a ticket. Alan, of course, still didnt believe me. Then I said how come you were going 42 miles in a 30 mile/hr zone. I said MOMS KNOW EVERYTHING and went on with my dinner. :banana:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
this thread needs to calm down or be closed.

certainly heated on both sides...and i think we are all capable of speaking our mind without being insulting.

Brian, can you please close down this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.