• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Clemente Inn lowered MF!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Just read my HOA newsletter for San Clemente Inn and they said they've lowered the maintenance fees! Amazing :)

I have to check my bill to see exactly how much it was lowered and when.

They are also finally doing the lobby remodel and it should be done in time for Summer. We've already exchanged this Summer's week so we can go to Hawaii in 2017 but I think when I'm down there next at my other nearby timeshare I'll stop by to take a look at the remodel. The fact that the lobby had not been remodeled has been one of my complaints ever since I bought it a few years ago.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Just read my HOA newsletter for San Clemente Inn and they said they've lowered the maintenance fees! Amazing :)

In the first ten years or so of its existence (it opened in 1987), Marriott's Sabal Palms had a couple of very small maintenance fee reductions, but that just never happens anymore. Kudos to the San Clemente Inn for their apparent fiscal discipline.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Others resorts have done this, too

My records show that the Virgin Grand HOA at Westin St John has now reduced maintenance fees for 6 years in a row.

TimMikel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Forest Resort and Club; Windward Passage Resort; Redington Ambassador; Sea Club V
Yes, it can happen

Lake Forest Resort & Club had a couple maintenance fee reductions in the past 5 years and the 2016 maintenance fee is still about 4% below where it was 5 years ago. During that 5 year period, the resort has replaced appliances, put in new carpet, furniture, lighting, faucets, mirrors, expanded dock space for boats, re-surfaced the tennis court, added pickle ball courts, upgraded to a new satellite HD TV system, expanded Internet bandwidth, and will be upgrading the beach, playground and Resort Center this year.

All this while significantly increasing funds in the asset reserve account. Good things can happen with productive employees, excellent management, and engaged owners and board or directors.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read my HOA newsletter for San Clemente Inn and they said they've lowered the maintenance fees! Amazing.

Yes, this is truly amazing considering the work they have done and are doing. We are original owners and I have submitted numerous reviews over the years. The key was conservative management with the replacement reserves. We stopped going to the resort for about 15 years using it for exchanges. Returned 2 years ago and were very pleased.

Harry

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I am pleased with these examples. I have a lot of experience with a large luxury condominium with as many or more amenities as most timeshares, and over the last 5-10 years it has just not been that hard to hold maintenance fees to little or no annual increase. 2016 maintenance fees are just 7% higher than they were 10 years ago, and we have had a number of very expensive capital projects. Reserves are not neglected. With the current dramatic decreases in energy costs it is now like taking candy from a baby to avoid most increases. It is not brain surgery, folks.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I saw the reduction. It was $695 last year, and I thought it was $695 this year. At any rate, if they knocked a few bucks off the price, it's imperceptibly small.
I can't wait for the refurbishment of the grounds. The plan is to create a kids play area once again, make a kids pool, triple the size of the jacuzzi, and extend the pool deck outward. They're going to upgrade furnishings... I think I saw a fire pit in the plan and a water feature.
I would like to see an investment in solar power-- this could be a no-cost investment.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I saw the reduction. It was $695 last year, and I thought it was $695 this year. At any rate, if they knocked a few bucks off the price, it's imperceptibly small.
I can't wait for the refurbishment of the grounds. The plan is to create a kids play area once again, make a kids pool, triple the size of the jacuzzi, and extend the pool deck outward. They're going to upgrade furnishings... I think I saw a fire pit in the plan and a water feature.
I would like to see an investment in solar power-- this could be a no-cost investment.

Solar power on the east coast is a high dollar initial investment item.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Solar power on the east coast is a high dollar initial investment item.

Not so in the Southwest. I believe Calif is still giving considerable credits for solar and San Clemente Inn has great roof top availability facing south to make it very reasonable. However I was unaware the board was considering this.

Harry

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

If they make a kids play area and new pool within the next year or so, we will be loving that place. Already my son really enjoys the mini golf and the large lawn area but he hates the pool (always too cold) and he could use more playtime with other kids.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they make a kids play area and new pool within the next year or so, we will be loving that place. Already my son really enjoys the mini golf and the large lawn area but he hates the pool (always too cold) and he could use more playtime with other kids.

We go to SCI every year.
In the summer, they heat the pool to about 78 or 80. In the off-season months, they keep the pool much cooler. (You can always ask Lisa to make the pool warmer when you're there. She might.)
I use the tennis court a lot. My biggest gripe about that is a simple one--- they need to get wind screens. It's a regular staple for a court-- the green net around the perimeter. It blocks glare from automobiles, blocks wind, and it gives a psuedo-sense of privacy. And, they're not very expensive. A wind screen around the court makes the thing look like a club court, as opposed to a city playground.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Our experience has been that the pool is still too chilly to use regardless of the season. Last summer when we were there we just used our day use at another nearby resort to use their pool instead.

78-80 is what a pool should be for competitive swimming. Cool enough that when you're vigorously working out you don't overheat. A relaxation pool (anything you can't do laps in) should be warmer. Most pools around me are 83 or so. Some might be 85 or so - the warmer pools are for some childrens pools (they have less body fat in average and get colder quicker) or for arthritis/rehab work.

USA Swimming explains:

Water Temperature
One of the most important features of facility design is the ability to vary water temperatures for specific populations and programs. Many articles have been written on this subject. Here are some general guidelines:

82 degree water (and lower)
Competitive swim team training
Adult aerobic lap swimming
High intensity vertical water exercise
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 78-80 degrees; never higher than 82 degrees. The more aerobic the activity, the lower the air temperature needs to be.

86 – 88 degree water
Learn-to-swim
Moderate vertical water exercise and water walking
Younger age (10-under) swim training
Low intensity lap swimming
Synchronized swimming
Diving
Recreational swimming
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 82-84 degrees; never higher than 84 degrees and slightly lower is OK.

90 – 92 degree water
Aquatic therapy
AiChi
Learn-to-swim for children
Diving
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 84 degrees; never higher than 84 degrees and slightly lower is OK.

95 degree water
Aquatic Therapy
WATSU
Ai-Chi
Learn-to-swim for preschool
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 84 degrees; never higher than 84 degrees and slightly lower is OK.
http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1755&mid=7713&ItemId=3551

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Ps
I agree with you about tennis court wind screens. They are very common where I live - even all the public city park tennis courts have them.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ps
I agree with you about tennis court wind screens. They are very common where I live - even all the public city park tennis courts have them.

Yes... the court is out in front of the resort-- in the parking lot. Without a wind screen, it looks no better than a run-down city park court.