• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SF airport to Wyndham Canterbury

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
We'll be arriving at SF airport about 10 pm...is a taxi the best way to get to
the Wyndham Canterbury at that hour ? Can anyone tell me what that will cost....or if there's a better way ? We'll have a fair amount of luggage so don't want to walk too far....
Many thanks!
Deb

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Personally I would use a cab, or a car service. Those are not the cheapest options, I'm sure you will have suggestions to use BART, but that will require some walking once you get into San Francisco. Sorry, but I don't know how much a cab would cost.

The car service we used all the time when we lived in the San Francisco area and would highly recommend is Ambassador. Their number is 925-456-6660.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have stayed there twice. There is a BART Station right IN the airport. We took BART to Market Street, and then walked several blocks with our rolling suitcases.

But at 10 pm, with a lot of luggage, I'd take a cab from the BART station on Market.

There are also airport shuttles that you can pre-reserve - a cab will be pricey.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
BART is great, and as long as you can climb a bit of a hill with luggage, it's not a long walk. I say this, but I couldn't do it with my hip right now, which is being replaced on 6/15 (hip dysplasia). I am looking forward to climbing that hill next May.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all ! I'll call Ambassador & check price, then weigh my options. This is very helpful...last time we flew into SF we were heading to Sonoma and rented a car, so I wasn't sure what my transportation options were.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In the SF Bay Area - Uber or Lyft is the way to go - very easy. Get the App for either one on your cell phone.
As a 1st time user - you will get a good discount.
And - unlike a Taxi - you will not feel as though you need a bath after taking one.
Also, will cost about 1/2 of a Taxi.

I would estimate around $15-20 and about 20 mins at that time of night.

(ps. don't let typical fear-mongering by the Media deter you from Uber/Lyft - they are a great way to get around)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't believe the are visiting Sonoma this trip:
last time we flew into SF we were heading to Sonoma

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taxi costed me $40 from sfx to Wyndham Canterbury a few years ago at night

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would agree that you should use a car service or a taxi from the Airport.

BART is not a good idea, because you would have to walk through an area called "the Tenderloin" to get from BART to the timeshare (in daylight hours the timeshare will tell you how to go to avoid this area, which isn't quite as bad in daylight anyway). The Tenderloin is an area with (some) people who are into drugs and some very friendly women who will talk to people in cars, and men who the girls belong to.

As for taking BART to Market Street and then taking taxi, I don't like that idea, either. You won't find a taxi just hanging around, you'll have to wait for one to pass by that isn't busy. Could be awhile, and I don't think you want to hang around with a bunch of suitcases and wait.

Fern,
whose mama always said "self preservation is the highest order of man."

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with Fern. I wouldn't want to be carrying a bunch of luggage anywhere let alone waiting on a street corner at night hoping a vacant taxi will happen along.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all....since it will be dark and we'll have a fair amount of luggage, I'm leaning toward something that will deposit us at the front door of the Canterbury! (Plus we don't know SF at all....I could see us wandering around lost...:eek: )

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Seriously - Uber… I am from around here - unlike those who just visit. Just order an UberXL car after you pick-up luggage - plenty of luggage space - they will pick you up at SFO (within 3 mins of ordering) and take you to hotel - just like a taxi (but w/o the slime and expense)

There is a reason Uber/Lyft are popular in the SF area (because Taxi's suck and are too expensive). If you want to get around while in SF - Uber.

For example - 4 of us took an UberX from City Hall to the Mark Hopkins hotel (Nob Hill) - $4.50 Total!!!
Taxi's charge $3.25 just to get in. Muni is $2pp.

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously - Uber… I am from around here - unlike those who just visit. Just order an UberXL car after you pick-up luggage - plenty of luggage space - they will pick you up at SFO (within 3 mins of ordering) and take you to hotel - just like a taxi (but w/o the slime and expense)

There is a reason Uber/Lyft are popular in the SF area (because Taxi's suck and are too expensive). If you want to get around while in SF - Uber.

For example - 4 of us took an UberX from City Hall to the Mark Hopkins hotel (Nob Hill) - $4.50 Total!!!

I've heard of Uber but we don't have it where I live......how does it work? How do you order a car?
Thanks!
Deb

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I've heard of Uber but we don't have it where I live......how does it work? How do you order a car?
Thanks!
Deb

You will need a Smart phone - download Uber (and/or Lyft) App - sign-up.
I tend to use Uber, but know others using Lyft.
If you do not have a SmartPhone - then you will not be able to use.

When downloaded - try entering SFO as a pick-up point, and the Wyndham Canterbury in SF as designation, and you will see Uber cars in wait and route. After ordering, you can see them arrive on a map on your phone (and their name, photo, car-type, and license plate#), and they will also call when they arrive or close.

btw - they also offer large vehicles (e.g. Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator) - at a higher cost.
We use these when we have 5 or more people.

If you do not choose to use - no worries - it doesn't cost to sign-up.
I connect mine to PayPal, but a CC can also be used.

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need a Smart phone - download Uber (and/or Lyft) App - sign-up.
I tend to use Uber, but know others using Lyft.
If you do not have a SmartPhone - then you will not be able to use.

When downloaded - try entering SFO as a pick-up point, and the Wyndham Canterbury in SF as designation, and you will see Uber cars in wait and route. After ordering, you can see them arrive on a map on your phone (and their name, photo, car-type, and license plate#), and they will also call when they arrive or close.

btw - they also offer large vehicles (e.g. Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator) - at a higher cost.
We use these when we have 5 or more people.

If you do not choose to use - no worries - it doesn't cost to sign-up.
I connect mine to PayPal, but a CC can also be used.

Thanks! I do have a smart phone so we'll give it a try!

valadezm

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am also from SF, i second DavidnRobin suggestions, use UBER or Lyft. Also once you download the UBER app, if you PM me I can email you a discount code to the email or phone number you used to sign up. The code is worth up to $20 dollars

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also from SF, i second DavidnRobin suggestions, use UBER or Lyft. Also once you download the UBER app, if you PM me I can email you a discount code to the email or phone number you used to sign up. The code is worth up to $20 dollars

Many thanks!
Deb

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all....since it will be dark and we'll have a fair amount of luggage, I'm leaning toward something that will deposit us at the front door of the Canterbury! (Plus we don't know SF at all....I could see us wandering around lost...:eek: )

Another vote for Uber but why will you have fair amount of luggage? You do not need much in SF and if you desire foodstuffs, nothing beats the Ferry Terminal Market

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Another vote for Uber but why will you have fair amount of luggage? You do not need much in SF and if you desire foodstuffs, nothing beats the Ferry Terminal Market

Some people just travel heavier than others, or feel like even a couple of largish suitcases aee more luggage than they want to haul around. :D

Also the weather in San Francisco can be tricky (used to live in the area) and if you're not sure what it will be while you're there it's easy to over pack.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm happy to say that we will have a fair amount of luggage because we're stopping in SF for 3 days, then heading on to 2weeks in Hawaii!!!

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people just travel heavier than others, or feel like even a couple of largish suitcases aee more luggage than they want to haul around. :D

Also the weather in San Francisco can be tricky (used to live in the area) and if you're not sure what it will be while you're there it's easy to over pack.

Yes, I'm trying to pack for Both Hawaii and SF (see my post above) After SF we fly on to Kona...first time on the Big Island!:whoopie:

valadezm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm trying to pack for Both Hawaii and SF (see my post above) After SF we fly on to Kona...first time on the Big Island!:whoopie:

You will enjoy the Big Island. Went there for the first time last year and it turned out be my favorite island.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Honestly, you don't need very many clothes for Hawaii - won't you have a washer/dryer?

Take your Hawaii wardrobe, and add a pair of jeans and a hoodie for San Francisco, and you are good to go.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I agree with others here - pack less than you think you need. You need very little for HI - esp w/ W/D.
We can exist on <50# each (check-in luggage) - and that includes bringing our own snorkel/fins and beach gear.

As to SF weather - having grown up on the west-side of SF - no matter when you come - dress in layers. Summer can have the harshest weather (especially for the ill-prepared). Yes, I know… we are weather sissies (60F is cold…) - and proud of it. Especially when I see the weather in the other 48 states (CA and HI excluded…). Rather take my chance with EQs.