• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
9 visits
0 gifts
(rum is cheap - go for the beer)

Didn't know 5* had that perk - only GM/gifts for SPG Plats.
Damn - need to buy more...

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have usually received a note from GM's wherever I check in (100+ night platinum) but here no note or welcome amenity. We're on our third day, in the lower Villa Grande apartments, but moved into a one bedroom, 2 bath second floor instead of the studio, 1 bath we reserved. No view but trees, but no worries. We don't stay in the room anyway. The trip to Jost Van Dyke was great except for getting stung like crazy at the snorkeling stop. And, the sunscreen gave out way too early - burned, burned, burned.

Awesome people on the trips, in the pool, in the hot tub, and love the interactions with everyone.

I hear that USVI waters are having a 'sea lice' outbreak (plankton bugs) which cause minor stings. Not going to mention this to Robin. Hopefully will be gone in 39 days…

I don'y understand your villa location - how can you only have a view of trees? What building number is this 'Villa Grande'?

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We have been stung by the sea lice, we thought maybe little jelly fish, shows what I know. Usually happens when you stop moving. Annoying more than anything. I'll try and post a picture when we get back with the room number too. I prefer not to post it while we are still here, we leave tomorrow . Our neighbors are having quite a party tonight.

We had a great time and will come back. Thank you to everyone on this board, we made many decisions based on your advice. Hard to believe we have been on TUG almost 10 years.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
9 visits
0 gifts

We've always gotten the note and some kind of gift -- chocolates, basket of nuts and cookies, champagne flutes, bottle of wine, fruit baskets, etc

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We left this morning, sadness. We decided to do it ourselves and took the Charlotte Amalie ferry. We left the hotel at 10:15 and were through security by 12:30. Our costs for 2 were as follows
15 taxi to dock in at john.
37 boat ride with 2 bags
22 taxi to airport

74 total in cash

Westin wanted 65 pp for one way ( we went to the Westin differently since we were on st Thomas for a week first)

Now the plane ride back to the west coast.

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is true about the sea lice. We were on Cinnamon yesterday and got into them. My wife got some stings even way out by the Cay. They bothered her more than I. They were just little pin pricks to me and I hardly noticed them. We talked to a lady as we were leaving the beach and she said the sea lice were at every beach she had visited. We did not notice them at Salt Pond or Lamesur but the wind was out of the south that day and the bays were very choppy.

In other news Morgans Mango in Mongoose Junction had a kitchen fire last Sunday so is closed. No one knew how bad or how long they might be closed. I also missed the news that the Tap Room had a fire last January which started in the adjoining hair salon. That place burned to a crisp. They are now operating out of temporary space near their old location. Somebody better check the wiring in Mongoose Junction!!

We are currently staying in a private rental overlooking the north shore, with a week at the Westin upcoming. Two weeks here is wonderful. While I love the Westin Resort life, it is also nice to spend some time alone away from a resort.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My husband was stung by sea lice. He complained of getting stung and he came out of the water several times with a rash, but we had no idea what it was until now.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are Sea Lice an environmental issue - meaning a potentially long term issue or is it a seasonal hatching issue? Anyone know from past years of experience.

We visit every winter in January or February. Never been an issue or heard of the issue, but wondering if this could be a potentially long term issue in the carribean waters?

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not only sea lice (stinging plankton),
http://newsofstjohn.com/2015/04/27/what-the-heck-is-in-the-water/

But also sargassum seaweed has been present for quite sometime (it does appear in the USVI - blown by winds/currents, but generally does not persist).
http://mission-blue.org/2014/10/sargassum-inundates-the-beaches-of-the-caribbean/

There is also the invasion by Lion Fish,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLBK8QxcOW8iUDl7nqydSx7MU39KZgyyPw&v=enYnd7356yQ#t=188

and importantly the destruction of coral - especially deep water coral - due to warm waters for an extensive time (aka global warming…)

Also - Great Cruz Bay was just deemed unsafe (again) for swimming and fishing.
http://viconsortium.com/featured/dp...o-in-st-john-unsafe-for-swimming-and-fishing/
"On St. John, the public is urged to avoid swimming or fishing in Johnson’s Bay and Great Cruz Bay"

Fortunately, the proposed mega-harbor in Coral Bay looks defeated.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Great Cruz Bay deemed unsafe for swimming

perhaps this should be better noted on this thread...

Great Cruz Bay was just deemed unsafe (again) for swimming and fishing - doesn't meet minimum water quality standards.

http://viconsortium.com/featured/dp...o-in-st-john-unsafe-for-swimming-and-fishing/
"On St. John, the public is urged to avoid swimming or fishing in Johnson’s Bay and Great Cruz Bay"

'urged to avoid swimming' - I am sure WSJ staff won't bring this up…

I once spoke with a long-term resident of StJ - and she said that she would not allow her kids to swim in GCB due to the sailboats moored in GCB not using the boat's holding tanks. There is no active enforcement of this. Perhaps WSJ Management and SVO could apply some pressure (aka as $$$ in the USVI) to have enforcement of the violations by these boat owners?

I posted the link to WSJ FB page - wonder how long it will last? ;)

Last edited:

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for information - but not sure the SeaLice issue. I read on some sites it is more seasonal with Jelly Fish Spawning. I don't see any commentary about that in this information.

Glad about Coral Bay - didn't want more traffic and competition.

PS Stinks about Cruz Bay

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for information - but not sure the SeaLice issue. I read on some sites it is more seasonal with Jelly Fish Spawning. I don't see any commentary about that in this information.

here you go…

http://newsofstjohn.com/2015/04/27/what-the-heck-is-in-the-water/

According to Gerald Singer, author of SeeStJohn.com and one of the most knowledgeable island residents when it comes to sea life and such, I most likely had the fortune of running into some stinging plankton. Here’s what Gerald wrote about it on his website Saturday:

“I took two nice long swims; one yesterday at Hawksnest and another, the day before at Trunk. I kept feeling these little stings, but didn’t see anything and the pain only lasted for a second or two, so I just kept on swimming. But now I have all these little bumps and they ITCH!!!

The probable culprit, a stinging plankton with the disgusting name “sea lice.” These tiny plankton, some so small that you can’t even see them, have a microscopic little barb called a nematocyst that activates when the plankton makes contact with something, like another plankton or small fish or you, and releases an irritating protein, that can develop into a itchy, itchy, itch later on.

I can attest to their presence at Hawknest and Trunk Bays and I’ve heard reports from Caneel Bay and even out on the East End, so it looks like they’ll be around for a while, until that evil tide or current that brought then this way takes them somewhere else. The sooner the better!

Treatment is a really hot shower, like as hot as you can stand it and then vinegar or a meat tenderizer paste to break down the protein. Helps a bit, but you can count on the itch coming back after a while. The itching usually lasts a few days to as much as a week.

I’ve found that this stuff you can get a Chelsea, Benadryl Itch Stopping Gel, is effective, at least for a time.

These plankton, along with other possible itchy-stingy organisms like jellyfish, for example, exist in the sea at all times, but usually in such small concentrations that that they won’t ever be a nuisance. Now apparently, there are enough of them around our bays to virtually guarantee an encounter.”

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
From the latest owners newsletter -- very very disappointing.

Wall Between bBedrooms in Buildings 41 and 42

Owners who have read our reports for a long time know that for five years we have addressed the desire of certain owners to have permanent walls and doors installed to divide the single large upstairs bedrooms in these buildings. As you know, under the bylaws this conversion would require, for any particular unit, the concurrence of each owner of that unit. Shawn O’Brien, Director of Board Relations for SVO, made numerous phone calls to “holdout” owners who did not affirmatively consent to convert the sliding panels to walls. For each unit, there has been at least one owner (in some cases, only one) who either did not want the conversion or at least declined to consent. Regrettably, and despite these efforts, our attempt to have walls installed has reached a dead end.

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is some more information on the sea lice. I can attest to the fact that the things stay in the clothing. I was dumb enough to re-wear the same shirt I wore at Cinnamon and jumped in the pool at our rental house. It did not take long and my chest and shoulders were burning pretty bad. I developed the prototypical "seabathers rash" on my chest. It is not terrible but certainly annoying. And I probably look a little scary at the pool now that I am at the Westin. :)

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Debunking_the_Sea_Lice_Myth

Ran into the things again while snorkeling on Trunk near the Cay. Apparently the whole north shore is affected. Thinking of heading out to Haulover today or tomorrow. Hopefuly they have left that bay alone although it too faces north. I would head back to the south shore where we did not encounter the little buggers, but there is a pretty strong southeast wind again today.

Last edited:

bubfn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the latest owners newsletter -- very very disappointing.

Wall Between bBedrooms in Buildings 41 and 42

Owners who have read our reports for a long time know that for five years we have addressed the desire of certain owners to have permanent walls and doors installed to divide the single large upstairs bedrooms in these buildings. As you know, under the bylaws this conversion would require, for any particular unit, the concurrence of each owner of that unit. Shawn O’Brien, Director of Board Relations for SVO, made numerous phone calls to “holdout” owners who did not affirmatively consent to convert the sliding panels to walls. For each unit, there has been at least one owner (in some cases, only one) who either did not want the conversion or at least declined to consent. Regrettably, and despite these efforts, our attempt to have walls installed has reached a dead end.
We own unit 4213 and I have not been contacted. I would support the wall

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is what makes me dubious of their "efforts" to contact EVERYONE. I almost bought a unit in the 42 building, but at the last minute decided against it, because of the no wall thing. I think this is bringing down resale in those buildings. I am still on the hunt for the perfect EOY week in one of the the 43 or 44 buildings.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I would strongly suggest to email Phil and/or Bob with this info. Posting it here will get little action. I do not think either Phil or Bob read this forum (unfortunately).

The bylaws for VGV were not well written (leading to an attempted lawsuit by some Owners) - and indeed it takes 100% cooperation and accounting. A very (very) high-bar in today's world of being a PIA for the sake of being a PIA.

Based on what I have seen in the past with regards to contact info for VGV Owners (very poor database keeping by SVO/WSJ) - it doesn't surprise me that not all Owners' were contacted.

What ever happened to that 'VGV Owners Coalition' and their lawsuit?

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This is what makes me dubious of their "efforts" to contact EVERYONE. I almost bought a unit in the 42 building, but at the last minute decided against it, because of the no wall thing. I think this is bringing down resale in those buildings. I am still on the hunt for the perfect EOY week in one of the the 43 or 44 buildings.

I agree - I would never own one of the 3Bd pool villas that had the movable wall (I have state in both types). It was to be replaced at no cost to the HOA - must be frustrating for B41-B42 Owners.

I do not think it is 'dubious' at all - they have been very transparent about this process for quite a while. Their database sucks.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Why not make a listing of approving owners available?

We own in 4215, and we were never contacted about this either. I had to act myself to tell the folks there we were voting in favor of building the wall. I have no idea whether they counted our vote or not.

Perhaps our Virgin Grand reps should post a listing of all owners who have voted for the wall...or at least make such a listing available to us.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I suggest to contact Phil and/or Bob - and voice your concerns. If B41/B42 people were not contacted, and SVO/WSJ Rep says they made attempts, then I would make them aware.
It could be that they had already found one dissenter for that particular villa, and stopped. They need 100% Owner compliance - if one Owner dissents - then no reason to continue as it is a futile effort.

I would not jump to conclusions here - they initiated making the change, the Owners did not. My reasoning is that the 3Bd pool villas [w/ wall] has more value for the ones they own - otherwise… why would they care? They were even willing to cover the cost outside of the HOA.

btw - no way are they going to make a listing of Owners publicly available, unless the Owners agree.
btw2 - the voluntary site they created is a big Fail (IMO). Basically useless (unfortunately) - typical old-school corporate design that effectively was (is) a waste of time/energy.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree - I would never own one of the 3Bd pool villas that had the movable wall (I have state in both types). It was to be replaced at no cost to the HOA - must be frustrating for B41-B42 Owners.

I do not think it is 'dubious' at all - they have been very transparent about this process for quite a while. Their database sucks.

It took me nearly 9 months to find the perfect summer week in building 44. Totally worth it for the much nicer upstairs, and 3.5 baths. Shockingly, I also use the hot tub by the pool nearly every day. I was surprised by that.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, looks like I'm waiting another 30 days to book that last flight.

Still have two wait lists in play to fiddle with our arrival date/length of stay at WSJ. I thought they expired at 90 days out, was told today when I inquired that they will keep checking to 60 days out, so no point in locking in our arrival in the USVI until I know for sure our WSJ booking dates.

For the first time in years our waitlists didn't come through, which is definitely some kind of an indication of how hard it is to book in to WSJ with SO's.

I guess we're officially doing a 1nt in a studio followed by 9nts in a 2BR. Will have to keep checking if a single 2BR night shows up that I can book and plead to have the two bookings joined together so we don't have to move...

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
For the first time in years our waitlists didn't come through, which is definitely some kind of an indication of how hard it is to book in to WSJ with SO's.

I guess we're officially doing a 1nt in a studio followed by 9nts in a 2BR. Will have to keep checking if a single 2BR night shows up that I can book and plead to have the two bookings joined together so we don't have to move...

Take a look at this thread. I'm not so sure your waitlist works the way you think it should.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
9 visits
0 gifts

We always receive a welcome gift.....

Last year. I loved the gift basket made up from St John Brewing company....Actually I got 2 of them, cause we went twice.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
East end

We are taking our 4th trip to St John and we have not really explored the east end of the island. Any advice on points of interest there would be appreciated.

I can't believe how huge this thread has become it needs it's own search engine.lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.