• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2013] Latest HH points devaluation

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
The latest round of Hilton HHonors point devaluations makes exchanging your HGVC points for HH points an (even more) awful proposition. Even the W 57th St 1:50 ratio makes little sense.

Hilton currently has 7 categories of hotel with Cat 7 requiring 50,000 points for a night. The new HH effective March 28, 2013 will have 10 categories with "seasonal rates" that reach 95,000 HH points per night.

For instance, I just booked the DoubleTree Suites on Times Square for New Years. It was 50,000 points per night. Under the new category structure it is 95,000 HH points per night. Almost double.

The average 2br Plat owner of 7,000 HGVC points will now be able to reserve 1 night in a standard room at a category 10 property if points are exchanged at 1:25.

Even the 5th Night Free is a worse deal than the previous VIP Award that it replaces.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/promotions/program-changes/english.html?wt.mc_id=CMEM_BRI9PoB8wONwGy

Reaction score
The latest round of Hilton HHonors point devaluations also devaluations your HGVC points as well. The value of exchange and flexibility make or break the intrinsic nature of a sound time share. What we are seeing and I hope I'm wrong is the move away from customer and brand loyalty to
how much can we charge them now.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it is the airlines or the hotel and timeshare chains, they all suck you in and have or will devalue your benefits. The big difference is that many paid a lot of money for the privilege of being screwed by the TS chains.

George

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
its typical nowadays, more concerned about shareholder value than customer satisfaction.

amisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least they have not found a way to devalue the week you own...

Actually I think that the HGVC point system is somewhat a hedge of the devaluation of HHonors and price increases for those properties ... While they can increase our MFs... they cannot take away the week you own and would have a hard time changing the points for existing properties. They have, as we have all noticed, that there is point inflation on their new properties and acquisition. But if you have followed the often recommended strategy of buying where you want to go the impact of the changes are somewhat IMHO hedged.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Wonder what this means for Hilton Amex users and the AXON7 and AXON6 codes.

I was told AXON ends March 28. No idea if it's replaced by something else yet, but I'd be surprised if something didn't replace it.

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me. I'm bailing on the Hilton rupiah and moving over to Hyatt and SPG for hotel stays. I did a status challenge on each so there's no transition loss of benefits. Hyatt requires top status in another program and 12 nights in three months to match it to Diamond. SPG requires 18 nights in any 3 calendar month period selected in advance to achieve their highest status (Platinum) through a challenge. I'll still have Hilton Gold in 2014 from stays earlier this year so if this turns out to be a bad idea i can come back without losing free internet and breakfast and an occasional upgrade.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's the new AXON award setup from Hilton Worldwide. I'm currently visiting their HQ in Tyson's at FTU.

http://www.loyaltyhacker.com/hotels/hilton-hhonors/hilton-axon-awards-begin-to-suck-june-15/

It, like their overall award chart, is a major devaluation. If you're in HGVC the conversion to HHONORS points makes even less sense than before.

Top properties that went for 145,000 points for 4 nights can now be as high as 300,000 points for 4 nights. In most cases, using a regular redemption with 5th night free is a better deal. Only in cases where you just want 4 nights in peak season will AXON make sense.

Last edited:

DaveC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! That is horrible. The Hilton in ocean city changed from category 7 to category 9 . So, 4 nights went from 145K to 260K points. What a ripoff! I can understand them making some changes but this is ridiculous. That is almost double.I guess I'll have to let my wallet do the talking and not stay at hilton hotels. What's next? An annual tax on our points because we need to pay our fair share?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I guess HHonors is just following Marriott's example. Marriott also recently added a higher catagory and moved hotels around, further devalueing their rewards points systems.

I've said it for years that it's foolish to buy a timeshare based on any conversion rate for hotel rooms. Unlike a deeded week that guarentees you can occupy a certain room size and classification every year, hotel rewards programs are built on shifting sands allowing for undesirable changes at the chains discretion.

We have seen many devaluations in both Hilton's and Marriott's programs since we first purchased a Marriott week in 2001. Both Marriott's and Hilton's programs have been devalued to the point we don't even use their credit card programs anymore nor will I take a tour based on an offer of hotel rewards points.

Eventually they'll devalue these programs to the point where they are no longer attractive to frequent travelers. When that finally happens, they'll have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. Loyalty will be striclty on a price. My belief is they'll become like the airlines where many travelers base decisions strictly on price, leading to cut rate wholesale pricing that leaves the business always on the edge of barely being profitable to facing bankruptcy if one little thing goes wrong.

It's to bad the future can be lost just to make the bottom line today. Then again, those making the decision today can pad their resume with what looks like a success story and some other CEO gets stuck with the losing hand in the game of musical chairs so many companies play with top level management.

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is no longer attractive anymore to book hotel via club points.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott, Hilton, et al. Corporate profits rule, the customer be damned. As many of you know I sold my Marriott Weeks when this crap started many years ago. Looking back it was a great move.

George

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
A customer loyalty program that becomes devalued is less likely to engender the good will of loyal customers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I booked 2 nights in Bora Bora and 8 nights in Maldives just before the point devaluation, to burn though all of my points. I still stay at Hilton regularly, but only because it is the easiest location my to client office when I am in the London area.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I guess I have not followed on the devaluation news until now. I just burned some of my Marriott points before it's being devalued on May 16th. What would be the best use of Hilton points now? I have around 370K in my account...

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I have not followed on the devaluation news until now. I just burned some of my Marriott points before it's being devalued on May 16th. What would be the best use of Hilton points now? I have around 370K in my account...

4 nights at double tree - times square for new year eve ball drop.

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Agreed! I booked two rooms in TS at the Double Tree for six nights this past year for us and some friends. My friends gave me $375 per night (going rate was > $700), so it helped "balance out" the usage of points and we had a great time. There are a few exceptions where it can make sense to convert from HGVC to HHonors at the 25:1 ratio, and Double Tree over New Year's is one of the few examples.

DaveC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a couple category 7 stays before my points are worthless?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Although going to NYC at the end of Dec is not something I look forward to :)

Regarding cat 7, there are quite a few places in Hawaii that are in that category. Also, I saw Hilton Buenos Aires is also Cat 7.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The only positive outcome I have seen is that the Mauritius property actually did increase in category, but ended up with a high and low season, and most stays may actually be in the lower 40K per night new scheme vs 50K a night in the old scheme.

Haven't heard of any other yet.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just before the most recent "change," I managed to use most of my HH-points booking Memorial Day weekend in Longboat Key, and a week-long Summer driving trip for Colorado (Colorado Springs, Durango, Grand Junction, Breckenridge & Denver).

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I've had my Hilton Citibank card since November. For the $95 annual fee I get Gold status and also received two weekend nights in just about any Hilton branded hotel (not yet used).

It has come in handy since I have had to stay in a hotel for a number of weeks due to my relocation from CA to CO. I've accumulated quite a few points in a short amount of time. I used 60,000 recently for a family trip to San Diego. For that I got two nights at a Hilton Garden Inn and a full restaurant style breakfast for me, my wife and two children. No other charges applied (I had expected to pay for the taxes). Also, while other nearby hotels charged a nightly parking fee I had no parking fee. All in all I was very pleased with what we got for those 60,000 points.

Since i only recently signed up i am not aware of how good everyone had it before the devaluation. I was going to post PLEASE don't say anything more about what I MAY have missed out on but maybe it is best to know since they could further devalue it next month. If Citibank is reading this I have not yet decided if I am going to keep the card beyond this first year... :)

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That sounds great, and I'll be there, albeit for far fewer points. Each night was at 50,000 when I booked after the devaluation news, or 145,000 for four nights.

Seems like a steal now.

I was poking around online and the Costa Rica all-inclusive didn't change from 60,000 points. All meals and drinks included at multiple restaurants and you're on a hillside next to two private beaches. I'd seriously consider that in addition to or over NYC.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That sounds great, and I'll be there, albeit for far fewer points. Each night was at 50,000 when I booked after the devaluation news, or 145,000 for four nights.

Seems like a steal now.

I was poking around online and the Costa Rica all-inclusive didn't change from 60,000 points. All meals and drinks included at multiple restaurants and you're on a hillside next to two private beaches. I'd seriously consider that in addition to or over NYC.

Everyone is recommending Double Tree, but Hilton Time Square actually has lower points requirement (80K vs. 90K) and higher cash daily rate for the same period. Is Double Tree better than Hilton?

I used up 200K for DS and his girlfriend last month and they had a wonderful time. Yes it sounds like a bargain now. Wish I knew about the devaluation and book at the same hotel for the fall...

BTW, Costa Rica sounds really enticing. We have been thinking about visiting there anyway.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Everyone is recommending Double Tree, but Hilton Time Square actually has lower points requirement (80K vs. 90K) and higher cash daily rate for the same period. Is Double Tree better than Hilton?

I used up 200K for DS and his girlfriend last month and they had a wonderful time. Yes it sounds like a bargain now. Wish I knew about the devaluation and book at the same hotel for the fall...

BTW, Costa Rica sounds really enticing. We have been thinking about visiting there anyway.

The Doubletree is all-suites. The Hilton TS will likely give you a view upgrade as a Diamond, but nothing more.

The Costa Rica resort is amazing. I loved it. But on my vacations I like to lounge around. Swim-up bars and unlimited booze is a huge selling point.