• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Preparing for Chip-and-Pin Cards in the United States

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Preparing for Chip-and-Pin Cards in the United States - by Mark Scott/ Security/ Bits Blogs/ International New York Times/ The New York Times.com

LONDON —" On a recent morning, eager shoppers swarmed around Covent Garden, a 350-year-old former open-air vegetable market in central London whose glass-fronted stores now include popular American companies like Apple and Shake Shack.

But when consumers here pulled out a credit card to make a purchase, they got an extra layer of security compared with most shoppers in the United States. A chip embedded into all credit and debit cards in Europe — a technology known as E.M.V. — has cut many forms of card fraud by more than 65 percent in the last decade.

“At first, it was a little strange to use, but now it’s become second nature,” said Jennifer Spencer, 39, an office manager, who was at Covent Garden to get a head start on holiday shopping. “I can’t imagine paying for things in any other way.”

The technology, which has a microchip in the card and requires consumers to enter a PIN at checkout, has been required in Europe and some countries elsewhere for about a decade. Now, Americans retailers and banks are preparing for the wide release of the technology, in a wholesale security upgrade that will cost billions of dollars. The change will start next year and is expected to take several years to complete..."

Richard

Reaction score
The USA lags far behind the world. The cards are being rolled out as we speak, and MC/Visa plan on being 100% converted by October. At that point, if a merchant does not take Smart Cards and is a victim of a hacker, MC/Visa are not responsible. So, if a mom-and-pop company loses credit card info, hackers make off with millions in "magnetic" users' money, that business must pay.

TS

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Well, using cash is still an option.
It's said that 40% of shoppers at Walmart pay for purchases in cash.

I encourage folks to get passports as a license to travel the world,
but a CC that works in the rest of the world is just as important.

Last edited:

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised that I was able to just tap my chip and pin card at Macy's in California. Worked great but I still had to sign which I don't have to do in Canada.

Lynn

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My chip cards work at Walmart, but I still have to swipe at most businesses here in the high tech capital, Silicon Valley.:doh:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
American Express ---- delivered

Just got my new American Express card ... unrequested ....

It is a CHIP & SIGNATURE technology ...

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay .. chip & signature .... I was just happy to finally be part of a improved security ....US needs MORE chip readers installed.
Please explain the improvement?
I don't see one. The authentication is still your signature that no vendor checks anyway!

Chip and Pin. Something you have And something you know. 2 factor authentication.

Chip and signature. Something you have and something squiggly on the back of the something you have. Still single factor.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see one. The authentication is still your signature that no vendor checks anyway!

Chip and Pin. Something you have And something you know. 2 factor authentication.

Chip and signature. Something you have and something squiggly on the back of the something you have. Still single factor.

I agree. I have a chip/sign card too. No PIN. AND it has a mag-stripe as well. This is even less secure than just the plain ol' mag-stripe card. Baaaah! Yet another giant step backward. I'm waiting for the next great advance of using barter and wampum.

Jim

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I signed up for a Chase Sapphire card this summer, because (a) it has no foreign transaction fees, and (b) I thought it was chip & pin. Found out it was chip & signature, something that wasn't even on my radar at that point.

Bah! Why in the world are the US card companies doing this? As Jim points out, it's even less secure than the old cards. And it's still incompatible with the world standard. I predict that, when US citizens try to use these in Europe, it will lead to even more confusion than the mag stripe cards, because after all it has a chip and fits in the card readers, but it still doesn't verify. I called in to Chase to get a PIN for this card, and they said "you want a PIN? Why? If you use the PIN, it will automatically be a cash advance and incur interest". Aargh! :wall:

They went to a lot of trouble to make us less secure, more confused, and incompatible with the world. What in bloody h*ll have they been smoking?

-Bob

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We have a couple of the new 'pin' cards. Based on the info provided with the cards, you use the card as a chip and pin in places such as Europe. They can also be used as plain old signature cards in the US. It depends on the type of readers that the merchant has. Eventually, the US merchants are to migrate to the chip and pin type.

I can't address the security of these cards...ours are simply issued to also enable use where chip and pin is the norm.

Bill4728

Reaction score

To create a fake CC with mag strip is EASY That is why we are moving to the chip cards. It isn't the authentication (sign or pin) it is the fake cards.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
To create a fake CC with mag strip is EASY That is why we are moving to the chip cards. It isn't the authentication (sign or pin) it is the fake cards.
But for the next forever they have a mag stripe back up.
So create mag only clone.