• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Costco car rental discounts reallly that good

pamu

Reaction score
Car rental

Hi! Greatest rental cars at cheapest prices? Try to book at "thecheapestcarrentals" 1-800-458-7856 . I always use this every time I travel especially in Europe and America. Feel free to ask about any concerns you have. I highly recommend them.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd still keep checking. :D

Um, ok you were right. Just locked in $431 all in for the 10-day minivan rental on costcotravel. Wow.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We reserved at Alamo thru Costco with pickup Txgiving day at CAE. Told no cars available, but sent to Avis/Budget and told by the Alamo rep we'd be reimbursed by them for the higher cost differential which was @$60.

(Seinfeld script, right?)

We'll see if we receive a check from Alamo as promised. If not, I'll be contacting Costco!

uop1497

Reaction score
Does anyone know why rental car thru costco does not allow to bring the car to Canada .

I am planning my next trip and want to drive rental car from Seattle airport to visit Vancouver and Victoria but unable to find which rental company allow that. If you do know, please share and thank you

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why rental car thru costco does not allow to bring the car to Canada .

I am planning my next trip and want to drive rental car from Seattle airport to visit Vancouver and Victoria but unable to find which rental company allow that. If you do know, please share and thank you

It is not a Costco rule it is a rule of the individual rental car company. Just as some rental cars that you get in any state will only allow you to drive them in certain other neighbouring states. Keep searching to find what you need

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

I did this a few years ago. I know I rented with Avis, picked the car up in Seattle and dropped it in Vancouver. I made the reservation directly through Avis. I don't remember if I checked Costco first.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sort of a last-minute trip planned just a few weeks ago, I snagged a Costco intermediate rental for $378 all-in for our 15-day trip, picking up in Tampa and dropping off at MCO. This seems so high compared to our past Fl trips :( But, the closest competitive price I've found is $560 for Fox Rentals. The same car direct through Alamo is $676. The Costco price hasn't budged, but I'll keep an eye on it. We always seem to get the best deals with Costco!

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Price for the rental mentioned above actually jumped by a couple of hundred dollars, so I was really happy I booked when I did. But, this a.m., price dropped to $315. I'm a happy Costco camper lol.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

just this past summer, we rented a car through Costco at one of the off-airport Seattle locations. We were able to take that into Vancouver for a week without any problems.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserved and cancelled three times with Costco for 11 day rental in Kauai. The price went from $385.00 to $305.00 to $208.00 (got this price the day before we are leaving). That's about $19.00 a day WITH all taxes and fees included. This is for a standard car through Alamo. It pays to keep checking ! I love Costco's no penalty cancellation policy plus the free driver.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just lowered my Southern California Thanksgiving week rental from $256 to $144!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just checked and rental prices for our two weeks on Maui dropped. I'll keep checking as I expect/hope for them to go even lower.

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserved and cancelled three times with Costco for 11 day rental in Kauai. The price went from $385.00 to $305.00 to $208.00 (got this price the day before we are leaving). That's about $19.00 a day WITH all taxes and fees included. This is for a standard car through Alamo. It pays to keep checking ! I love Costco's no penalty cancellation policy plus the free driver.

Keep in mind that it is not Costco that has the no cancellation fee policy, all the rental car companies have a no cancellation fee policy. You can cancel and re book with any of the major companies. The thing about Costco is that they have made a deal with the rental agency's that allows an additional driver at no cost.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
On the Costco car rental prowl again. Looking for a IAH to IAH rental and HOU to IAH. We have our flights booked out of IAH but not sure if we are flying in to HOU or IAH yet. Right now the IAH to IAH is about $400 where HOU to IAH is only $210. Not sure why.

All will depend on if we fly Southwest. They haven't released our date of 10/31 yet and it won't even open up the next time they open schedules.

RASTUS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will check out Costco when next travelling to the US.
Not sure if our AU Costco card will work with rentals & will have to check.

We travel to all different regions/countries from Australia & often have 30 day or longer rentals.

Primarily due to insurance concerns we have found extremely good rates [way under direct with rental companies or the other sellers] no off the wall providers just had the regular brands Thrifty, Alamo & Dollar to date, plus the appropriate/correct insurance coverage included to suit the rental area for example CA supplementary coverage.
Just search through their different product/s until you get the insurance you require, if your insurance company doesn't cover rental vehicles. No Australian insurance companies do!
www.economycarrentals.com

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
costco

While I am a Costco member, I usually find autoslash.com offers a better rate since you get a corporate rate with them. In my recent rental at TPA, autoslash was about 50 dollars cheaper. THe other thing is even if the rate is not intially cheaper, autoslash checks the rate every day to see if they can get you a better rate.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I am a Costco member, I usually find autoslash.com offers a better rate since you get a corporate rate with them. In my recent rental at TPA, autoslash was about 50 dollars cheaper. THe other thing is even if the rate is not intially cheaper, autoslash checks the rate every day to see if they can get you a better rate.

Interesting. How does the corporate rate deal work?

Do you know if they allow 2 drivers with that rate? My husband usually prefers to drive, but I'm the designated driver after dinner so the ability to have 2 drivers for no additional cost is something I look for.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
autoslash

You get whatever is customary with the rental company. If you have status and you get that benefit you get it

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Another day, another lower price at Costco. Just changed a September rental from Enterprise Intermediate to Alamo Premium and saved $53.

I also made another reservation for December with Alamo also in a Premium (as it was less expensive than a Compact!). In fact, within an hour of making the 9-day reservation at $332.34 after taxes I checked again and it was lowered to $306.68...so I canceled and rebooked. At the moment the following car types are available between $307-308 during my stay: Premium, Intermediate SUV, Mini Van, Standard Convertible, Luxury Car. Perhaps they're having an error updating their system today...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ken, the rates for Maui have gone sky high for the dates of our trip. I had booked a minivan for two weeks for $493, the rates are now around $1825. :eek: I had wanted to go back and book a fullsize SUV instead and those are around $3200. :bawl: I keep checking back in hope they'll go down again, but very glad I grabbed the minivan at $493.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, the rates for Maui have gone sky high for the dates of our trip. I had booked a minivan for two weeks for $493, the rates are now around $1825. :eek: I had wanted to go back and book a fullsize SUV instead and those are around $3200. :bawl: I keep checking back in hope they'll go down again, but very glad I grabbed the minivan at $493.

Is this during a holiday period? I've seen crazy rates before, as well. That doesn't mean Costco is not providing the lowest available, or are you able to get lower rates elsewhere for your dates?

Sent from my iPad

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Is this during a holiday period? I've seen crazy rates before, as well. That doesn't mean Costco is not providing the lowest available, or are you able to get lower rates elsewhere for your dates?

Sent from my iPad

Nope.

I also checked Discount Hawaii and autoslash. Everyone is high for that time period. It's in March. And a few weeks ago the rates were much lower.

As I said I do have a much lower rate, which I'm very glad to have. And I'll keep that if nothing else comes in lower.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nope.

I also checked Discount Hawaii and autoslash. Everyone is high for that time period. It's in March. And a few weeks ago the rates were much lower.

As I said I do have a much lower rate, which I'm very glad to have. And I'll keep that if nothing else comes in lower.

I'll be there next month as well, and the rates are higher now for my dates vs when I made my last reservation.

Sent from my iPad

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I also have a reservation in May for San Diego. That one hasn't changed at all since I made it. But I keep checking. :D

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have been looking at Costco and have not seen a drop below $300/wk for both OGG and LIH from mid-Aug to early-Sept for a basic car.

This is much, much higher than this time last year. Any hope for lower car rental prices?