• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Vacation points vs weeks question

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin has gone to a timeshare presentation at our (we both own there) home resort of Carriage Hills. She agreed to convert her weeks to Shell points without buying additional property or increasing the number of points aside from what they offered her for the weeks.

While she still has time to back out I am asking on her behalf....

1) What are the difficulties one faces when using points over weeks.

2) Changing to points with Shell, now International Intervals(II) is the trading partner as opposed to RCI. In practice what are both the positive and negative differences in using either trading company?

This is good for me to know as well since I am still hanging on to my weeks.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
1.) I read one case where the person who changed their Hawaii week to points did not have enough points to book that same week. I'm not sure why it worked out like that. They regretted switching to points.

2.) I'm new to Shell and II, but am very happy with the trading. There are a lot of different resorts that I would enjoy that my Shell points will trade into.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We own three non shell weeks at a shell resort. The offer to convert our weeks to pts was terrible. Our MFs would go way up and the number of pts we would get would not allow us to make reservations on the best weeks in our current seasons, only on the average of the weeks in our seasons.

we turned them down flat.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Your cousin should rescind while she can. It doesn't matter how much she paid because the value cannot be worth the cost. Look at eBay for a clue on the value of the Shell product. I love Shell myself, but people who buy retails are not so enamored, apparently, because they are paying to get rid of their points.

I have not ever regretted for a moment my "purchase" of Shell on eBay: free usage, free closing and free transfer. All 12,225 points. I get six housekeepings per year, and I get almost every benefit of Shell that members get.

The fees are high, but the value matches the fees, in my opinion. I would own California Club or Hawaii Club because the fees are lower than the others, and I like the ability to book California resorts way ahead of everyone else. It's a wonderful system.

Trading through II has been awesome for us. We traded into a 2 bed Marriott over July 4th on Maui this year. We also traded into a Marriott's Kauai Beach Club 2 bedroom for next month, and a Westin Ka'anapali for 6/9/2013, too. I am extremely happy with the trading power in II. It's been better than I expected. I still wish Shell would go back to RCI and let us book DVC through RCI Points. It was a great benefit for us.