• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GPS

cmdmfr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a great GPS that will give me updates and also let me know when I am heading in a traffic jam and get me around it. Can some of the folks that use GPS quite often give me some feed back. Thanks

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My personal choice has always been Garmin. Make sure it has lifetime map update (although there have been questions about whose/what "lifetime" in the past). Traffic update and LM are pretty common. Look up some ratings, choose a size that you like (5 inches helps separate the lanes better which helps when merging, exiting). Read up on your state's guide-some state's do not allow windshield attachment. I will say, Google Maps - depending on your phone/tablet can be pretty functional. When I get lost (usually due to construction) I just call my hubby!!:doh:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
My Garmin Nuvi does traffic alerts and updates to include rerouting if I ask it to avoid the delay. I have loved our little 1450 unit.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a great GPS that will give me updates and also let me know when I am heading in a traffic jam and get me around it. Can some of the folks that use GPS quite often give me some feed back. Thanks

WAZE is an app, not a GPS unit, but it is phenomenal

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Fwiw, I have (and like very much) a Tom Tom XXL, which certainly provides all of the features above, including the actual distance to the traffic jam ahead and also the amount of time that said traffic jam will delay your arrival at the destination which you entered. I also like that it's not just a tiny little screen, which too many provide.

In the past, I have also used (not actual purchases) a Garmin Nuvi 1300 and Nuvi 255s and I liked both of them much less than the Tom Tom XXL that I bought and now use exclusively.

As pointed out already, you probably want to get access to lifetime updates with whatever product you purchase. That being said, note that installing "updates" can reportedly wipe clean any "Favorites" you may have entered and stored in the unit. Can't say that I've actually experienced this, since I've never yet even bothered with installing any "updates".

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
.... That being said, note that installing "updates" can reportedly wipe clean any "Favorites" you may have entered and stored in the unit. Can't say that I've actually experienced this, since I've never yet even bothered with installing any "updates".

When I update my Garmin it does not wipe what I have saved. We update a couple times a year and it adds new roads, takes out discontinued roads but mostly it adds POIs.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My personal choice has always been Garmin. Make sure it has lifetime map update (although there have been questions about whose/what "lifetime" in the past). ...

When these "lifetime updates" were first introduced by Garmin I called to find out whose life time.

What I got out of the conversation is that they will not support units forever, sort of like windows XP. A time will come when what I have in it will stay in it.

The first time I updated my latest garmin I got into Michigan and the maps were gone. Good thing I always carry paper maps. It turns out the update was too big for the internal memory and I needed to add a card. Once I did, and updated again, the whole map was back on my unit instead of just my local region.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm a fan of the Garmin NUVI line. Garmin has a cool feature on their web site which allows you to select which features you want, and it narrows down the model choices for you. There is a huge list of features on these things that makes selecting the right model for you kind of confusing. Make sure you pick lifetime map updates and traffic. I also recommend the largest screen size.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Garmin... it's what pilots prefer to use... get at least a 5" dia.
Make sure the letters "LMT" are at the end of model # you buy.
"LM" = lifetime maps... "T" = traffic
Traffic coverage is poor in the hinterlands, but good in major cities.
You can use the "detour" feature to navigate around major delays.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My personal choice has always been Garmin. Make sure it has lifetime map update (although there have been questions about whose/what "lifetime" in the past). Traffic update and LM are pretty common. Look up some ratings, choose a size that you like (5 inches helps separate the lanes better which helps when merging, exiting). Read up on your state's guide-some state's do not allow windshield attachment. I will say, Google Maps - depending on your phone/tablet can be pretty functional. When I get lost (usually due to construction) I just call my hubby!!:doh:
Google maps' traffic display is unreal, including local streets and roads. It has made the multi-million dollar freeway speed sensor infrastructure obsolete, as it aggregates android users gps data to get real time vehicle speeds.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
FWIW - a few years ago we took a golf trip with three other couples, taking two cars, through several locations in N Carolina. One car had a Garmin, the other a Tom Tom, and each driver just followed his own GPS. We consistently found the Tom Tom steered us with the better routes, and the Tom Tom car arrived first every single time.

When I bought a GPS unit for the Makai Gal's car (with no factory GPS) I bought her a Tom Tom.

I have factory GPS in my 8 year old Honda, but they want an arm and a leg for updates (which come on a disk to be loaded into the unit). After they drop the price to clear out the old disks before issuing new ones, they're still around $100. No thanks. This is pretty much just our around-town car so the GPS doesn't get used much. If I need up-to-date guidance in that car, I just use Google maps, or maybe Waze (which uses Google Map data), on my phone.

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Daughter has a Garmin 1597 and loves it. It has lifetime maps and traffic. It also has lane assist. While in Ga, the traffic part told her there was congestion ahead and to exit ahead to go around it. We tried Waze on my wife's phone on our last trip. All I can say is it drained her battery real fast. We deleted the app and no more problems with her battery. Other then the battery, we really like what the app does. And lastly, the internal memory is only so big, get a memory card, normally after your 1st or 2nd map update you will only be able to update part of the map, and just like one other post, he ran out of map. Once you load the maps on the memory card, don't take it out. If you damage or loose that card, your GPS will not work.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
We tried Waze on my wife's phone on our last trip. All I can say is it drained her battery real fast. We deleted the app and no more problems with her battery. Other then the battery, we really like what the app does.
Yes, it's best to keep your gps device, whatever it is (phone/tablet/dedicated gps), plugged in and charging when using any of those mapping services while on the road.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a smartphone, take a look at Google Maps. It's free, and I find it increasingly valuable with each update that they make. I have a paid version of the TomTom app, but I seldom use it because Google Maps is so much more accurate.

It uses Waze data, so it has pretty much real-time traffic conditions. I've got to where I use it even when I know the route, because it does such a good job routing around traffic. I've had several times where it routed me around real messes. And I've had several times where I DIDN'T use it and ended up in the messes.

The latest update also integrates business hours. If you try to route to a restaurant (or other business) on a day/time when it is closed (which I've done several times), it'll warn you. If you're scheduled to arrive near closing time, it'll tell you that, too.

Now, if only it would integrate with GasBuddy.com and let me know the best places to stop for gas along a trip!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
IF you do buy a stand-alone GPS, Costco has several that are great, good prices, excellent warranty. They also have a good exchange policy if you can't stand the first one you buy!

The latest fad in traffic on GPS is 'HD traffic'
It used HD radio signals to display near-realtime traffic on the unit.
Works great near major cities (which have HD and major traffic!).

Good luck.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have both a garmin and a TomTom. They are both great. I would advise you to get whatever GPS you think is best.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Now, if only it would integrate with GasBuddy.com and let me know the best places to stop for gas along a trip!

I agree, always kick myself after paying one price and finding it cheaper further down the highway.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree, always kick myself after paying one price and finding it cheaper further down the highway.

Don't beat yourself up over a couple dollars over paid. When we go to Daytona there are certain places we stop for gas because they are easy off -on to the freeway, have the conveniences we want and are safe. They are marked on our Garmin.

Other than those trips I always get gas when I need it and don't worry about ten or twenty cents per gallon.

One of my best friends owned 4 gas stations at one time and I always felt bad when I had to stop elsewhere because he was either closed or not near by when I needed gas. I felt bad about it until one day he was driving us both to the railroad and had to stop for gas near work. Even he couldn't always remember to fill up at his own place.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a smartphone, take a look at Google Maps. It's free, and I find it increasingly valuable with each update that they make. I have a paid version of the TomTom app, but I seldom use it because Google Maps is so much more accurate.

It uses Waze data, so it has pretty much real-time traffic conditions. I've got to where I use it even when I know the route, because it does such a good job routing around traffic. I've had several times where it routed me around real messes. And I've had several times where I DIDN'T use it and ended up in the messes.

The latest update also integrates business hours. If you try to route to a restaurant (or other business) on a day/time when it is closed (which I've done several times), it'll warn you. If you're scheduled to arrive near closing time, it'll tell you that, too.

I love my mini iPad and using google maps around the city anytime the data feed is good. It is a lot better than my Garmin Nuvi and it is easier to find stores, businesses, etc. by typing the name into the search bar and starting navigation to it. But, when on the highway halfway between Vegas and Salt Lake City, around a national park or anywhere else that does have data feed, the Garmin is the only way to go. It connects with the satalites to provide very accurate info. Also, if you are in a big city, lane assist, heads up display for six lanes going left and two lanes going right and traffic alerts are great. There is a time and place where the Garmin really pays for itself. I am on my fifth Nuvi over the last 11 years. They just keep getting better and better.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than those trips I always get gas when I need it and don't worry about ten or twenty cents per gallon.
I'm typically driving a Suburban and pulling a trailer, so getting about 10 MPG. With about 30,000 miles a year, that 20 cents per gallon (and sometimes it's much more) adds up to about $600 for me. That's worth a quick glance at the GasBuddy app to pick out my next gas stop. And often it's much more than 20 cents difference. On my last drive (from Beaumont, TX to DFW) most of the stations along the route were around $2.59, but I filled up once for $2.34 and once for $2.28. Another way of looking at it... A 30 gallon tank at a $0.30 per gallon difference saves me almost $10 on a single fillup.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm typically driving a Suburban and pulling a trailer, so getting about 10 MPG. With about 30,000 miles a year, that 20 cents per gallon (and sometimes it's much more) adds up to about $600 for me. That's worth a quick glance at the GasBuddy app to pick out my next gas stop. And often it's much more than 20 cents difference. On my last drive (from Beaumont, TX to DFW) most of the stations along the route were around $2.59, but I filled up once for $2.34 and once for $2.28. Another way of looking at it... A 30 gallon tank at a $0.30 per gallon difference saves me almost $10 on a single fillup.

Yep, different circumstances. I don't worry about it because my cars get 30 to 40 mpg depending and they take 11 and 14 gallons to fill but I fully understand the need for you to seek the very lowest station around.

I will not try to save by buying unbranded fuel though. Shell, Sunoco, Marathon, and a few others when I travel. I know some "experts" insist that gas is gas but I don't believe that to be true and will pass the el cheapo stations and pay a little more.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I'm typically driving a Suburban and pulling a trailer, so getting about 10 MPG.

At 10 MPG, it probably isn't worth going more than a mile or two out of your way to find the cheapest gas! ;) I know people who will drive 10-15 min each way across town to save 5 cents per gallon. Crazy!

Kurt

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
iPad w/GPS receiver.

We use an iPad with a Bluetooth GPS receiver and a TomTom app. It's large so it's easy to see/read. You can set it to tell you when a turn is coming up, etc. It shows gas stations and for an annual fee (I think $29) it will receive traffic updates. Brackets are available to mount it in your vehicle on eBay.

I also use it when we fly to track our route and position, but that's with a different app.