• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I'm starting to do a little dreaming about summer 2018. We'd like to take a "big" trip...somewhere a little further afield than New England. I do NOT want to go to Florida/Disney. What about Williamsburg? I have a couple of history buffs in my passel of 4 kids. What else is there to do in the area? I know NOTHING about it. Thanks for helping me dream a little!

And where would you stay? We travel with 4 kids, though the oldest will be a junior in college by that point, and may not join us. :(

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Williamsburg is in one of the most historically rich areas in the country. Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown are all worth visiting. A day trip to Norfolk to visit the Nautical Museum is a great option.

There is a Busch Gardens nearby and some smaller attractions (a go-karts place comes to mind). Shopping is pretty good and there are lots of restaurants ranging from small local places, national chains, and places that at least approach what most people would call "fine dining."

Mid-summer heat and humidity can be rather intense so you might want to avoid late July and August.

Williamsburg has a lot of timeshare resorts. Some research here on TUG should give you a pretty good idea on lodging, restaurants, and attractions. Rentals should be abundant.

Edit: I should add that we go to Williamsburg several times a year, mostly for long weekends like the one coming up and the one last month and NYE weekend, etc. It's a 2 to 2-1/2 hour drive. We have some places was always go and some where we'll never go again. Our first choice is Wyndham Governor's Green mostly because we have lots of Wyndham points.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Williamsburg is in one of the most historically rich areas in the country. Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown are all worth visiting. A day trip to Norfolk to visit the Nautical Museum is a great option.

There is a Busch Gardens nearby and some smaller attractions (a go-karts place comes to mind). Shopping is pretty good and there are lots of restaurants from small local places, national chains, and places that at least approach what most people would call "fine dining."

Mid-summer heat and humidity can be rather intense so you might want to avoid late July and August.

Williamsburg has a lot of timeshare resorts. Some research here on TUG should give you a pretty good idea. Rentals should be abundant.

Thanks! We visit Missouri to see my folks in August...we know heat and humidity. ;) I'm not worried about the dining, because we tend to eat in. I'd forgotten Norfolk was within driving distance. My husband was stationed there for a bit while in the Navy....might be fun for the kids to see. Half the fun of vacation is dreaming about what you might do, isn't it? :banana:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Thanks! We visit Missouri to see my folks in August...we know heat and humidity. ;) I'm not worried about the dining, because we tend to eat in. I'd forgotten Norfolk was within driving distance. My husband was stationed there for a bit while in the Navy....might be fun for the kids to see. Half the fun of vacation is dreaming about what you might do, isn't it? :banana:

It is unlikely to be as oppressive as Missouri in August. My wife refuses to acknowledge we were on vacation if she had to cook!

A Norfolk harbor tour might be interesting to see the ships from the waterside. I'm a retired Naval Officer and can still gain access to military bases. Last month, we went down to Norfolk to the monstrous Navy Exchange and did a quick drive along the piers. Some of the ships there didn't look anything like those I served on. A couple of carriers were in port -- jaw-droppingly large ships, even after having spent countless hours 1,000 yards astern of them in the Gulf of Tonkin.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Norfolk is the largest U.S. Navy naval port in the world. Williamsburg has also one of the most beautiful theme park in the USA, Busch Gardens. Plus there is a water theme park caused Water Country USA.

Also, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation will running an ads during the Super Bowl, February 7,2016.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
wllmbg has a lot to offer for a family trip. There is a lot to seein Colonial Wllmb--if you trade into a TS for 2018, consider buying BOGO Colonial Wllbg annual passes Thanksg weekend 2017. The Busch Gardens in Wllmbg is very nice--think a step down from WDW, but nicer than other theme parks (IMHO)--a multi-day/season pass is usually less than $100. For a weeklong trip, I would consider adding BG and that would be a fairly full week. There is also Jamestown nearby. We also like Gov Green and Greensprings for RCI, and Marriott for II. If you are driving, you might consider stopping in DC (or the burbs) and visit the museums for a day or two. There are hotels that sleep 6 that are near metro and offer shuttles. Springfield, VA is right off I95 and has metro to DC, or you could stay further north in MD, near Baltimore and take the MARC right into DC. BWI hotels would likely have discounts on weekends and the MARC from BWI to DC is only 25 minutes.
We live 2 hrs away, and guess where we are planning for summer 2017--Maine and NH--lol!

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Summer is way too hot and crowded in Williamsburg.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summer is way too hot and crowded in Williamsburg.

Tony...you're quite a traveler, I believe. I think you get the gist of the kind of trip we're thinking of...something a little more "touristy" than what we usually do. (We generally go somewhere in ME, NH, or VT...occasionally PA...but that's about as far as we venture. Our trips tend to be what my kids lovingly call "low-budget operations." Thinking bigger than that this time!) We'd like to stay within either one very long day's drive, or a day and a half at the outside from midcoast Maine. Kneejerk reaction...where would you suggest? We are RCI members, so are looking to trade into somewhere. It would be summer, as we stay at Cold Spring for spring break.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wllmbg has a lot to offer for a family trip. There is a lot to seein Colonial Wllmb--if you trade into a TS for 2018, consider buying BOGO Colonial Wllbg annual passes Thanksg weekend 2017. The Busch Gardens in Wllmbg is very nice--think a step down from WDW, but nicer than other theme parks (IMHO)--a multi-day/season pass is usually less than $100. For a weeklong trip, I would consider adding BG and that would be a fairly full week. There is also Jamestown nearby. We also like Gov Green and Greensprings for RCI, and Marriott for II. If you are driving, you might consider stopping in DC (or the burbs) and visit the museums for a day or two. There are hotels that sleep 6 that are near metro and offer shuttles. Springfield, VA is right off I95 and has metro to DC, or you could stay further north in MD, near Baltimore and take the MARC right into DC. BWI hotels would likely have discounts on weekends and the MARC from BWI to DC is only 25 minutes.
We live 2 hrs away, and guess where we are planning for summer 2017--Maine and NH--lol!

Thanks for the tip about discounted tickets! I know to buy Storyland, NH season passes on Black Friday, but I would not have thought about Williamsburg passes, too.

Where are you thinking of for summer 2017? We generally stay in New England...summer 2017 is Mount Snow (VT), Cold Spring (NH), and Smuggs! Plus our obligatory trip back to MO to see family. New England in summer is hard to beat!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Williamsburg. We started going when our kids were young, and now sometimes we go on our own. Very relaxing, but lots to do when you feel like going out. Perfect for families!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The gold standard in Williamsburg timeshare resorts is Marrott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We went a long time ago, but it was in April for Easter week. Really liked Williamsburg and the Jamestown archeological dig. Took a trip down to Virginia Beach. Then we also went to Busch Gardens. You can easily keep busy for a week.

We stayed at Powhaten Plantation.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we go to Wllbg for a couple weekends every summer. It's fine. Colonial Wllmb never really feels crowded b/c you walk around outdoors. BG is crowded like any theme park, but if you get a pass, go for a few hours in the AM or go in the PM, go on a few rides, see some shows, fireworks, etc., it is fine. Wllmbg is a very good bang for the family vacation buck if you buy BOGO Wllmb passes and BG passes, and stay in a TS, IMHO. If you haven't been, I would go. It's no more hot and humid than any other place on the East Coast. Think 90 degrees/90 percent humidity. But, you can come back in the afternoon and hop in the pool.
We are going to drive to Boston, then to Acadia, then stay in a TS (TBD) in the NH mtns. Based on Tug recommendations, we are looking at the Lincoln, NH area, but are open to other ideas. We have 3 older teens. We like mountain scnenery, hiking, exploring, fishing, kayaking, white water rafting, day trip touring around. We went to Banff, CA last year and love it--so trying to find something like that that we can drive to. We have been to Smuggs and loved it, so something like that, but in a different area (as we have done Trapp, Ben-Jerrys, Montreal, etc.).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
we go to Wllbg for a couple weekends every summer. It's fine. Colonial Wllmb never really feels crowded b/c you walk around outdoors. BG is crowded like any theme park, but if you get a pass, go for a few hours in the AM or go in the PM, go on a few rides, see some shows, fireworks, etc., it is fine. Wllmbg is a very good bang for the family vacation buck if you buy BOGO Wllmb passes and BG passes, and stay in a TS, IMHO. If you haven't been, I would go. It's no more hot and humid than any other place on the East Coast. Think 90 degrees/90 percent humidity. But, you can come back in the afternoon and hop in the pool.
We are going to drive to Boston, then to Acadia, then stay in a TS (TBD) in the NH mtns. Based on Tug recommendations, we are looking at the Lincoln, NH area, but are open to other ideas. We have 3 older teens. We like mountain scnenery, hiking, exploring, fishing, kayaking, white water rafting, day trip touring around. We went to Banff, CA last year and love it--so trying to find something like that that we can drive to. We have been to Smuggs and loved it, so something like that, but in a different area (as we have done Trapp, Ben-Jerrys, Montreal, etc.).

I would definitely pick Lincoln. It is central to everything- right off 93. A hop, skip and a jump into Franconia Notch and the White Mountains and Mt. Washington. Easy access to the Kanc - an experience in and of itself. And you can drive straight through on the Kanc to North Conway, too. (North Conway is very crowded in summer.) Lost River and Woodstock nearby. There is a local theater guild. There is a movie theater, supermarket and other shopping and a few restaurants making it very convenient.

We always take a run down to the Lakes Region- about an hour away- to Winnepausuake and Squam. Over the years we have taken a lot of trips from Lincoln to other parts of NH as well.

For lodging, in Lincoln you have Pollard Brook, where we own, and South Mountain- which is really nice and has the walkability factor. Of course, Loon is there as well.Nothing is like Smuggs, but Pollard Brook offers a few low-fee based activities. But you can do most everything on your own. The pools are nice at PB and SM. They have good gyms and game rooms as well.

Have fun!

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went a long time ago, but it was in April for Easter week. Really liked Williamsburg and the Jamestown archeological dig. Took a trip down to Virginia Beach. Then we also went to Busch Gardens. You can easily keep busy for a week.

We stayed at Powhaten Plantation.

To the OP, this is my opinion/suggestion only, if you are going to DRI/Powhatan Vacation Resort please ask for an updated villa.

Williamsburg is a very nice city to visit.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm starting to do a little dreaming about summer 2018. We'd like to take a "big" trip...somewhere a little further afield than New England. I do NOT want to go to Florida/Disney. What about Williamsburg? I have a couple of history buffs in my passel of 4 kids. What else is there to do in the area? I know NOTHING about it. Thanks for helping me dream a little!

And where would you stay? We travel with 4 kids, though the oldest will be a junior in college by that point, and may not join us. :(

If you're going to consider a trip to Williamsburg, maybe consider adding a few days (or a second week) and venture a couple of hours south from there to see the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Miles of beaches, Kitty Hawk, the Wright Brothers, and all that sort of thing. Your kids would certainly enjoy a trip there.

I'm doing the same thing myself later this Spring. Flying into DC, renting a car to drive down to southern Virginia and on to the Outer Banks for a week, then make our way back to DC for a second week. It'll be a great trip.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going to consider a trip to Williamsburg, maybe consider adding a few days (or a second week) and venture a couple of hours south from there to see the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Miles of beaches, Kitty Hawk, the Wright Brothers, and all that sort of thing. Your kids would certainly enjoy a trip there.

I'm doing the same thing myself later this Spring. Flying into DC, renting a car to drive down to southern Virginia and on to the Outer Banks for a week, then make our way back to DC for a second week. It'll be a great trip.

Dave

To the OP during the summer months on the OBX(Outer Banks,NC) the population could reach up to 300,000.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seven days during the summer won't give you enough time to see everything unless you want to be worn out when you get home.

Plan on Colonial Williamsburg for two or three days if you want to see all of the main attractions and see some performances during the day and at night.

Jamestown can be done in one full day for both sites.

Yorktown isn't as elaborate and can be done in a half day.

Busch Gardens is a must visit and again you probably want more than one day.

You are now out of days.

If you can do it for two weeks stop in DC on the way down or back for up to a full week. Maybe do that instead of Williamsburg if you haven't done so yet.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Seven days during the summer won't give you enough time to see everything unless you want to be worn out when you get home.

Plan on Colonial Williamsburg for two or three days if you want to see all of the main attractions and see some performances during the day and at night.

You are now out of days.

If you can do it for two weeks stop in DC on the way down or back for up to a full week. Maybe do that instead of Williamsburg if you haven't done so yet.

We went for 8 days/7 nights with no problem. Hell, we went to places like Arizona, Scotland, Alaska, Florida, Maine, St. Lucia- most all our trips, except for Hawaii, were 8 days/7 nights and we saw an awful lot and even had a little down time. Just a matter of prioritizing what you want to see and do most and pacing yourself.

Last edited:

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia Beach is nearby and a great place to rent bikes and ride up and down the beachfront.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You are now out of days.

Our vacation strategy is usually "assume we'll come back someday." If we only see Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, that's fine. Better to do a couple of things, enjoy them, and not be totally wiped out when we return home. Now to just wait until we get to the two years out window, so we can watch for places to stay. The thrill of the hunt! ;)

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it in the thread but you can get "bounce" passes combining admission to Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country USA and Busch Gardens. Also Yorktown National Battlefield is very close as are some James River Plantations. Monticello is a two hour drive day trip but can be worthwhile if you haven't already visited there.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our vacation strategy is usually "assume we'll come back someday." If we only see Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, that's fine. Better to do a couple of things, enjoy them, and not be totally wiped out when we return home. Now to just wait until we get to the two years out window, so we can watch for places to stay. The thrill of the hunt! ;)

We like Water Country better than Busch Gardens. If you're going to just one (especially in the heat of the summer), you might want to go with Water Country. Have fun!

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it in the thread but you can get "bounce" passes combining admission to Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country USA and Busch Gardens. Also Yorktown National Battlefield is very close as are some James River Plantations. Monticello is a two hour drive day trip but can be worthwhile if you haven't already visited there.

We are going to Williamsburg in May and I couldn't find the bounce passes when I searched recently. I'd like to get those if they are still available.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Williamsburg in May and I couldn't find the bounce passes when I searched recently. I'd like to get those if they are still available.

Check Colonial Williamsburg or Busch Garden web site.