• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy one bedroom or two?

blwgardenia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 1 bedroom deluxe (Forest Hills plan) or a 2 bedroom (Wimbledon plan) resale week Red/Platinum/high season week at the Palm Springs Tennis Club. Is it better to spend the extra (double) and get the 2 bedroom unit (not a lockout, just a basic 2nd bedroom with twin beds) or to get the one bedroom? I have never owned a timeshare before and don't know which is easier to trade or possible resell later. I have a son-age 21 and a daughter-age 19. I could see the 2nd bedroom with twin beds could be helpful at times if I have anyone with me. Both units have a sofa bed in the living room as well as a King bed in the main bedroom. I am a 53 year old divorced woman and primarily see myself traveling alone, with a friend or with kid(s). Does one type unit trade better than another? Thanks for your help!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually the answer is going to be get the 2BR. In my opinion the primary factor is the annual fee variance. Double the price up front isn't a big deal, but if the annual fee is double then the 1BR is probably the way to go since that is what you will usually need. Usually it's not double. I even own at a place that has the same fee for all units. 1BR, 2BR, 2BR lo, and 3BR all with the same annual fee. In that scenario the 1BR is worthless to own. Many places may not have it as flat but they also don't have it proportionate to size. There are some places that do have it exactly proportionate, and then it's based on your needs.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this resort is your "STAY AT" place .. figure out if the different in MFs or the initial price to buy -- makes a big difference over 10 years or to unload the unit in 5-10 years. How many 2/2 at the resort; how many 1/1? And looking on Redweek site, there are 1/1 and 1/1.5 for sale; no 2/2 for sale. And kids were mentioned in most reviews ... like as a GREAT place for kids.

And does this resort trade (exchange thru II or RCI? II requires a 2/2 for get a 2/2 but you will see the 1/1 units. You won't see any 2/2 units if you are trading from a 1/1 unit. RCI Will give you MORE TPUs (generally) for a 2/2 unit.... but look at the difference in MFs over 5 and 10 years?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
2 bedroom- you won't regret it. We are 59 and 60 with a 27 year old son who visits. Plus- sometimes he has a girlfriend or other friends - or we have friends/family. The unit will have more square footage. It will have better trading power. We wish we had bought a 3 bedroom!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If they have two bedroom lockouts, I would recommend that -- for flexibility.

We own a two bedroom non-lockout (Waiohai) and it feels funny to use it for just the two of us, especially when we know that we could have used the lockout side for another vacation.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I lockoffs are available at either of the resorts you are interested in. I would wait for one of those to show up.

If not and the there isn't much a MF fee difference, I would go with the 2.

Heck, even though we only need a 1BR when we exchange something, I always take a 2BR if available just to have the extra bathroom and towels for the week we are there. (assuming the 2BR also has 2 baths)

blwgardenia

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a resale during prime season, but I forgot to mention the maintenance fees are $738 per year for all the one bedroom units and $839 per year for the two bedroom. So that seems negligible. The main difference is the upfront cost. There are no lockouts at this resort, which would be better. Just a second fairly small bedroom with twin beds and a second bathroom. This complex has a total of 126 units (19 studios, 35 one bedroom with one bath, 16 one bedroom deluxe with one bath and a full kitchen, 36 one bedroom with two baths and a full kitchen, and 20 two bedroom with two baths and a full kitchen. Half the units are located in the main building and the other health are in the casitas/bungalows which I prefer. The reason I have ruled out the 1 bedroom with 2 baths is that they are all in the main building. Any further thoughts?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you travel to "Palm Springs" annually ?

Again I posted a Resales isting for a high Season 1 Bedroom that closed ALL IN for ss than $ 300 all, in. Tell me your looking at resale or at least detail what your being promissed with a developer purchase.

I do believe we rented unit there (studio ?) around our tenth anniversary > 21 years ago while it was being coverted, to me typical 1950' Palm Springs Motel with more amenities based on the large pool and tennis faciliities

Last edited:

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
This complex has a total of 126 units (19 studios, 35 one bedroom with one bath, 16 one bedroom deluxe with one bath and a full kitchen, 36 one bedroom with two baths and a full kitchen, and 20 two bedroom with two baths and a full kitchen. Half the units are located in the main building and the other health are in the casitas/bungalows which I prefer. The reason I have ruled out the 1 bedroom with 2 baths is that they are all in the main building. Any further thoughts?

When we travel, about 50% of the time we don't need a second bedroom, but the second bathroom that usually comes with a two bedroom unit is a must have....

It's just so easier getting ready to go out, etc. when there are two bathrooms. Also, it seems like the living areas are generally larger with two bedroom units. Sometimes, I feel funny when I check in and say that there are only two of us traveling and I check us into a three bedroom unit. I really don't care because I love the extra space...

With $100 difference in MF between 1 and 2 bedroom, I'd personally wait for a 2-bedroom for trading power, comfort, and just overall better value.

memereDoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we timeshare, we get a 2 BR about 90% of the time. We have had friends & family join us when they find out we have an extra room. Even if the other room stays empty, for the difference in maintenance fees is not worth settling for smaller accommodations.

When we rent (the other 10% of the time), we get smaller units because the cost is usually quite a bit for the bigger units.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
get the 2BR. You can invite a friend and you can each have personal space. Your 2 kids can come and share the 2nd BR. A kid can come and bring a friend and share the 2nd BR. A 2BR will trade much better than a 1BR.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Go for the 2BR

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions to get the 2BR. We own 2 separate 2BR sleeps 8 units at a small resort in NH...and we have never been sorry for the extra space. When we bought, we had ONE child. Now we have FOUR. ;) They trade better than a smaller unit would, and we look forward to visiting with grandchildren there one day. The difference in MF is negligible. Do your research, and good luck with your decision!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would get the 2BR hands down. For less than 14% higher annual fees you are getting an extra bedroom and bathroom.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I agree with the 2br advice. Better trades, more overall room, and for only $100 extra per year it seems like a no brainer to me.