• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Top 10 Timeshare Questions! (new idea page)

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure --there is always someone to 'bumps' a long lost thread ... love it ... way to go 'swift'

-To FIX or FLOAT - that is the question
-Perry's 101 ways to get that week that you really want (step one- buy a MUD week somewhere else you will never use ...step two ... )
-I like clean -- Just can't stand paying maintenance fees - is there something wrong with me? ( sub-title - How I learned to pay HIGH MF's and now enjoy clean , neat & new )
-Steamboat Bill ( and others ) way to calculate your true cost per night (5% of upfront cost + MF's ) divided by 7 =
-what places take pets
-what s the longest presentation you sat thru for a beach towel? Bonus points if you can confirm the salesman has left the industry

and my last - why doesn't TUG embrace WIKI's ?? ( eg wikipedia )

Merry Christmas
Greg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and my last - why doesn't TUG embrace WIKI's ?? ( eg wikipedia )

Merry Christmas
Greg

this one is an easy answer, because the last thing I want to do is add yet ANOTHER login and password for TUGGERS.

if we can come up with a way to incoroprate it into the member only system, we can go that route.

Sadly thats all custom stuff though.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
this one is an easy answer, because the last thing I want to do is add yet ANOTHER login and password for TUGGERS.

if we can come up with a way to incoroprate it into the member only system, we can go that route.

Sadly thats all custom stuff though.

But just imagine the data we could build for each resort and each system -- maybe next year ... :)

Wiki's can assemble a lot of great info that is otherwise scattered in the message board

Greg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How do I find out the trading power of my timeshare?

You can't - the exchange companies don't tell. If they tell you - they have to kill you! :D

However, you can find out what other owners from your resort(s) can "see" with their timeshares on the TUG Sightings Board, right below the lounge. And you can ask for sightings from other owners at your resort. You can also search online yourself.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
But just imagine the data we could build for each resort and each system -- maybe next year ... :)

Wiki's can assemble a lot of great info that is otherwise scattered in the message board

Greg

Wiki's are good for a lot of things but timeshare info too fluid. Too much change/variation. Once you figure something out it changes. Example: I own a So. African week that used to be a great trader but now it SUCKS! :) Maybe next year it will change. We have to stay nimble. :)

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wiki's are good for a lot of things but timeshare info too fluid. Too much change/variation. Once you figure something out it changes. Example: I own a So. African week that used to be a great trader but now it SUCKS! :) Maybe next year it will change. We have to stay nimble. :)

Hi

I don't want to hijack the thread to just Wiki -- but ...

1) Wiki does NOT replace a message board -lots of chat on what is happening right now - like you trading power this week or otjer chit chat works best on a board.

2) Wiki DOES make a fantastic KNOWLEDGE BASE that allows others to drill down to see info - for example - What is the overall company like ( say Intrawest) - Then how does the program work in extreme detail - detail that is user updatable ( I wonder if all understand that YOU add the details on a Wiki , YOU do the updating ). We have some pretty nice 'stickies' on the forum + we have great user pages like resale prices or other similar pages kept off site ...all this data can be rolled into one format.

Sorry for being such an evangelist on Wiki's ... :)

If nothing else - can 1,000 of you reading this -- go to www.wikipedia.org and register and figure out how to EDIT a Wiki article on your home town or something else you know lots about ...then Wiki's start to grow on you ( like a fungus? ) and you become delusional , like me ---and you see things everywhere that could be made better with Wiki's .. ( end of soft rant ..:)

Greg

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Wiki, Shmickey.

I don't want to hijack the thread to just Wiki
Shux, why not ?

I mean, topic hijacking is traditional here at TUG-BBS. I do it all the time.

Meanwhile, whussup with Wiki ?

Is that anything like Twitter ?

Wii ?

(Not that I have any idea whussup with Twitter or Wii.)

By the time I start to figure out current & happening stuff like that, it's passé.

For example, I went with Betamax while the rest of the world went with VHS. Now VHS too is going, going, GONE !

Sheesh.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I wasn't asking the question, just suggesting it for the list of questions. i guess it was a poorly written suggestion.:(

You can't - the exchange companies don't tell. If they tell you - they have to kill you! :D

However, you can find out what other owners from your resort(s) can "see" with their timeshares on the TUG Sightings Board, right below the lounge. And you can ask for sightings from other owners at your resort. You can also search online yourself.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this one is way up on my list to do =)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Guzzidave

Reaction score
I've just been cold-called by..... Is it a scam?

That surely has to be the number one question that I've seen on timeshare message boards.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Whoa -- They Never Told Me The F. A. Q.s Are D. I. Y. Sheesh.

OK, if I want something done right I guess I've got to do it myself. So here goes . . .

Question 2: How do I rent my timeshare?
Answer: Click here for the sticky.

Question 3: Should I convert my RCI Week to RCI Points?
Answer: No -- unless conversion is free or extremely cheap.

Question 4: Is RCI Points better than RCI Weeks? What are the differences?
Answer: Is Coca Cola better than Pepsi? Is Toyota better than Honda? Is Panasonic better than Sony? Is Mac better than PC? Different people have different preferences. Just study up & decide which suits you better.

Question 5: I have (any system) points that are about to expire. What can/should I do with them?
Answer: Take a "surprise" vacation. Or pay a little something to extend them a while longer.

Question 6: I know timeshare resales are cheaper, but arent there advantages to buying new?
Answer: No. Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money.

Question 7: What points system is the best for me?
Answer: Doilar for dollar, resale Wyndham FairShare Plus is the best timeshare points system. (Key word is resale. )

Question 8: Can I donate my timeshare to charity and get a tax deduction?
Answer: Yes -- but it's not automatic. Plus, the timeshare has to be free & clear with all fees paid & nothing owing or no charity will take it.

Question 9: Are Marriott/HGVC/Starwood/etc properties worth the extra cost?
Answer: Not if you buy them from Marriott/HGVC/Starwood/etc. If you buy them resale for nickels on the full-freight dollar, then they might be worth it if they're your particular cup of tea.

Question 10: If I only want to use a week for trading purposes, what should I buy?
Answer: Summertime coastal California, any summertime week in Wisconsin, just about anything around Clearwater FL. Otherwise, try leasing points (3 years RTU, renewable) for points-based exchanges. Or get a low-cost overseas week & use that as trade bait.

Question 11: I just purchased a timeshare from a developer. How do I get out of the purchase?
Answer: Precisely follow the rescission instructions before the rescission period runs out.

Question 12: Which is better, RCI or II?
Answer: I'm strictly RCI, so I have no I-I experience to offer.

Question 13: What timeshare purchase is best for me and my family? (How to buy a timeshare)
Answer: The question is too broad. However, as long as you buy resale you're apt to do OK.

Question 14: How do I find the best resale price for a timeshare?
Answer: You've got to shop around. eBay is a good place to start.

Question 15: How do I get the best exchanges?
Answer: A more realistic question is How Do I Get Good Exchanges? The answer is be realistic & use a decent timeshare as trade bait (i.e., nice location, desirable season, etc. -- the kind you'd actually enjoy going to yourself).

Question 16: I just bought a timeshare from (insert name here) did I get a good deal?
Answer: Mox nix -- unless you're still in the rescission period & can get out of it. If you bought resale, chances are you did OK. If you bought from a timeshare company, you paid way too much.

Question 17: Is it safe to buy a timeshare on Ebay or Craigslist?
Answer: Sure. Just go with a professional timeshare closing services agency which makes sure all the Eyes are dotted & all the Tees are crossed & sees to it that everything is on the up & up.

Question 18: How do I protect myself if I buy a timeshare on the internet?
Answer: Go with a professional timeshare closing services agency which makes sure all the Eyes are dotted & all the Tees are crossed & sees to it that everything is on the up & up.

Question 19: What special access do I get to TUG by joining as a member?
Answer: You can read resort reviews, etc., & add a little picture to your TUG-BBS user-name block.

Question 20: What is a timeshare and how many different types are there?
Answer: It's like a vacation condo, except you are the owner only during the particular week that you buy. The rest of the time, it belongs to other people.

Question 21: Is a timeshare an asset or a liability?
Answer: Both. As an asset, it makes possible luxury vacation accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates. As a liability, it requires ongoing payment of annual fees as long as you're the owner.

Question 22: Is a new timeshare worth more than a used timeshare?
Answer: There is no such thing as a new timeshare. By the time you show up & check in, other people will have been staying right there in your unit. All timeshares are used-used-used -- just 1 more reason it makes no sense to pay full freight for a so-called new item that in reality is no such thing.

Question 23: What is ROFR and how does it support the resale value of my timeshare?
Answer: ROFR is a right retained by the original seller (i.e., the timeshare company) to step in & buy back the timeshare at the price for which you have agreed to sell it to a 3rd party. Either the timeshare company swoops in & buys the timeshare out from under the person who was getting ready to buy it from you, or the timeshare company "waives" ROFR & you get to go ahead & sell the timeshare to the 3rd party as agreed. ROFR does not support resale values. In fact, its purpose is to let the timeshare company & only the timeshare company snap up the el cheapo bargains. They're still bargains & they still sell el cheapo irrespective of ROFR. A seller gets no more money via ROFR than without ROFR. Under ROFR, all that happens is that regular walking around resale timeshare buyers get shut out of the process. Regular walking around timeshare sellers don't get 1 nickel more via ROFR than they would have received otherwise. Because of that fact, & because timeshare company representatives frequently say (with a straight face) that the purpose of ROFR is to keep resale prices from going too low, it can be said with complete accuracy that ROFR = ROFL.

Question 24: Is it ok to take timeshare tours for the gifts when you have no intention of buying a timeshare?
Answer: Absolutely.

Question 25: If I join II or RCI, can I trade my timeshare week for a week at any other resort?
Answer: You can snag some outstanding trades if you work at it & have a bit of luck. It's a moving target, however, & there are no guarantees. Some timeshare sellers plant the idea that you can exchange into any timeshare in the I-I or RCI book any time you want. Sorry to say, that's not how it is.

Question 26: If I get tired of my timeshare, do I have to keep paying the fees?
Answer: Yes.

Question 27: When i'm finished with my timeshare, can I just give it back to the resort?
Answer: Maybe -- but it's not automatic. If the timeshare is paid off & all fees & assessments are up to date, the resort might take it back. But they are under no obligation to accept deedbacks. If you're really finished with it, it can't hurt to ask.

Question 28: If I own a "floating week", am I guaranteed any week I want every year?
Answer: No. Some float systems cover only off-season weeks. Others cover the whole year, but it's 1st come 1st served & the choicest weeks get snapped up earliest. Not only that, if you wait too late in the year to put in a reservation request, you risk getting shut out entirely even though you paid all fees on time. Floating weeks are like musical chairs -- every week that goes by removes 1 week's worth of units from the year's remaining available supply, meaning all the owners who have not yet nailed down their time are competing for a steadily shrinking pool. Reserve early & enjoy your floating week timeshare.

Question 29: If I own a "fixed week", can I just show up and check in on the appropriate day?
Answer: Maybe. Some timeshares require owners to sign up for their fixed weeks, crazy as that sounds. In any case, it's best before showing up to make a call & see that all is in order for your fixed-week timeshare vacation.

Question 30: If I wont be using my unit, will my resort rent out my unit and send me the money?
Answer: Not automatically. Some timeshares have owner-rental programs, buy those aren't free. If you handle your own rentals, you don't pay any commissions.

Question 31: When im on vacation, am I required to attend the owner meetings?
Answer: No. In fact, many "owner updates," etc., are nothing more than high-pressure timeshare sales presentations in disguise.

Question 32: I just won a timeshare online, what is the next step in the process to obtain ownership?
Answer: Get in touch with a timeshare closing services agency. In some cases, however, eBay timeshare sellers require going with their own closing services agencies -- but that should be spelled out in the item description you saw before you put in your eBay bid.

Question 33: The Salesman told me that my purchase would be a good investment, is that true?
Answer: As an investment in fun vacations, yes. As a financial investment, no.

Question 34: The Salesman told me the developer would sell my unit at a profit in the future if I ever wanted to sell, is that true?
Answer: No.

Question 35: The information I was told in my presentation does not match what I learned here on TUG and by reading my contract. What can I do to get my money back if my recission period is over?
Answer: Nothing. After the rescission period is over, you're stuck.

Question 36: I feel I am a victim of Timeshare Fraud, can the BBB or any government agencies help?
Answer: Get in line.

Question 37: Are there limits on how much my annual maint fees can increase?
Answer: No.

Question 38: Is my Timeshare Homeowners Association really representing my best interests?
Answer: If the HOA is controlled by the timeshare company, it is mainly looking out for the timeshare company's best financial interestes. If the HOA is owner-controlled, then its duty is to represent the best interests of you & all your fellow owners at the timeshare.

Question 39: Can the timeshare developer change the rules for exchanging whenever they like?
Answer: Read the deed. What's in the deed & in the original Public Offering Statement cannot be changed arbitrarily. Everything else is controlled by the timeshare company.

Question 40: Can the timeshare developer change the rules for reserving weeks whenever they like?
Answer: Read the deed. What's in the deed & in the original Public Offering Statement cannot be changed arbitrarily. Everything else is controlled by the timeshare company.

Question 41: What happens if I stop paying for my timeshare?
Answer: Bill collectors. Lawsuits. Wage garnishment. Seizure of assets. Credit rating damage. All sorts of unpleasantness.

Question 42: What is the difference between a timeshare fixed and floating week and which is right for me?
Answer: Fixed means the same week year after year. Floating means take your pick of available weeks during the whole year or some major portion of the year, 1st come 1st served. Prime season fixed weeks are outstanding. Mud season fixed weeks, not so much. Floating weeks mean you're not locked into the same week every year, but the best weeks get taken 1st so you've got to stay on top of it to get a good week that fits your schedule.

Question 43: Can I take my pet to my timeshare?
Answer: Generally, no. A few timeshares have some pet friendly buildings.

Question 44: How do I find out the trading power of my timeshare?
Answer: Bigger units at fancypants resorts during prime season have strong trade power. Dinky units at humble resorts during off season have feeble trading power. In-between units have in-between power. Actual power is variable -- a moving target with hidden criteria. After a few years, you'll start to get the hang of it.

Question 45: Is Brian the coolest person you know?
Answer: Sometimes, maybe -- if he ever gets round to finishing the Top 10 Timeshare Questions page, which has dragged on for so long that it's currently up to the Top 45 Timeshare Questions.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Question 24: Is it ok to take timeshare tours for the gifts when you have no intention of buying a timeshare?
Answer: Absolutely.

I disagree. I place a very high value on my time. And I double it during vacation.

Anybody who would waste even one hour during vacation simply does not understand the value of life.

So, sure. It's ethical. But it's also a complete and utter waste time -- completely guaranteed to ruin at least one day of a precious, precious vacation. No show ticket, dinner voucher or beach blanket is worth the aggravation -- unless of course you are one of those kooks who enjoys fighting with sales people.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry, i have to create the pages for each of the answers, so itll take a bit of time. been busy on another project as of late regarding the marketplace.

tuc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I place a very high value on my time. And I double it during vacation.

Anybody who would waste even one hour during vacation simply does not understand the value of life.

So, sure. It's ethical. But it's also a complete and utter waste time

But the question was is it OK, not is it recommended.

It sounds like you would agree, presuming that's what s/he really wanted to do, that it's perfectly fine for her/im to attend the timeshare tour.

S/he shouldn't say, "Well I'd really like to go and get the freebie, but it wouldn't be right because I have no intention to buy," right?

(Of course the tour will likely take longer than promised.)

What I don't understand are the agents who sit behind podiums (podia?) in parking lots and the lobbies of breakfast buffet restaurants. They earn their commission even when they send a person who they know has zero chance of buying. I have no problem with that, but I would think the timeshare companies would. It strikes me as borderline unethical (for the agent, not for the tourist).

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
What I don't understand are the agents who sit behind podiums (podia?) in parking lots and the lobbies of breakfast buffet restaurants. They earn their commission even when they send a person who they know has zero chance of buying. I have no problem with that, but I would think the timeshare companies would. It strikes me as borderline unethical (for the agent, not for the tourist).

That isn't an agent. That's an OPC -- Off Premise Contact/Canvasser. The OPC's job is to lure sucker people in for a presentation with promises of gifts galore for just one hour 90 minutes the bulk of your day.

OPCs are generally paid a set amount for each live couple they can push in front of a salesman. A good OPC will get five or more couples per day. They're paid around $150 per couple, minus whatever the crappy gifts cost (Typically $50 -- so they make $100 per couple). With most companies, the OPCs are free to haggle. Increasing the payoff until they get a bite. Other companies have a "set" gift and simply pay "X" per live body. Should the couple buy, there is often a bonus involved.

The OPC is supposed to tell the couple that they're going to a timeshare tour, and it will take X hours/minutes. And they're also supposed to scope out the couple and not send anyone who's drunk, or obviously too poor to purchase. (If the OPC sends a "garbage tour", the timeshare salesman will scream bloody murder to his manager. If the manager agrees, the tour is "NQ'ed" (not qualified). The OPC doesn't make his money and has to pay for whatever gift he promised.)

The timeshare developer knows damned well that the OPCs are saying whatever it takes to put bodies into chairs. OPCs are generally not licensed and are there for the easy money. ($2,000-$3,000 a week just for giving away free stuff is quite a salary for many people.) The timeshare developer calculates productivity by VPG (volume per guest). Everyone in the company has to keep their average up or they are fired. It's usually around $1,000 per live body for the salesmen, and less (around $750) for the OPCs.

If an OPC constantly sends "dirtbags," his VPG will plummet, and he'll have to find a new developer. Eventually, OPCs learn how to send the right mix of people to keep his VPG up. If you ever want an OPC to stop hassling you on vacation, ask him or her, "What's your VPG?" You will then be asked what company you work for. Make something up and enjoy the rest of your day hassle free.

As for the people who tour with no intention to buy -- the OPCs have a term for them. It's rather offensive, though. (What do you call someone walking the street who is willing to do something very unpleasant for $50?)

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Edit.

I wish I would have found TUG before I bought my first timeshare!
Quote inside box should be . . .

I wish I had found TUG before I bought my first timeshare !

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Bill4728

Reaction score
For question 11
Question 11: I just purchased a timeshare from a developer. How do I get out of the purchase?

Here is the how to rescind thread. how to rescind