• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quick points question

Chemnole

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I don't have a TS yet and have been trying to do my research for the last few months but I think I just confused myself.

If I buy a deeded RCI points TS (lets say about 75K points) for a specific week I have the option of going to "my" TS at that week and not be charged any points or an exchange fee, right? If I do that then I will have 75K points still in the bank for me to use some other time prior to their expiration which is 2 years...right? If I go to another TS I would then have to deduct the appropriate number of points and also pay the exchange fee..right?

Basically I will keep on accrueing points even though I'm still going to "my" TS and enjoying a vacation at the specified week.

This is the way it works...right?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Either You Use Your Own Deeded Week Or You Take The Points -- Not Both.

If I buy a deeded RCI points TS (lets say about 75K points) for a specific week I have the option of going to "my" TS at that week and not be charged any points or an exchange fee, right? If I do that then I will have 75K points still in the bank for me to use some other time prior to their expiration which is 2 years...right? If I go to another TS I would then have to deduct the appropriate number of points and also pay the exchange fee..right?

Basically I will keep on accrueing points even though I'm still going to "my" TS and enjoying a vacation at the specified week.

This is the way it works...right?
Not exactly.

So that owners will get a jump over points members who own elsewhere, owners can elect to make a reservation to go to their own points timeshare before the owned week automatically gets added to the exchange inventory over at RCI Points.

If the owner decides to go to the timeshare, then that takes care of that year's use of the timeshare -- i.e., no points that year. (Also, no exchange fee for checking in at your own timeshare.)

If the owner decides to take the points instead, then likewise that takes care of that year's use of the timeshare.

It's an either / or deal -- either use the timeshare or take the points.

Many points-timeshare owners never actually go to their points timeshares. They just take the points & use those for nice exchanges into other people's timeshares. We've never gone to ours, for example. However, if we ever do want to go, we'll see if we can snag a Last Call reservation -- money + zero points. That way we can go to our points timeshare & still use our annual automatic injection of points for exchanges into other people's timeshares.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No. If you use your TS during a year, you also use your points allotment for that year,but do not get charged an exchange fee since you did not make an exchange.
If you choose, you can leave your points in RCI and then use some or all of them to book at another resort and you do get charged an echange fee.
You don't get your cake ( TS usage) and to eat it too ( points for elsewhere )

JamminJoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Parkway, Week 52, RCI Points
Grandview at Las Vegas, Week 11
Unless you own a lock-off unit as is my case. I can use a 1-bedroom and have the lock-off side deposited for points.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you own a lock-off unit as is my case. I can use a 1-bedroom and have the lock-off side deposited for points.

AND if you deposit the 2 units separately, you can get more points than if you deposit the 2 units as one (unless that was changed in 2009).

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
AND if you deposit the 2 units separately, you can get more points than if you deposit the 2 units as one (unless that was changed in 2009).
Are you talking about Points for Deposit?

Whenever I have looked at resorts within the Points system, two separate deposits added up to what the entire unit was given. (As an example, consider Vacation Villages at Parkway in Orlando.)

Maybe this varies with resorts in other parts of the country???

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have lots of points questions too ... how do you search with points? do resorts come up with an associated points value?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You do not search within the points system. The theory is that almost any available inventory will come on line ten months prior to the use date (since almost any inventory in the points system is automatically ceded to RCI a year in advance). So, there is little prospect (that is different from no prospect) of a points unit coming available later.

If you want to initiate a search within the weeks system, you need to call.

I am not sure if I understand your last question. If you mean "Do resorts set their own point values?" the answer would be no. (Otherwise a resort would just set an astronomically high point value to please their owners. That would help them, but leave RCI with unused inventory since no one on the outside would be willing to pay those point values to go to the resort in question.)

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have lots of points questions too ... how do you search with points? do resorts come up with an associated points value?
I know you're new to points, do you have your Points membership number yet to login your Points Id/Password.

Use the Standard Reservation link from the Vacation Tab. The results will show the resorts and point value ranges based unit size and checkin dates. When you click on Available Units, you will get a list of the different units and their point values.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Points for Deposit?

Whenever I have looked at resorts within the Points system, two separate deposits added up to what the entire unit was given. (As an example, consider Vacation Villages at Parkway in Orlando.)

Maybe this varies with resorts in other parts of the country???

Yes I do mean PFD. I have a Silver Crown 2 BR lock-off (1 BR and Hotel unit), RED, in NH. Accoring to the 2008 Points grid, a 2 BR is 42,000. A 1BR is 29,500 and a Hotel/suite is 20,500. If I deposit the 1 BR and the Hotel separately then I should get 51,000 pts. A 2BR deposit would only yield 42,000.

Now, I've never done a PFD with my weeks unit and my assumption that RCI uses the same Points grid for PFD and reserving weeks units with Points is way off base.

If anyone knows different, please correct me.

You do not search within the points system. The theory is that almost any available inventory will come on line ten months prior to the use date (since almost any inventory in the points system is automatically ceded to RCI a year in advance). So, there is little prospect (that is different from no prospect) of a points unit coming available later.

Poger, you are right that you don't do on-going searches for Points resorts, but I believe she wants to search for resorts available with her newly acquired Points. This is basically putting in a "reservation request" with specific criteria and see what shows up. I assumed she wanted to know if the search results also list the point values.

Once she starts playing with the Points system it will all fall into place AND become more confused :)

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think its because I dont have the points account set up yet, so im very confused! i bet once i get in there and look around ill understand it better. still waiting for transfer ...

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think gorevs is correct, I misunderstood your question. (The word "search" is often used to refer to requests to RCI for trades that are not presently available. RCI will then note your request and tell you if a unit becomes available that meets your criteria.) Soooo ... in reponse to your question as I now understand it (already partially answered by gorevs) ...

Once you have deposited your points, you can go online and ask, for example, what is available in Vermont for the week of August 7. You will then get a list of the points resorts that are available and what sized units. For each unit, you will be told how many points it will take to obtain the unit. You can also ask if there are any units available from the Weeks system and what the point costs would be.