• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renewed interest in knitting

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
but trying to save some money with purchase. Local gal, very knowledgeable, offers help if you buy your wool from her. $7.50 for 22 grams.
I needed 10 skeins.

I Looked in Wal-Mart and it was about $8.00 for one big skein that weighed 1 pound. No help given if you get stuck with the pattern.

I can't compute this gram/ounce thing.

I've made 5 afghans for grand kids at the higher dollar amount.

It is kinda a fun thing for me.

Assistance please!

stoler527

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yarn

Try ebay. They sell yarn in varying amounts and colors. It could be what you are looking for.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Obviously Wal-Mart is much cheaper, but my guess is that you are not comparing yarn of equal quality, either.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
220 grams converts to about 7.7 ounces. Of course it's hard to do a direct comparison of the yarns without also looking at the length you're getting, the quality, etc. Walmart has really cut down on its yarn department, and at least at my store they only stock synthetic yarns, not anything that's real wool or very nice quality. It's fine for lots of uses, but I'd suspect from the smaller skeins and higher price, you've been working with some very nice yarn!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is a huge difference in the price of high quality yarn, and Wal-Mart Yarn. It's very much like buying a designer dress, and a dress at Wal-Mart - different product.

Last edited:

stoler527

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cheap yarn

I am currently making a throw out of the cheap Wal-Mart yarn. $6.97 for a pound. It is OK, but not great. The yarn splits a lot which creates problems. It doesnt have a good feel as I am using it. However, it is machine washable and when the dogs ruin it I won't cry too much.
To make a sweater or other garment I wouldn't consider the cheap stuff.

If the grand kids might want to keep the afghans as heirlooms, I would use better yarn. For kids washable is important, but they now have machine washable wool in addition to acrylic. Yarns with cotton in them are particularly nice for kids.

I think that Lion Brand has a cheaper 100% wool yarn, if you want wool. Wal-Mart used to carry it, but they don't anymore. Other craft stores might still carry it. They also have a website.

Higher quality yarn at a cheaper price can be bought on ebay. However, you have to know what you are buying.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference in the price of high quality yarn, and Wal-Mart Yarn. It's very much like buying a designer dress, and a dress at Wal-Mart - different product.

I know; I used to knit and I've used good yarn and cheap yarn----but I didn't realize the price difference was THAT great. (It's been a long time since I was knitting, so perhaps there has been more of an increase in the good stuff and even more of a decline in the cheap stuff. On the other hand, maybe I just didn't remember.:ignore: )

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I've been buying my yarn online ever since my local yarn store didn't have or know about colors available in the Berocco RicRac yarn I needed to make Xmas gift scarves. Searching online I found a plethora of colors- the shame of it is that a local small business lost out on mine because I'd gladly have had them order the needed colors! The website I use is WEBS or www.yarn.com. They offer high quality yarns and many closeouts for reasonable cost.

The best knitting help I've found is by googling the specific term I need help with, e.g. how to pick up and knit stitches. The video demonstrations of the various techniques are better than seeking personal help because you can view the demo repeatedly until you mastered the stitch.

I don't mind spending more for quality yarns because I feel the time I invest justifies the cost. Spendier yarns are often easier to work with as well and the finished items look better than when made with bargain brands, IMHO.

LouiseG

Reaction score
I too just picked up the needles once again after many years. Being in Florida, there is not a lot of yarn available. I've found that JoAnn's and Michaels have medium quality yarn at a reasonable price and if you go online and sign up to the websites of the yarn manufacturers you get access to free patterns as well. Don't know that there's a lot of folks who want to knit and crochet here in Florida, but with the AC on in the house it's not uncomfortable to do. Good luck and enjoy.:)

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Ravelry

if you're interested in an online community, join Ravelry.com. It's the equivalent of TUG for knitters and crocheters and is free. And like TUG, it can chew up hours of online time:). It has bulletin boards, groups and tons of resources. For example, if you've got a yarn and are interested in what patterns will work with it, you can search and find hundreds of completed projects posted by members complete with a photo, links to the pattern they used and comments about how the yarn worked from their viewpoint. You can do the same with a specific pattern, or you can search for a type of project, i.e., a shawl, and see lots of shawls people have made with photos, pattern links and yarn info.