• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Impressions of WPORV

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We've been here at WPORV for the past week and--despite a week of mostly rainy and windy weather--we've had a fabulous time here. I thought I'd share some overall impressions of the resort, the service, and the tourism industry on Kauai.

The Resort

In a word, fantastic. We stayed in unit 7213 on the second floor of Building 7. One of the things we really loved about our large 1BR unit was the generous balcony with the wonderful view of the ocean and the infinity pool. It was just great to sit out there when it was raining, read a good book, or take our lunch out and just enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Contrary to some posts I've read, the access to beautiful Anini Beach is fairly easy. It's about a ten-minute walk and the beach there is lovely, although not conducive to swimming during the winter months. The hike back is somewhat steep, but I will emphasize that you've got to be in pretty bad shape not to be able to make the hike back without too much trouble.

When we arrived, we received a very warm and hospitable welcome. The valets unloaded our luggage--including the groceries we'd bought at Safeway in Kapa'a--and brought everything to our room so we would not have to lug everything across the resort upon check-in. One nice perk is that guests receive free valet parking for the first night--a welcome plus after a long day of travel to get there.

Our room was immaculate: very clean and well-maintained. The highlight is the Westin Heavenly Bed. But all of the room amenities are ultra modern and easy to use. A recommendation: the rooms include a Bose Wave Machine, so be sure to bring your favorite CD's. The room also includes a DVD player. We were able to rent DVD's at the nearby Foodland's Redbox for $1/night.

A couple of nits: the air conditioning is both noisy and seems to cycle on and off a lot. When it does, it's noisy. As a result, we ended up just turning the a/c off during the night and opening the door to the balcony to let the sea breeze lull us to sleep. Another related nit: the ceiling fan in the bedroom was also very noisy. I mentioned this to the service desk and--hopefully--these issues will be addressed for the benefit of future guests.

We made full use of the gym during our stay. The gym is pretty good-sized and has a full array of aerobic equipment and some weight machines, as well as free weights. My wife enjoyed using the workout balls outside on the balcony overlooking the main pool.

There's one restaurant--Nanea--on the property. We ate dinner there one night and had a very nice meal. Like all of Kauai, it wasn't cheap (about $25 per entree, on average) but the service was prompt and efficient and the food was quite good.

One final comment about the resort in general: the grills are a wonderful perk. They're beautifully maintained Weber gas grills and they get lot of use from the guests. The grills themselves are removed each night and clean grills are replaced so that the grills are always sanitary. I grilled three of our meals during the week. It was really pleasant to stand out there while the food was cooking and watch the whales playing in the ocean.

The Service

I was frankly astounded at the level of service and the lengths the resort goes to maintain the resort's beauty. We saw groundskeepers--usually a crew of 6-8--everyday on the resort, working at pulling weeds, pruning shrubs, cutting grass or cleaning the grounds. Last night, a man was washing the deck around one of the pools until about 10 pm. We got to know a couple of the service people pretty well during the week, and everytime we'd say hello, they would ask us if there was anything they could to to make our stay more comfortable and enjoyable. This kind of service only comes with great training, and my hat's off to WPORV for doing a really outstanding job of that.

The Tourism Industry

No surprise here, but it's suffering. I would estimate that the resort has been at about 60% occupancy during our stay this week. When we went to dinner, I made a point of asking the restaurant managers how business was doing. The consensus seems to be that tourism on Kauai is down 35-50%. Many well-established restaurants have gone out of business, including Coconuts in Kapa'a and Pizza Hanalei.

The silver lining, of course, is that it's easy to get a table, a reservation for an excursion, or just about anything else you want to do on Kauai. About the only thing we did that took some advance planning was getting a sunset seating at The Beach House for my wife's birthday. One other thing about the downturn: the famous hospitality that has always marked the Hawaiian culture seems to have actually been turned up a notch or two from our previous visits to the Islands. I think people really appreciate seeing tourists come, especially since such a huge part of Hawaii's economy is dependent on those of us who come here to enjoy this spectacular natural paradise.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Barron. We will make our first visit in July.:banana:
Sorry to learn about Pizza Hanelei. On an earlier visit there, we met Haley Mills and her family there.
Glad you had a great time.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Great review! Thanks for the update - it sounds as if things have improved in the last months at this resort.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's one restaurant--Nanea--on the property.

Thanks for the great write-up! Is the WPORV's on-site restaurant really named "Nanea!?!"

Let's hope that it just doesn't up and disappear one day like the other Westin "Nanea" in Hawaii.

-nodge

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the great write-up! Is the WPORV's on-site restaurant really named "Nanea!?!"

Let's hope that it just doesn't up and dissapear one day like the other Westin "Nanea" in Hawaii.

-nodge

Yes, nodge, the restaurant here really is called Nanea. On a 1-10 scale, I'd give it a 7 or higher :)

LJT

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the roosters? When we were there in February, we kept the door open as well due to the loud air conditioners but the roosters woke us up at all hours! We agree, it is a beautiful place but less enjoyable for us as we were in a building further back with no ocean view.

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, we will be there in June so it really helps to get updated info. I love TUG

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad I could give you some timely info, cv. Enjoy your trip in June!

calche

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review as well! We'll be in PORV in April. With tourism down and restarants closing, was Sushi Blue's still open? Is the Princeville Hotel, oops, I mean the "St. Regis" is still closed for renovation?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review as well! We'll be in PORV in April. With tourism down and restarants closing, was Sushi Blue's still open? Is the Princeville Hotel, oops, I mean the "St. Regis" is still closed for renovation?

I looked on the St. Regis site and the hotel was taking reservations for this summer.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We agree, it is a beautiful place but less enjoyable for us as we were in a building further back with no ocean view.

What building/floor were you assigned?

Does anyone else have input on the non-ocean views?

Thanks

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The St. Regis has had some construction hold-ups as a result of the wet winter weather and slower than anticipated permitting from Kauai County. The front desk people told us they're hopeful it will re-open in June.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By the way, was the pool still nice and warm?

The pools were cool, but not cold. Of course, the jacuzzi pools are more than warm and--owing to the mostly rainy weather we experienced last week when we were there--they were the ones getting the most use :)

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What building/floor were you assigned?

Does anyone else have input on the non-ocean views?

Thanks

Non-ocean views will be in Buildings 1,2,4, and 5. However, Buildings 1 and 2 have views of the Prince Golf Course and Buildings 4 and 5 have views of Bali Hai.

Best buildings for ocean views will be in Buildings 3, 6, and 7. Our room was near the end of Building 7 and we were able to watch the whales from our balcony :)

DavidW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there too.

Came home March 1. Loved the resort. Stayed in a studio, second floor at the ocean end of building 2. Slight OV through the trees. Not a great weather week, but I was there to paint. Would like to go back sometime in the summer for better ocean activities.

Have a look:
http://davidwesterfield.blogspot.com/

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Came home March 1. Loved the resort. Stayed in a studio, second floor at the ocean end of building 2. Slight OV through the trees. Not a great weather week, but I was there to paint. Would like to go back sometime in the summer for better ocean activities.

Have a look:
http://davidwesterfield.blogspot.com/
Beautiful - I wish I had your talent (or any talent... :p )

on Wed - was that Anini Beach?

Last edited:

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice work, David. We are looking forward to our return to the garden isle. Our last trip to the island was pre Iniki and the house we stayed in near Haena was washed out to sea :(

While storms will continue to buffet Kauai, we appreciate the location of Princeville unit.

DavidW

TUG Member
Reaction score
DavidnRobin,
yes, that was Anini beach. I only had a chance to paint along the North shore. I can't wait to go back and do more.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WalnutBaron, did you see any other Tuggers there?
I believe baz48 was there the same week you were.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WalnutBaron, did you see any other Tuggers there?
I believe baz48 was there the same week you were.

Hi Thinze,

I did not meet any TUGgers there last week, or at least not any who identified themselves as such. We met a lot of nice folks, however, including those who own at WPORV and those who had traded in. In spite of the not-so-great weather, we all seemed to be enjoying ourselves.

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we were there the same time as WalnutBaron. I think we may have spoken in the elevator once. We were in building 7 also, but near the elevators away from the ocean so we only had a sliver of ocean visible from our balcony. No whales for us!

Then we moved down here to Poipu to the Marriott Waiohai (thanks Terry!) where the weather is noticeably better this week.

We haven't done too much this trip, mosty relaxing. But my girlfriend and I did take the cheesy Movie Tour which was a hoot. Got to go into the poor dilapidated Coco Palms hotel to see where Elvis got married in "Blue Hawaii" and see the beach where Lee Marvin landed in "Donovan's Reef" among many other sites.