• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Property Donation Group (PDG)

josh3955

Reaction score
I currently have my timeshare listed here under the bargain deals area. In the meantime I am looking at all my options including donation. With the economy the way it is, most charities are not accepting timeshares. I am pretty confident that Donate for a Cause is legit, it's also $1895 to take the timeshare out of my name plus some fees from the resort. The other donation outfit that I have found is Property Donation Group. Has anyone actually worked with Property Donation Group? They want $899 to do the job. I have been searching and searching and I can not find any instance where someone has said they were scammed by these folks. One of the other online sites has a lot of conjecture, but no proof or examples of a single person getting the shaft. On the flip side I can't find anything that says it actually worked as advertised either. In the absence of independent confirmation, I have some reservations with forking over a little more than a single maintenance/tax fee and a POA.

I am open to any suggestions at this point. The MF will be due in January, so I'd like to get it done now while that is still 7 months away.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently have my timeshare listed here under the bargain deals area. In the meantime I am looking at all my options including donation. With the economy the way it is, most charities are not accepting timeshares. I am pretty confident that Donate for a Cause is legit, it's also $1895 to take the timeshare out of my name plus some fees from the resort. The other donation outfit that I have found is Property Donation Group. Has anyone actually worked with Property Donation Group? They want $899 to do the job. I have been searching and searching and I can not find any instance where someone has said they were scammed by these folks. One of the other online sites has a lot of conjecture, but no proof or examples of a single person getting the shaft. On the flip side I can't find anything that says it actually worked as advertised either. In the absence of independent confirmation, I have some reservations with forking over a little more than a single maintenance/tax fee and a POA.

I am open to any suggestions at this point. The MF will be due in January, so I'd like to get it done now while that is still 7 months away.

PDG costs $899 to possibly transfer the TS out of your name...OR....You offer you TS up in the Bargin Deals, including the $899

Think about it this way...IF you put it up in the bargin deals for 2 months for the same amount you would have paid PDG and someone takes it...atleast it goes to someone who will enjoy it...IF no one takes it AND the $899, atleast you tried

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The risk with these unknown "donation" companies is that you have no way of knowing if they will really take the deed out of your name. You can sign all the transfer Docs, but if they don't complete the transfer with the county and resort, THEY have your money, and YOU still own a timeshare and all the obligations.

If you give it away yourself, you are in control of the transfer, and you can make sure it is legally transferred to someone who wants it.

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
offered my ts for months, any other suggestions?

Denise, You gave me advice on giving away my two ts, which I followed - offered them in classifieds for $1, all expenses paid by me, and in Bargain Deals forum. One of my TS is finally legally out of my hands - buyer came through the classified ad, and even offered to split costs with me (accepted!). Thanks for the good advice! My first 'buyer' however turned out to be a TS reseller in the area of the resort (Massanutten), and after using my booked 2010 holiday week, stopped communicating with me, and our deal never went through.

I have had my other TS, a fixed points week at Eastern Slope Inn, NH, up for grabs in the same two places on TUG, and though there have been inquiries, no one is interested. One couple really wanted it for the points membership, so they could convert their TS Mexico to points, and with all the RCI changes, were told many different things by each person they talked to, they did not think it would work for them. They even lived in the area and really like the resort and would have actually used my week!

Any other suggestions? I've already offered it to the resort, mailed a letter to the head guy, he said no. Am I stuck for life with a TS week I can never use? It just seems wrong!

I own the TS (no mortgage) and my MF are paid up. I'm trying to avoid re-upping my RCI points membership, but have offered to transfer that also to new owner, at my expense.

Open to any suggestions!

Christine

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Christine - I'm sorry that happened to you but you shouldn't just let it go. Tell him that you want him to either pay for the week he used or take possession, and that if he doesn't, you are going to file charges against him.

Please post the company name and send him a link! ;)

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Christine - I'm sorry that happened to you but you shouldn't just let it go. Tell him that you want him to either pay for the week he used or take possession, and that if he doesn't, you are going to file charges against him.

If he is a reseller in the area where the resort is located, he almost certainly has a real estate broker's license. I would send him word that having used your week, he can either reimburse your m/f for that week or complete the deal by a set date, or she will report the matter to the real estate commission in Virginia. He is likely to value his real estate license enough not to want such complaints.

It also might be good to write him up on Shark Alley at www.timesharetalk.co.uk . Even though that is a European site, someone searching the internet for his company name would likely find your writeup of him there. It would be a nice addition if the US based TS sites added a similar forum.

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score

I like both these ideas!;) However, I did successfully transfer that TS to someone else, and our deal is done. And, while trying to locate that first buyer after he stopped communicating (tried to find his new resale company) I reached another company with a similar name where he had been an employee, and the boss called me back. He knew the guy, who was a wheeler-dealer, and recently jobless with kids in college. I figured it was a lost cause.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, any suggestions for my other TS?

If your really considering spending $899 to get rid of your TS, i'd suggest you offer it to other TUG users first with that $899...IF you can't get rid of it that way...DON'T PAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CAN VERIFY THAT THE TS IS OUT OF YOUR NAME

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your really considering spending $899 to get rid of your TS, i'd suggest you offer it to other TUG users first with that $899...IF you can't get rid of it that way...DON'T PAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CAN VERIFY THAT THE TS IS OUT OF YOUR NAME

I was not considering this, it was someone else. But it makes sense, if you are thinking of getting out that way.

I was talking to Florida Veterans Assistance Association for a while last year, and they did give me names and contact info for people who had sucessfully completed their donation through Florida Veterans. I talked or emailed with 2 or 3 actual satisfied customers. But still, the idea of paying $899 in fees did not appeal.

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
How to pursue?

I have been thinking about your suggestion, and looked up my records. We actually signed a Timeshare Purchase Agreement in October 2010 in which he promised to pay the MF for 2011 (he didn't), and that usage of week 52 in 2010 was part of the transfer of ownership agreement.

So how would I press charges? Or how would I find out if he has a real estate license? It would be nice to get those MF back.

When he first contacted me (October 2010), he said he worked for NTHC, National Timeshare Help Center in McGaheysville VA, and wanted the TS for access to resort amenities for his family (said he'd been a resort employee for 7 years). Then, in November, he said he'd left NTHC to join a new company that industry friends were starting, Massanutten Solutions, aimed at providing exit strategies for TS owners. Then in January 2011, he said that Massanutten lawyers had come down hard on the new company, and they changed their name to Timeshare Recyclers. I don't think either company exists now, and a guy from Time Share Solutions, L.L.C., also in McGayesville, told me my buyer had been a former employee of that company as well. BTW, that guy was very interested in my TS and was willing to take care of my Exit at no cost to me, in less than 30 days. By then I had a new buyer who was and is legit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NTHC belongs to TUG and they are long-term members with a good reputation. I'd send a private message to TUG user name NTHC and see if they have any info. on this guy. They will know if he is licensed.

fvarep

Reaction score
Fighting Back - Provide Good Service - Legitiment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been with the FVA Asst. Assn. for 8 years - I take pride in my job. Regardless of these comments because of one company for 250 timeshares 3-4 years ago, or the fact that Joel's middle name is Martin, we still often get the same negativity, however, public perceives different - I get people who understand the situation open mindedly- with business nothing is perfect, and those contact me. I am personally tired of the attacks on our Charity, we are a Charity since 1996 - We have transferred approximately 20,000 timeshares, and out of that, had a company return 250 to us. We did our best at handling the situation as we could. I have had return clients from that mess. I personally think timeshares are nothing but a rip off - people need to be posting about the companies that rip the public off everyday for money and never talk to them again in hopes their timeshare is sold. Giving timeshare companies money to rip you off to get nothing - we, although, some not as smooth as others, have gotten far more many people out than not, and have satisfied problems by either refunding or placing with other companies. I don't know of any thing that runs perfect in any situation - problems occur in everyday business and life. The FVA has never walked away from any problem on timeshares. We complete transfers and there are MANY satisfied donors out there. Unfortunately, little negativity goes along way, people are SO skeptical by being ripped off by listing companies, they want to ruin our standing as a long time Charity who does a good service. As a 501 C-3 Charity, registered by State of Florida, and regulated by the IRS, we are required to uphold a responsibility to the public and the Veterans. As a Registered Charity, we must participate in program services, which is what funding goes to. A recent article says we give Vets 18% of funding - we charge a fee, split in half for service of transfer, and other half to funding Vets, we could bring our percentage up to a higher percentage by charging the public more. If we were not participating in State requirements, we would not be a Charity still to this day, 15 years later.

We are in no-way a SCAM, we are a legitiment charity raising funding to, first and foremost fund veterans, and our office to continue to run and
provide an awesome service in my and many's opinion. I apologize to any one that has had a bad experience, however, it has never been our intent to take advantage of anyone, again, nothing in life is perfect, and we, at the end of the day, satisfy. If you go to the BBB, you will see we have had 9 complaints, all of which are satisfied.

We are under NO investigation by the Agricultural & Consumer Affairs Department - Please feel free to call - we did as an article states we are under investigation, we are not! It's unfortunate that a "DO GOOD" Charity has to experience slander for all the good we've done.

The negativity in the tug posts are same people over and over debating if we are legitiment since 2006, 2007, 2008. Show me a perfect operation - with no problems - love to see it - I challenge it.

I can only tell any interested donors who feed into this - we are legitiment and will provide a good service, we will not accept something we cannot transfer. I'm not sure what everyone is missing - REGULATED AND REGISTERED - THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WILL NOT ALLOW US TO RIP PEOPLE OFF AND CONTINUE TO HOLD A LICENSE! I have been with the FVA Asst. Assn. for 8 years - I take pride in my job. Regardless of these comments because of one company for 250 timeshares 3-4 years ago, or the fact that Joel's middle name is Martin, we still often get the same negativity, however, public perceives different - I get people who understand the situation openmindedly- with business nothing is perfect, and those contact me to donate. I am personally tired of the attacks on our Charity, we are a Charity since 1996 - We have transferred approximately 20,000 timeshares, and out of that, had a company return 250 to us. We did our best at handling the situation as we could. I have had return clients from that mess. I personally think timeshares are nothing but a rip off - people need to be posting about the companies that rip the public off everyday for money and never talk to them again in hopes their timeshare is sold. Giving timeshare companies money to rip you off to get nothing - we, although, some not as smooth as others, have gotten far more many people out than not, and have satisfied problems by either refunding or placing with other companies. I don't know of any thing that runs perfect in any situation - problems occur in everyday business and life. The FVA has never walked away from any problem on timeshares. We complete transfers and there are MANY satisfied donors out there. Unfortunately, little negativity goes along way, people are so skeptical by being ripped off by listing companies, they want to ruin our standing as a long time Charity who does a good service. As a 501 C-3 Charity, registered by State of Florida, and regulated by the IRS, we are required to uphold a responsibility to the public and the Veterans. As a Registered Charity, we must participate in program services, which is what funding goes to. A recent article says we give Vets 18% of funding - we charge a fee, split in half for service of transfer, and other half to funding Vets, we could bring our percentage up to a higher percentage by charging the public more, as we make nothing on these impossible to get rid of timeshares. If we were not participating in State's requirements, we would not be a Charity still to this day, 15 years later.

We are in no-way a SCAM, we are a legitiment charity raising funding to, first and foremost fund veterans, and our office to continue to run and
provide an awesome service in my and many's opinion. I apologize to any one that has had a bad experience, however, it has never been our intent to take advantage of anyone, again, nothing in life is perfect. If you go to the BBB, you will see we have had 9 complaints, all of which are satisfied.

We are under NO investigation by the Agricultural & Consumer Affairs Department - Please feel free to call - we did, as a recent article stated we were under investigation, and, again, we are not! It's unfortunate that a "DO GOOD" Charity has to experience slander for all the good we've done.

I can only tell interested donors to research - do your homework - don't get ripped off. The FVA is a legitiment charity and will uphold our committment to the public, even when put in a bad situation, however, we are much more careful about the companies we work with.

These posts don't tell the good service we've provided - only mad people who took their past frustrations out on us.

To address the newest "slander", this ridiculous article about Joel Markman and his name - we provided information that his name is Joel Martin Markman - he was a Sargent - ABC decided to leave the middle name part out of their story. We have written to them - and this subject has no bearing on the service we do. I believe in our service and I will continue to fight against "slander" against us. We will be happy to address any concerns or questions, and can provide proof of adequate funding and many REAL testimonials.

Those of you who choose to fall into this slight negativity, and not relieve yourself of your timeshare – good luck in your endeavors! We have done nothing wrong.....other than to provide thousands of people relief of their timeshare and provide our Hero's funding.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am working with Donate for a Cause as a buyer. And as a buyer I have no problems with these folks. the property was transferred to me with no issues.

However If I was paying them to take my timeshare I would be concerned, heres why:

I bought the timeshare on ebay April 20, 2011 and when I got my deed its was clear the last owner was someone called Project Philanthropy Inc, presumably the charity set up by Donate for a Cause. so it looks like the charity did take it out the donors name.

Dig a little deeper however and you see that this transfer from the donor to the charity didnt take place until May 12 2011..22 days after I contracted to buy it

So if my experience is typical this group doesn't actually take a property out of the donors name until they have a buyer (in this case me) and of course the donor is responsible for all the fees until that transfer takes place

The question is: what would have happened if I hadnt come along? what happens to the timeshares that donate for a cause cant sell? do they stay in the donors name and is the donor still responsible for the fees, even after they have paid to get rid of the thing? I would want this question answered before I pay them anything

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It can't be said better than that Ron!!

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am working with Donate for a Cause as a buyer. And as a buyer I have no problems with these folks. the property was transferred to me with no issues.

However If I was paying them to take my timeshare I would be concerned, heres why:

I bought the timeshare on ebay April 20, 2011 and when I got my deed its was clear the last owner was someone called Project Philanthropy Inc, presumably the charity set up by Donate for a Cause. so it looks like the charity did take it out the donors name.

Dig a little deeper however and you see that this transfer from the donor to the charity didnt take place until May 12 2011..22 days after I contracted to buy it

So if my experience is typical this group doesn't actually take a property out of the donors name until they have a buyer (in this case me) and of course the donor is responsible for all the fees until that transfer takes place

The question is: what would have happened if I hadnt come along? what happens to the timeshares that donate for a cause cant sell? do they stay in the donors name and is the donor still responsible for the fees, even after they have paid to get rid of the thing? I would want this question answered before I pay them anything

Ron I agree wholehartedly with what you say ... but ... I want to say that we here on TUG who buy from PCC's walk a fine line.

We are gaining (cheap TS's) from their activities and have to be specific with our "critiques" ... like you were here.

If we just blanket complain about their existence it's too much like john's complaining about the existence of hookers :p

I think if they are going to take $$ they should take them out of the previous owners name asap - not wait like many seem to do.

I think a sharks alley list here would be great (if it didn't get misused).:wall:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron I agree wholehartedly with what you say ... but ... I want to say that we here on TUG who buy from PCC's walk a fine line.

We are gaining (cheap TS's) from their activities and have to be specific with our "critiques" ... like you were here.

If we just blanket complain about their existence it's too much like john's complaining about the existence of hookers :p

I think if they are going to take $$ they should take them out of the previous owners name asap - not wait like many seem to do.

I think a sharks alley list here would be great (if it didn't get misused).:wall:

Rick

Thanks for noticing my specificity. I dont complain about these companies though. And more than once I have been tempted to write a post arguing with those that say an upfront fees or a cold call is the first sign of a scam. Cold calling is a time honored tradition among salesmen... I have made my living in sales (honorably I think) for the best part of the last 50 years.(in 1960 I was selling home delivery of the Washington Post door to door. And for a while I made a little extra money selling the mary jane I didnt use myself. (just like I now rent the timeshares i dont use) Im a former stock broker and now a real estate agent and although I almost always wait until a deal closes for my commission, there have been cases (usually with very low priced properties) where I have asked that my fees be paid in advance. And cold calling is the best way I have found to build a new client base quickly.

Actually I somewhat envy the pcc business plan. They are able to do what my grandmother said was impossible, ie make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

And I firmly believe that they are saving a lot of property owners associations a lot of money by facilitating the transfer of timeshares from those that cant or just wont pay their fees, to those that will; and they do it without the need for costly foreclosure actions and a drawn out resale effort.

As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure. (my grandmother again) I pay someone to pick up my garbage, why shouldn't someone pay to get rid of their timeshare. If the op thinks they own garbage; why not?

The question is...will they really take the deed with the money...or just the money

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron I am also a Real Estate Broker (semi retired) and cold calling was a big part of my life for years.

One time I was teaching a class of 5 brand new agents the "art" of getting listings and buyers. I told each one of them to pick out 3 city blocks near their own house and knock on every single door (apartments included) in those 3 blocks (I also gave them some ideas for ice breakers when the resident answered)

Well in the next week those 5 new agents listed more homes and connected with more buyers than an entire office of 13 "experienced" agents did.

I think I got a gold sticker :hysterical:

Yes cold calling works - if properly applied.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick

As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure. (my grandmother again) I pay someone to pick up my garbage, why shouldn't someone pay to get rid of their timeshare. If the op thinks they own garbage; why not?

The question is...will they really take the deed with the money...or just the money

...which is exactly why, when a newbie comes on here asking about using a PCC, we usually encourage him to use TUG's free giveaway option.

That way, he will save thousands that he would have otherwise paid the PCC and he knows that the deed will be transferred out of his name (and not suffer a heart attack when he sees a MF bill 2-3 years down the road).

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to read that you have been mis-identified as a scam, and hope that your note clears up any misconceptions. The only thing that bothers me is that I think that any "legitiment" company would be more convincing if they would learn to spell legitimate. ??? :wall:

The negativity in the tug posts are same people over and over debating if we are legitiment since 2006, 2007, 2008. Show me a perfect operation - with no problems - love to see it - I challenge it.

I can only tell any interested donors who feed into this - we are legitiment and will provide a good service, we will not accept something we cannot

Last edited by a moderator:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced that ignoring the red underlines of the spell checker while typing your post is really a sign of being a scam.

However it does show just a bit of either hurried composition or carelessness.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that bad spelling is a sign of a scam. I simply think that the argument would carry more weight if the word were spelled correctly...particularly when it's used so many times. Maybe the person doesn't have a spell checker.

DFC Answers

Reaction score
Attorney for Donate for a Cause

Would like to address the concern that a property was sold before recorded to the charity. Project Philanthropy is the registered name of the company. Donate for a Cause is the DBA of Project Philanthropy. A property technically transfers when the deed is signed, not upon recording. Recording preserves owners from being usurped by a subsequent deed recorded first. We, of course, try to sell the properties as quickly as possible. This benefits the charity by avoiding future maintenance fees, the buyer has more time to book the vacation they want and the donor is relieved of the property sooner. We never list a property for sale unless we have a signed contract with the donor obligating them to complete the transfer. In any event, if the title work comes back with a problem or something else occurs thereby preventing the transfer the donor get 100% of their proceeds returned. If, for some reason we are not able to find a buyer within 12 weeks we then transfer the property into Project Philanthropy with the resort, and it becomes our burden. We do not hold the donor responsible after the 12 week period expires.

James P. Tarpey, Esq.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would like to address the concern that a property was sold before recorded to the charity. Project Philanthropy is the registered name of the company. Donate for a Cause is the DBA of Project Philanthropy. A property technically transfers when the deed is signed, not upon recording. Recording preserves owners from being usurped by a subsequent deed recorded first. We, of course, try to sell the properties as quickly as possible. This benefits the charity by avoiding future maintenance fees, the buyer has more time to book the vacation they want and the donor is relieved of the property sooner. We never list a property for sale unless we have a signed contract with the donor obligating them to complete the transfer. In any event, if the title work comes back with a problem or something else occurs thereby preventing the transfer the donor get 100% of their proceeds returned. If, for some reason we are not able to find a buyer within 12 weeks we then transfer the property into Project Philanthropy with the resort, and it becomes our burden. We do not hold the donor responsible after the 12 week period expires.

James P. Tarpey, Esq.

I have a deed i purchased through DFC that was in the name of Project Philanthropy, the thing is though...When i got in touch with Wyndham about ownership of the Week/TS that was associated with that Deed, it was still in the name of the previous owner before Project Philanthropy....

Wouldn't this mean that the previous owner was still responsible for all MF's that will come due and if not paid, would be on the hook for any foreclosures or credit beheadings?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
When donating a timeshare, how much am I able to use as a donation when it comes to my income taxes?

If both donation companies that posted on here could answer that would help me make a decision.