• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Airline to Fly Into OGG

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have been looking at flights like crazy to book my flight for my trip for this August. I noticed a few flights on some of the airlines stated in the detail area, noted as a risky connection…

Would you stay clear of purchasing these tickets, a few of them were about $200 cheeper than the other flights….

thanks

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Where are you flying from?

The best deal is to get an Alaska Airlines Visa card. It costs $75 up front, but with 2-4 weeks, you'll get a companion certificate. If you buy one ticket, the 2nd is only $99. You can even use it for many multi-destination connections if they're all booked on the same ticket.

Google Flights is a very handy tool to find the best flights that suit you.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Where are you flying from?

The best deal is to get an Alaska Airlines Visa card. It costs $75 up front, but with 2-4 weeks, you'll get a companion certificate. If you buy one ticket, the 2nd is only $99. You can even use it for many multi-destination connections if they're all booked on the same ticket.

Google Flights is a very handy tool to find the best flights that suit you.

I'm flying out of Detroit (DTW) and the flights that I last looked at via Alaska were ones that I would have to stay overnight in either Seattle or LA, and that just adds to the total cost...

I do love flying Alaska and have done so in the past for flights into Seattle or cities on the west coast....thanks

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm flying out of Detroit (DTW) and the flights that I last looked at via Alaska were ones that I would have to stay overnight in either Seattle or LA, and that just adds to the total cost...

I do love flying Alaska and have done so in the past for flights into Seattle or cities on the west coast....thanks
As posted upthread, remember that you can use the companion fare on a multi-city itinerary. As long as you book it on one ticket, on routes operated by Alaska Airlines. So, for example, you could fly into Seattle and spend a some time vacationing there. Then get on your flight to OGG. Return from OGG to Seattle on a red eye, and make your connection to Detroit.

I ordinarily avoid red eye flights like the plague, but given the time change on your flight back from the islands you're probably going to be dealing with a red eye anyway if you can't get a direct flight - or you're going to be dealing with one of those close connecting flight situations.

Last edited:

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....

We are flying out of Detroit also next Nov. to go first to Honolulu and then onto Kauai.... We bought tickets for less then 1000.00 each that includes the flights to Kauai...... We fly DTW to Seattle 90 minute lay over.... Then onto HNL.... Stay in Honolulu for a week.... Fly to Kauai for 3 days fly back 90 minute layover... Seattle 90 minute layover and onto DTW....

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How far are you willing to go to get a free night at a hotel in Seattle? Here's one way:

1) join the Hilton Honors club (free)
2) book a Hilton reservation (free cancellation)
3) when it requests payment, you'll get this offer:

Earn a $50 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card. Plus, earn 50,000 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points
after you spend $750 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.

4) shortly after you charge $750 on the card, you'll get 50,000 points (there's no annual fee for the card)
5) cancel the reservation you already booked
6) book the reservation again, but this time use the points to pay for it

There's several HH hotels with free shuttle service to SeaTac. We like staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites. Whenever we're flying from MSP to Hawaii, we fly Alaska and book a multi-destination itinerary to include overnight stops on the west coast, usually Seattle.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We are flying out of Detroit also next Nov. to go first to Honolulu and then onto Kauai.... We bought tickets for less then 1000.00 each that includes the flights to Kauai...... We fly DTW to Seattle 90 minute lay over.... Then onto HNL.... Stay in Honolulu for a week.... Fly to Kauai for 3 days fly back 90 minute layover... Seattle 90 minute layover and onto DTW....
OGG is Maui, not Kauai.

There are a number of direct flights from the mainland into Maui (OGG)

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When going to Mau (OGG), we typically fly Hawaiian Airlines direct from Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu (HNL) and then catch another HNL flight to OGG.

Because prices were so much lower with United this last December, we fly from LAS to San Francisco (SFO) and then straight into OGG. This got us onto Maui a lot earlier in the day, which was really nice. We got to go to Costco, do some other shopping, and still checked into MOC a lot earlier than we normally do.

So, check out United flights direct into OGG from the mainland: skip HNL and Seattle.

Last edited:

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OGG is Maui, not Kauai.

There are a number of direct flights from the mainland into Maui (OGG)

I know but was thinking that if they did fly to HNL into OGG it could be without an overnight in Seattle and possibly cheaper....:shrug:Dave

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are going to Hawaii on Alaska airlines, all legs of the trip except from Honalulu to Maui one way on Hawaiian Air. Best itinerary best prices, and getting discounted air fare on Visa card. Also Bonus nights in Seattle with IHG points. Going in June!YAY!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going to Hawaii on Alaska airlines, all legs of the trip except from Honalulu to Maui one way on Hawaiian Air. Best itinerary best prices, and getting discounted air fare on Visa card. Also Bonus nights in Seattle with IHG points. Going in June!YAY!
Hmmm. Alaska does have direct flights from Seattle into OGG. Apparently it's cheaper to fly into HNL and pickup another carrier to OGG?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmm. Alaska does have direct flights from Seattle into OGG. Apparently it's cheaper to fly into HNL and pickup another carrier to OGG?
If you're staying on Oahu and Maui, the cheapest way is to book a multi-destination with Alaska from SEA->HNL and OGG->SEA. If you have Delta or American miles, you can use those for HNL->OGG for about 5000-7500 miles per person per segment. If you book early enough you can get HNL->OGG for about $80 on Hawaiian.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Depends on how you define "best." I, personally, would paid a few hundred bucks more for the itinerary with the shortest travel time. I'm flying from the Midwest, so shortening my commute from 16+ hours to 11.5 hours is worth every penny.

My only caveat is that I usually try to book a decent layover to accommodate any delays, especially in the winter. I think that the ideal layover is ~1.5 hours.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Depends on how you define "best." I, personally, would paid a few hundred bucks more for the itinerary with the shortest travel time. I'm flying from the Midwest, so shortening my commute from 16+ hours to 11.5 hours is worth every penny.

My only caveat is that I usually try to book a decent layover to accommodate any delays, especially in the winter. I think that the ideal layover is ~1.5 hours.

Boy, do I agree with you LisaRex! We live in FL and when flying to Hawaii, we fly AA nonstop from DFW. I never book less than a 2 hour layover because we upgrade with miles and I do NOT want to risk bad weather or any other kind of delay stressing me out and/or making us miss our connection to that wide body nonstop from Dallas. If it is longer than 2 hours we just pay for a day pass to the Admirals Club and chill.

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I totally agree.... That's why flying with Delta we have a 90 minute layover in Seattle each way.... I would much rather pay a bit more, but with us using multi-city we got our flights to Kauai included.... Way to long layover taking Alaska Airlines.... Dave:wave:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Any suggestions for New York to OGG - two week stay then HNL X 1 week and back to New York?
I am not opposed to spending the night in CA or Dallas on the way there.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Any suggestions for New York to OGG - two week stay then HNL X 1 week and back to New York?

Virgin America from NY with a stop in either SFX or LAX. They have been running some very good fare sales.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
My crew loves the United EWR to HNL and then we fly Hawaiian to Maui. The overnight return to the east coast with a stop over would be a bad idea for my DW. United flies a 767-400 with lay flat seats (international config) and that is worth every penny to us. Just my two cents...

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Virgin America from NY with a stop in either SFX or LAX. They have been running some very good fare sales.
Thanks, wil look into that.
My crew loves the United EWR to HNL and then we fly Hawaiian to Maui. The overnight return to the east coast with a stop over would be a bad idea for my DW. United flies a 767-400 with lay flat seats (international config) and that is worth every penny to us. Just my two cents...
I just saw that come up in a search. Possibly would look for that in return. I flew Hawaiian returning from Sydney thru HNL and the planes were not very comfortable.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

You could also look at Jet Blue direct NYC to the west coast (can't remember if it's SFO or OAK) then one of the less expensive flights OGG.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the fares because much depends on the dates but flying American through LAX is great because they fly the Airbus A321 Transcon from JFK to LAX. Great plane, only seats about 100 passengers, quick on/off, large extra main cabin extra section and awesome business/first with sleeper seats.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dont know about the fares because much depends on the dates but flying American through LAX is great because they fly the Airbus A321 Transcon from JFK to LAX. Great plane, only seats about 100 passengers, quick on/off, large extra main cabin extra section and awesome business/first with sleeper seats.

Week 1, 2017.
Flights will open up in the next few days.
But not rushing to book.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

+1

Virgin just announced they will be flying LAX-OGG and LAX-HNL.

Sent from my iPad