• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying with intent to exchange

jnsolomon

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have been researching buy a Wyndham resale and would like some advice.

I own DVC but travel to Orlando more often than my points allow so I often stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2 bedroom renting from an owner for about $800 for the week.

I am considering buying resale Wyndham 154,000 or 231,000 points at Smoky Mountains or somewhere else with reasonable maintenance fees. I am hoping that with an ongoing search, I will have a decent shot at exchanging into a DVC unit. If the exchange doesn't happen, I would be perfectly fine staying at Bonnet Creek.

I know that if I just want to stay at Bonnet Creek, I am better off just renting from a Mega-owner so I have no long-term commitment. I would just be buying in the hopes that I could occasionally get a DVC unit much cheaper than any other route. Does buying make sense for me?

Thanks in advance.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could work, but I'm not sure this is something I would recommend. The rules of the exchange game tend to shift rapidly. Right now Wyndham isn't a bad way to exchange in to DVC (WorldMark is probably even better), but that might not be true down the road.

Since I bought my first timeshare, just over seven years ago, there have been at least four "sea changes" that have materially impacted how one best exchanges into DVC: the switch from II to RCI, the RCI mass re-valuation in 2010 which whacked many tiger traders, the introduction of TPUs in 2011, and Wyndham's revised RCI exchange tables shortly thereafter.

There will be more to come. Count on it.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could work, but I'm not sure this is something I would recommend. The rules of the exchange game tend to shift rapidly. Right now Wyndham isn't a bad way to exchange in to DVC (WorldMark is probably even better), but that might not be true down the road.

Since I bought my first timeshare, just over seven years ago, there have been at least four "sea changes" that have materially impacted how one best exchanges into DVC: the switch from II to RCI, the RCI mass re-valuation in 2010 which whacked many tiger traders, the introduction of TPUs in 2011, and Wyndham's revised RCI exchange tables shortly thereafter.

There will be more to come. Count on it.

This advice is right on target. But certainly buying DVC directly is going to be expensive, so it might be worth it as if you get the right property at the right price, you would have a relatively painless exit opportunity should the exchanges change materially in the future (when they might change, and how much, is obviously unknown). So if it nets you 2-3 trades before the rules change again, it might be worth it to you anyway.

There are other options besides Wyndham to get trading potential with RCI. If you already have an RCI account, there may be better options. You can't combine the Wyndham-deposited points for trading with "regular" RCI points... they are different "currencies". I believe - others can correct me if I'm wrong - that DVC 2BR's require a 169K Wyndham deposit, so you'll want to make sure the size contract you look at would cover the DVC you'd want to exchange into for the time period you want - probably with some overage in case the exchange rate changes.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Instead of buying Wyndham points, BUY a non-chain PRIME unit which exchanges in BOTH RCI and II to use as the DVC trader. Maintenance fees will be lower than Wyndham's with the Program fee (which pays for the points reservation system & your exchange membership) - make sure the week you get is a FIXED WEEK (not a floating ownership) with very good trading power (like a Week 52 or Week 7). If you can get a lockout unit, all the better.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If you can rent a 2 br for $800 and be done with it at the end of the rental period I'd keep doing that until those prices start going up.

Why tie yourself to ownership when rent is reasonable?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
BUY a non-chain PRIME unit which exchanges in BOTH RCI and II to use as the DVC trader. Maintenance fees will be lower than Wyndham's with the Program fee
I'm not sure that is necessarily true on a "per DVC exchange" basis. As of today, the mini-systems all average across an area: a DVC 2BR costs the same number of mini-system points as the dingiest 2BR in Orlando. In regular weeks, DVC exchanges typically take significantly more TPU than most anything else in the area. Which one is better all comes down to how much you pay per K in Wyndham vs. how much you pay per TPU for your RCI trader.

jnsolomon

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input, love this forum and I am definitely going to become a paid member.

Just trying to figure out the best way to gamble on a DVC trade and still have a good fallback resort to stay at (Wyndham Bonnet Creek). Perhaps I should be looking at more of a prime fixed week trader that could still be used at Bonnet Creek if DVC doesn't come through. Thanks for all the advice, I know DVC inside and out but find other timeshares have quite a learning curve.

jnsolomon

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is necessarily true on a "per DVC exchange" basis. As of today, the mini-systems all average across an area: a DVC 2BR costs the same number of mini-system points as the dingiest 2BR in Orlando. In regular weeks, DVC exchanges typically take significantly more TPU than most anything else in the area. Which one is better all comes down to how much you pay per K in Wyndham vs. how much you pay per TPU for your RCI trader.

Thanks for the explanation, guess the biggest risk is how any of these variables could change.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too am a DVC Member and bought Wyndham.

I think if you can use your Wyndham ownership and not using it MAINLY to trade into DVC, it would be a good idea.

As a strict trader, you'd have to be prepared for when you can't in which case you have to ask yourself if it's worth it?

To me, I bought Wyndham to supplement my DVC ownership. We've done Glacier Canyon, Bonnet Creek, and Grand Desert in the one year I've owned it and have scheduled Galena, Myrtle Beach and yearly Glacier Canyon trips.

The fact that I have traded it to OKW (for 105K) points for a week for our Spring Break trip was extra icing to me.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your goal is clearly stated..

I want a shot at a Disney resort, but Bonnet Creek is a very good second choice

As long as you know Disney is a difficult trade, and you will usually be at Bonnet Creek, and you are ok with that ...buy Wyndham

The bonus with Wyndham is that its cheaper than buying into the Disney system, and there is a much better selection of resorts, for those times you want something other than the Mouse