• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prices for Private Residence Clubs Slow to Recover

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Prices for Private Residence Clubs Slow to Recover - by Paul Sullivan/ Your Money/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"SEVEN years after prices for private residence clubs and other fractional developments collapsed, the value of a small slice of paradise is still far from recovered.

Sales last year began to pick up, hitting $516 million, but that is just a quarter of what it was in 2007, according to a recent report from Ragatz Associates, which tracks this market. And the prices for those shares that did sell are still down 25 to 30 percent from the peak.

Who is right may only be known years from now. But if ever there was a time to ask what it was like to own — or be unable to sell — a partial share in a vacation home, it may be now. How did owners fare? And what caveats should a new buyer bear in mind?..."

02wealth-web2-master675.jpg

The Cloister Ocean Residences at Sea Island, Ga. Sales of private residence clubs and other fractional developments in North America were $2.3 billion in 2007; this year, they are expected to top $1 billion.

Richard

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Richard, I guess this is for some people but not the typical timeshare owners here on TUG. I'd be interested if anyone has had experience with the luxury home vacation clubs like Exclusive or Inspirito. I get bombarded by their emails all the time. At $15k to join and $3k annual membership fee PLUS the nightly cost of the home rentals, it sounds like a pretty pricey proposition. Has anyone used these?
Brian

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we had some less than stellar experiences with some high end fractionals a few years back (high country club comes to mind).

such a massive investment with the risk of imploding just like that one did.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Richard, I guess this is for some people but not the typical timeshare owners here on TUG. I'd be interested if anyone has had experience with the luxury home vacation clubs like Exclusive or Inspirito. I get bombarded by their emails all the time. At $15k to join and $3k annual membership fee PLUS the nightly cost of the home rentals, it sounds like a pretty pricey proposition. Has anyone used these?
Brian

Hi Luvtoride,

As TugBrian mentioned, there was interest in high-end fractionals by some Tuggers a few years back. It's definitely out of my price range. I posted the link for those interested in what's happening in the fractional market.

On a different note, Sea Island is part of the Golden Isles.

For those not familiar, the Golden Isles are a combination of the coastal city Brunswick, Georgia and a group of barrier islands on the eastern Georgia coast. Namely, Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, Little St. Simons Island, and Sea Island.

For more info see www.goldenisles.com

For those interested in financial history and Jekyll Island's role in the founding of the Federal Reserve System see www.jekyllislandhistory.com/federalreserve.shtml

For US history and Naval history buffs - St. Simons Island was where the Live Oak Timber was harvested and shipped to Boston in 1794 for the construction of the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"). See www.glynncounty.com/oaktree.pl?id=00009695
and Captain Gascoigne, St. Simons Island, Georgia - http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGNJ5_Captain_Gascoigne_St_Simons_Island_GA

Richard

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian

I get tons of emails as well on joining. It seems they drop the price and offer better deal everytime (e.g., they'll waive initiation, etc.). I haven't responded or even looked into it as I'm very happy with my Starwood timeshares. I think one of them is tied to American Express as I was offered $50 AMEX giftcard if I responded to a reply card with my contact info. I don't give out my cell, but have an ooma line that goes to voicemail so I'm sure they've been leaving tons of messages.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I looked at Inspirito, pretty closely, but could not justify the cost.. i just don't see the value for the investment..

I guess your paying for the curated experience, pre-screened rentals...

Maybe if i had more bucks, and wanted to travel with large family groups it might make sense..

Last edited: