• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Most economical points account ownership

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to the whole idea of points I am a weeks owner so I have a fixed weeks account I know having a points account will allow me more availability.

I think the only way to get into DVC timeshares on RCI is a points account.

Thanks to all who respond.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually consider a penny of MF per point a pretty good target to aim for. VV @ Parkway & Grandview Las Vegas that have been converted pretty consistently meet that. Consequently, that has driven up the buy-in price of those, but they're still around.

Jim

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the heads up from what I am seeing on the weeks accounts in RCI the highest TPUs are with an orlando ownership 3 bedroom lockout week 52

I would think since its still RCI a points ownership with a resort that would have one of these would still be the best bang for the buck but maybe I am off the mark here I know little about points ownership.

thanks again for the reply

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I think the only way to get into DVC timeshares on RCI is a points account.
Pretty sure that's not true. You don't need points in particular; you can trade into DVC with weeks. You need a lot of TPU (52 or something I think) but you can still do that with weeks. If you already have weeks then I would say stay with weeks so you can combine deposits more easily.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's not true. You don't need points in particular; you can trade into DVC with weeks. You need a lot of TPU (52 or something I think) but you can still do that with weeks. If you already have weeks then I would say stay with weeks so you can combine deposits more easily.

Ya thanks for the heads up RCI just confirmed this and there is only one availability for weeks deposit and the resort has semi bad reviews on rci

lol

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
thanks for the heads up from what I am seeing on the weeks accounts in RCI the highest TPUs are with an orlando ownership 3 bedroom lockout week 52

I would think since its still RCI a points ownership with a resort that would have one of these would still be the best bang for the buck but maybe I am off the mark here I know little about points ownership.

thanks again for the reply

Don't buy in Orlando, if you are hoping to trade into DVC. There is a regional block for Orlando resorts. And DVC is only depositing one bedrooms, almost all are at Saratoga Springs, so it's pretty tough to get anything else lately, and 2 bedrooms are non-existent in the last year. Very disappointing, but at least there are still the 1 bedrooms at Saratoga, for those who only want Disney.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't buy in Orlando, if you are hoping to trade into DVC. There is a regional block for Orlando resorts. And DVC is only depositing one bedrooms, almost all are at Saratoga Springs, so it's pretty tough to get anything else lately, and 2 bedrooms are non-existent in the last year. Very disappointing, but at least there are still the 1 bedrooms at Saratoga, for those who only want Disney.

Can you explain regional block?? If I was guessing then it would mean that RCI blocks trading into DVC if your deposit was an orlando based resort.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Can you explain regional block?? If I was guessing then it would mean that RCI blocks trading into DVC if your deposit was an orlando based resort.

Yes, any deposited resort within about 30 miles of Dis.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
oh well

looks like I won't be staying in DVC timeshares because big orlando lockoff units trade on average the best from what i have seen.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, any deposited resort within about 30 miles of Dis.

Just spoke to rci they said 50 miles but i have been misinformed by reps there in the past on things none the less good to know

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You just can't put 'economical' and 'Disney' in the same sentence. The game is rigged.

Jim

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
You just can't put 'economical' and 'Disney' in the same sentence. The game is rigged.

Jim

Very much agreed I guess the conversation kind of derailed

thanks to everyone who replied

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the only way to get into DVC timeshares on RCI is a points account.....
It is possible to trade into DVC with either an RCI Points account or an RCI weeks account. However, seeing a DVC unit just sitting online is much more likely with an RCI Points account than with an RCI Weeks account.

Most of the deposits at DVC lately have been at Saratoga Springs. That is the largest DVC resort (by far) and Disney has much better availability there than at their other Orlando resorts. The other day, I did see an Old Key West one-bedroom online, using my RCI Points account.

I figure I pay $700 or less for each one-bedroom DVC week I get, including the cost of my MFs on the TPUs (or RCI Points) I use for the trade, RCI's exchange fee and Disney's $95 resort fee. That is not as cheap as some resorts but it is still not bad -- especially considering that Disney provides transportation to/from the airport and around Disney World, making a rental car unnecessary.

Decadude, you have an email from me!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It is possible to trade into DVC with either an RCI Points account or an RCI weeks account. However, seeing a DVC unit just sitting online is much more likely with an RCI Points account than with an RCI Weeks account.
Why is that? do you know?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Because in general OGS don't match to points inventory. A weeks owner can set up an OGS for weeks inventory. A points OGS also targets weeks inventory.

Points inventory comes up when a member or RCI guide manually searches inventory with a points account or through a portal with access to points inventory (Wyndham, Hilton, etc.)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I still believe renting is the most economical way to participate in RCI =)

geekette

Reaction score
I still believe renting is the most economical way to participate in RCI =)

I'm with you on that. I also would not buy something in the hopes of trading into Disney. If nothing else will do, buy Disney.