• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ocean Pointe reservations

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and so glad that I found it! NOW, I really need some advice. I have called 13 months out, with no success to reserve spring break for my family. EVERY YEAR I have to wait for the 12 month reservation access and I am always frustrated with the system. What is it that I do not know?? I called this morning on the dot at 8am waited 22 minutes to get res. they said hello, and I was disconnected. called again waited 21 more minutes, only to find out weeks not available. I was then advised to simultaneously be on my computer and phone to access the res system. Im guessing that they want me to buy more weeks, properties, points, what ever to be able to have a higher status over the next vacationer. Obviously, I have NO STATUS. How are others getting in before us? I am clueless on how to get a reservation at my home resort where I own 2 villas or 4 weeks. I AM VENTING here because we have owned there since 2001. Im over it! Please help!! I need honest advice and Im tired of waisting my time. Thank you so much if you can enlighten me. Oh and by the way, I sent off an email to MVC to let them know the situation. Does anyone think I will actually get a response.

Last edited:

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and so glad that I found it! NOW, I really need some advice. I have called 13 months out, with no success to reserve spring break for my family. EVERY YEAR I have to wait for the 12 month reservation access and I am always frustrated with the system. What is it that I do not know?? I called this morning on the dot at 8am waited 22 minutes to get res. they said hello, and I was disconnected. called again waited 21 more minutes, only to find out weeks not available. I was then advised to simultaneously be on my computer and phone to access the res system. Im guessing that they want me to buy more weeks, properties, points, what ever to be able to have a higher status over the next vacationer. Obviously, I have NO STATUS. How are others getting in before us? I am clueless on how to get a reservation at my home resort where I own 2 villas or 4 weeks. I AM VENTING here because we have owned there since 2001. Im over it! Please help!! I need honest advice and Im tired of waisting my time. Thank you so much if you can enlighten me. Oh and by the way, I sent off an email to MVC to let them know the situation. Does anyone think I will actually get a response.
If someone can send me to the correct location or how to receive information I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Once you can't get anything at the 13 month mark, when 12 months arrive, try reserving it on line . It's much quicker with instant gratification if it works.

Unfortunately, if nothing is left, it may be that other multiple-week owners reserved a string of weeks ahead of you and nothing is left. It is snowbird season in Florida. Also a lot of DC owners may have reserved partial weeks which breaks up the string of days that you want.

Your best hope is to be on your computer at exactly 9 am Eastern time 12 months out provided you didn't get lucky on the phone at 13 months. Or reserve the best weeks you can get and trade or rent them to get what you want.

Doreen0521

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. Interesting that this post came on the forum at a time where I have been debating purchasing a 3 bedroom at Ocean Pointe. I dont own any timeshares and I was seriously considering purchasing a Marriott timeshare. I am back and forth between Ocean Pointe and Lakeshore reserve but leaning more towards Ocean Pointe.

Let me ask you, if you dont mind - Does this happen to you often? Are your weeks platinum weeks? I dont see the point of me purchasing a platinum week if I wont even be able to use it. Very confusing.

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
YES! EVERY YEAR. I just got a call from MVC, and they were sorry that I got disconnected during my call. IF you do not own SEVERAL weeks, I recommend that you reassess your options. We are L O W on the weeks pole at Marriott, it is such an effort to get the week give or take a few days, every year I call 13 months out as we own 2 units or 2 weeks with the lock out portion which is 4 weeks total in PLATINUM season at my HOME resort. Its is a BIG company and you will struggle unless you have 8 weeks or more at multiple resorts. Just a fact and eventually it works out somehow, but every time I show up at this resort for our early spring break, I end up thinking why does this have to be such a pain. I work in the travel industry and I realize that you need status to receive more benefits. Still wondering HOW many weeks I need to own so that when I call 13 months out at my home resort, Im able to reserve 1 week, 2 units, on the side or back of the building not with my preferences? Just sayin...... I hope you have better luck, because I am thinking the cost outweighs the benefits of my time, money and sanity.

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
Suzannesimon, I see that you have several resorts on your list. Just curious if you are affiliated with MV?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with Ocean Pointe for Feb/Mar/Spring Break is that so many snow birds and owners that rent for profit own 4+ weeks and when they book at 13 months they extend them out. This means that when it is time to book your desired reservation at 13 months, in theory it could already be gone long before the lines open up. These guys are allowed to book further out than you are. These two groups are fairly massive. There likely are some weeks left but not nearly as many as the demand.

Other weeks outside of this time are not nearly as difficult.

The more weeks you own the further out you can book due to the 13 month mark being based on the first day of the string of reservations.

Last edited:

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
Thank you for enlightening me. I see your point. Might as well accept the fact that it is a waste of time. Still, I would like to know what amount of weeks you would have to own to have the ability to reserve during that season? I only own 2 weeks, I am not a corporation. So really, 2 units, with lock out (technically 4 weeks) PLATINUM is nothing but left overs. What I should have done was traded them in, or rented out. Next time I will.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
4 units is probably enough but you still have to call right on the dot. My Uncle owned 2 units pre-development and then bought two on the resale market. He would start calling a few minutes before and keep going until it would receive the call. There was always a wait and sometimes he couldn't get the Saturday check-in that he wanted. He has a group of friends all in the same situation with 4+ weeks. They were all owner occupying. This is the first year he hasn't gone because his situation has changed.

Keep in mind that 50% of the inventory is for 13 weeks out and 50% is for 12 weeks out, but with multi-week consecutive reservations it still zaps the inventory. Ocean Pointe is big so there should still be weeks left but Presidents week, Spring Break/Easter are probably two of the highest demand times.

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
Thank you PropertyMan4,

Appreciate you sharing valuable insight.

Have a great day!

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Suzannesimon, I see that you have several resorts on your list. Just curious if you are affiliated with MV?

I don't know what MV is so I guess I'm not affiliated. Maybe you meant Marriott Vacation Club? I'm just a lowly timeshare owner like everyone else.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of reps as Marriott owners. I found it typical that every sales person would say they own all these DC points. Perhaps they get a nice discount on a purchase but I always assumed they were lying. I hate to be that way but I never believed they could afford the points at full freight that they claimed they owned.

mclyne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel your frustration. We had the same problem getting dates in Aruba Ocean Club. We bought another week, hoping we could book 13 months out. Well, that did not work. We had to book 12 months out and then we still did not get what we wanted. I have been told there are owners who own as many as 10+ weeks and are able to book months in advance.

I have suggested that Marriott seriously look into the situation to limit those who rent out their units, leaving weeks owners with their leftovers. We use our units and very rarely rent them out.

I had been told multiple owners can do as they wish with their weeks.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel your frustration. We had the same problem getting dates in Aruba Ocean Club. We bought another week, hoping we could book 13 months out. Well, that did not work. We had to book 12 months out and then we still did not get what we wanted. I have been told there are owners who own as many as 10+ weeks and are able to book months in advance.

I have suggested that Marriott seriously look into the situation to limit those who rent out their units, leaving weeks owners with their leftovers. We use our units and very rarely rent them out.

I had been told multiple owners can do as they wish with their weeks.

Marriott actually has the right to restrict business use. It's in the language. I don't think they have ever acted on it though.

ladyflyer58

Reaction score
so perhaps for the owners having 4 weeks or less should ban together. I would like to know what the spread is over the entire allotment of resorts and owners that there are. Certainly it can make a point of letting MC know that there is some unfairness and dissatisfaction. There has to be more of us then you think. Small potatoes often fall to the bottom of the bag, however, there are usually more of them. Just wondering about the rest of the owner population and the distribution.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So what day/week (spring break means different times for different people) were you trying to reserve and what day did you call in?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott will never alienate owners that owner occupy a load of weeks. Someone that owns 8 units and will owner occupy should be given priority. Why should they be forced into a situation where they have a bunch of skipped weeks?

The rentals are a different story but one that is not so easy to restrict. They do have a right to restrict business use in the wording but it can get sticky trying to restrict owner rights. It's also too vague. I don't think they would ever do anything unless someone had a big timeshare rental company, but even then...

If Marriott did change the rules to not being able to book ahead by stringing multiple weeks I am not so sure it would make it much better. The primary issue is supply vs demand. You have a 4 month Platinum window where everyone is usually trying to book at least something in Feb/Mar but many times even more specific than that. This is what happens with floating weeks.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's why I love my fixed week resorts, and especially my Hyatt which is also a fixed unit - no drama.

I think a lot of the Aruba problem is more about snowbirds in the winter. I saw a post from a woman on Facebook telling everyone that she was at either Surf or Ocean Club (can't remember which one) from now until April if anyone else is going to be there. Do you really think Marriott will change the rules and alienate those people?

I bought my MFC holiday weeks to use, but the salesman's main pitch was that the weeks would turn out to be more valuable as rentals. MFC is private property deeded ownership with 51 other possible owners per unit. It's going to be hard to change the rules after the fact anymore than your local jurisdiction telling you that you can't rent your home if you move out. Rentals possibly reduce the number of foreclosures if an owner can't afford the timeshare anymore. They can still rent it out to cover their maintenance.

If too many people start renting their weeks, it will bring the price down and they will either sell, use or trade them again.

I think their rules on "Commercial" usage is purposely vague - maybe they just don't want us renting the units by the hour, or as a spa, or as an office, or for day use for cruise passengers.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Speaking of reps as Marriott owners. I found it typical that every sales person would say they own all these DC points. Perhaps they get a nice discount on a purchase but I always assumed they were lying. I hate to be that way but I never believed they could afford the points at full freight that they claimed they owned.

The normal MVCI employee discount on the purchase of weeks was always 25%. I assume it is probably the same with purchases of DC points.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
so perhaps for the owners having 4 weeks or less should ban together. I would like to know what the spread is over the entire allotment of resorts and owners that there are. Certainly it can make a point of letting MC know that there is some unfairness and dissatisfaction. There has to be more of us then you think. Small potatoes often fall to the bottom of the bag, however, there are usually more of them. Just wondering about the rest of the owner population and the distribution.

I think it is absolutely appropriate that owners with more weeks get some advantages. And if those advantages were taken away there would be a lot of dissatisfaction among that group. I have no problem with the fairness of the current system.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The problem with Ocean Pointe for Feb/Mar/Spring Break is that so many snow birds and owners that rent for profit own 4+ weeks and when they book at 13 months they extend them out. This means that when it is time to book your desired reservation at 13 months, in theory it could already be gone long before the lines open up. These guys are allowed to book further out than you are. These two groups are fairly massive. There likely are some weeks left but not nearly as many as the demand.

Other weeks outside of this time are not nearly as difficult.

The more weeks you own the further out you can book due to the 13 month mark being based on the first day of the string of reservations.

This is also true for the Lahaina/Napili Villas at Maui Ocean Club. Summer is also high demand, but does not pose the same problem at 13 months because many more multiple week owners want to spend a good part of the winter there.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening

the problem isn't the rules, it's that nobody told the OP that she would be behind all of the multi week owners with more than 3 weeks...

this probably came at a huge surprise

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening

the problem isn't the rules, it's that nobody told the OP that she would be behind all of the multi week owners with more than 3 weeks...

this probably came at a huge surprise

Thank you! I scrolled thru, hoping that someone (you!) would speak up and say that there are TIERS of membership - and not all are needed by all owners. Some of us are quite fine with what we have, thank you, and are flexible to manage it as we do, plan ahead, and deal with available versus unavailable. Other people - who have spent a PILE of money, or made other deals ( like pre-conversion property purchases, or own fixed weeks, etc.) should get whatever discounts deals, early booking, etc. that came with THEIR rules. The crazy-making thing is - there are ALL KINDS of categories of owners, and therefore, all kinds of rules and deadlines. Sorting out what is THE RULES for each person is hard enough - then sorting out their own preferences and opinions, is something else. And of course, the salespeople thrive on this confusion, telling us all the "You need points! Without those Magic Extra Points - you are just a nobody around here!" They must actually manage to hornswoggle enough innocents into buying more points, since that is how those salespeople get paid - whether or not those magic points are really the BEST thing for that owner to get! Tis isi whty TUG is so valuable - it helps poeple here - especailly newbies - learn what is fact what is fiction - and then we give our personal, long-term-owner advice. If the OP does not own enough properties or points to ALLOW snagging trade at 13 months - that is that - period. If they Do own enough - ad just cannot get s acertian place because of crazy high demand - well, the folks who bought 4 weeks when the place was being built, and paid all those years of fees - THEY are the ones who should be first in line. Are there ways to game thy system? Maybe - sorta - kinda. Otherwise, we juat all help people learn to maximize thier holdings avoid duplicitous marketing, and actually LOOK FORWARD to planning a vacation!

Please forgive any uncorrected typos - severed rotator cuff surgery last week, and typing with one hand, then correcting things, is tedious, and full or errors.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=ladyflyer58;1725445]I am new to this forum and so glad that I found it! NOW, I really need some advice. I have called 13 months out, with no success to reserve spring break for my family. EVERY YEAR I have to wait for the 12 month reservation access and I am always frustrated with the system. What is it that I do not know?? I called this morning on the dot at 8am waited 22 minutes to get res. they said hello, and I was disconnected. called again waited 21 more minutes, only to find out weeks not available. I was then advised to simultaneously be on my computer and phone to access the res system. Im guessing that they want me to buy more weeks, properties, points, what ever to be able to have a higher status over the next vacationer. Obviously, I have NO STATUS. How are others getting in before us? I am clueless on how to get a reservation at my home resort where I own 2 villas or 4 weeks. I AM VENTING here because we have owned there since 2001. Im over it! Please help!! I need honest advice and Im tired of waisting my time. Thank you so much if you can enlighten me. Oh and by the way, I sent off an email to MVC to let them know the situation. Does anyone think I will actually get a response.[/QUOTE]

No one has addressed this but I am wondering what day of the week you call. I believe that OCean Point offers Thurs- Sun check-in dates. If that is the case, then you should call on the Thurs of week 1 year out. I concur that online us the way to go. I am all set up by 8:55 AM, do a test run to make sure site works and flick on exchange request promptly at 9 AM. This is how I manage my Canyon Villas Platinum single week.