• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Islander Unit 4112S

TomR

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an exchange into the Royal Islander next year for Unit 4112S, which is a 1-bedroom unit. Based on the resort map, it appears as if this is a first floor beachfront unit. I know there is no guarantee that I will actually be assigned this unit, but in the event that I am, are there any downsides to it such as security issues, etc. I have an opportunity to switch to a 2-bedroom unit for an additional exchange fee but as of now I don’t need the extra space. Thanks in advance.
Tom

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an exchange into the Royal Islander next year for Unit 4112S, which is a 1-bedroom unit. Based on the resort map, it appears as if this is a first floor beachfront unit. I know there is no guarantee that I will actually be assigned this unit, but in the event that I am, are there any downsides to it such as security issues, etc. I have an opportunity to switch to a 2-bedroom unit for an additional exchange fee but as of now I don’t need the extra space. Thanks in advance.
Tom

Security issues shouldn't be a problem. The beaches and lawns in front of the ground floor units are patrolled all night. The units are set back a bit on lawns, so getting to it requires being on the beach, climbing stairs, then walking on the lawn.

We exchanged into 4812 this summer - just a few over from yours (building 8 is next door to building 1). We thought ground floor beachfront would be great, but after staying there we decided we preferred to be higher up because of the lack of a view. I also was nervous about my teenage daughter and all the (in her words) "hot guys".

The only drawbacks I see are 1) you don't get much of a view being on the ground floor, 2) if you have teen agers or kids you might be nervous about them going out at night.

jschmidt

Reaction score
Here’s a picture from the Mexicondo web site. I think 4112 is right behind the biggest beach Palapa (the beach umbrella with the thatched roof): http://mexicondo.com/rc2000i.JPG

Villa 4112 is the ground floor villa with only the top half of the windows showing. I'm not sure which side is the lock-off.

There are also other pictures of the Royal Islander at: www.mexicondo.com.

Last edited:

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own ground floor beach front at the Caribbean and let me tell you, security is far from an issue. As someone else mentioned really the only people you'lls ee walking around the front of your villa are the other beachfront folks in your building. Usually just going from their patio down the steps to the beach. Foot traffic off the beach isn't an issue because you can't get to the main part of the resort (easily) from the steps that lead up from the beach to th e BF buildings.

At night security walks the walls.

REP

Reaction score
Tom
We have been in 4711 - building on south side of complex - oceanfront main level - security was not an issue - we actually left sliding door open one night and the security guard stayed right by our unit the whole night - felt guilty and closed it from then on.

TomR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the information. While I am now convinced that security is not an issue, my travel partner is now convinced that she might like to invite some of her family to come along for the ride. That convinced me to make a re-trade for a 2 bedroom at the Royal Sands. The re-trade was very easy to do, and II was more than happy to take an additional exchange fee. I am positive, well almost positive, her family is worth it. :D
Tom

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sliding doors on first floor beach front villas automatically lock when you close them. Make sure someone is in the villa if you do that or don't close all the way.