• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CWA Prices

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that CWA prices have jumped even higher than the rest? Could it be that people are really that excited about ARP at 70+ resorts? The premiums being paid for CWA above even significantly lower MF resorts is quite surprising to me.

Unless it's Ron picking them all up for Mardi Gras.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that CWA prices have jumped even higher than the rest? Could it be that people are really that excited about ARP at 70+ resorts? The premiums being paid for CWA above even significantly lower MF resorts is quite surprising to me.

Unless it's Ron picking them all up for Mardi Gras.

I have been tracking CWA postings on EBay. It does seem to have become a hot commodity, and you don't actually see a lot of CWA come up there. A 336K package recently went for $18/K!!! NO WAY Ron paid that! There were a couple BIN that closed for best offer...unfortunately, Ebay doesn't show the offer amount, but the original BIN was in the $11-$12/K range. I'm betting Ron picked up those (733K and 1M points) at $10/K. :p

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fun and games ... by the time most of these Wyndham points contracts lose, the new owners will have some ARP left for 2016 Use Year (better than a pile of points and NO RCI account setup to 'save' them to).

Few CWA listings ... all Wyndham points contracts seem to have interest.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been tracking CWA postings on EBay. It does seem to have become a hot commodity, and you don't actually see a lot of CWA come up there. A 336K package recently went for $18/K!!! NO WAY Ron paid that! There were a couple BIN that closed for best offer...unfortunately, Ebay doesn't show the offer amount, but the original BIN was in the $11-$12/K range. I'm betting Ron picked up those (733K and 1M points) at $10/K. :p

not me... In fact I just sold a 895k CWA privately,
and no Im not going to tell you where we settled.

I remember about 5 years ago when I first started buying Wyndham points, CWA was the new thing, and we were trying to figure out how it worked... Nobody wanted it then.

How times have changed

antjmar

Reaction score
Could it be that people are really that excited about ARP at 70+ resorts?
Can the rules for ARP at certain resorts change? I know there are currently some resorts that have restrictions when the ARP can be used. Can these be changed easily? I was told that Seawatch will be restricting summer ARP via CWA.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
not me... In fact I just sold a 895k CWA privately,
and no Im not going to tell you where we settled.

I remember about 5 years ago when I first started buying Wyndham points, CWA was the new thing, and we were trying to figure out how it worked... Nobody wanted it then.

How times have changed

Yeah I think 5 years ago CWA covered about 30 locations. I think it's up to 70-odd, and the inventory is growing even in the original properties. I imagine that eventually there will be CWA inventory in every Wyndham-managed property.

antjmar

Reaction score

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can the rules for ARP at certain resorts change? I know there are currently some resorts that have restrictions when the ARP can be used. Can these be changed easily? I was told that Seawatch will be restricting summer ARP via CWA.

The whole CWA concept is based on CWA ownership of deeds in the resort. CWA ARP is always restricted to the deeds CWA owns, as I understand it. Therefore, any further restriction of CWA ARP than what is naturally provided by limitation to CWA deeds would be calamitous to that club.

Who told you this, a sales liar?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually, a CWA ARP is restricted to the total number of CWP points owned at a resort in the CWA trust AND can also be restricted to the underlying fixed deeded week held in the CWA Trust.

IMHO .... (from many sources over the years, also)
When CWA was 'seeded' with inventory, a good bit of it came from the older resorts with fixed deeded weeks (many lesser desirable season & weeks mostly) ... as a way to provide points to sell and get those older resorts into better financial standing. The unsold inventory of the ALL CWP resorts was from the newer resorts ... again to jump start the collection of MFs. If you recall, there were SOME resorts, not placed into CWA (ie Royal Vista for one ... a total small CWP resort (no fixed weeks) with a large population of owners who spent MORE money than the average owner anywhere else in the CWP system ... to stay 4-12 weeks in residence at "their Winter Home".

antjmar

Reaction score
The whole CWA concept is based on CWA ownership of deeds in the resort. CWA ARP is always restricted to the deeds CWA owns, as I understand it. Therefore, any further restriction of CWA ARP than what is naturally provided by limitation to CWA deeds would be calamitous to that club.

Who told you this, a sales liar?

I wouldnt bother posting if it was a sales liar:)
Since some resorts are UDI there is no deed for a particular week, so IMO a restriction is possible, and they already exist eg. christmas at smuggs....

antjmar

Reaction score
Actually, a CWA ARP is restricted to the total number of CWP points owned at a resort in the CWA trust AND can also be restricted to the underlying fixed deeded week held in the CWA Trust.

IMHO .... (from many sources over the years, also)
When CWA was 'seeded' with inventory, a good bit of it came from the older resorts with fixed deeded weeks (many lesser desirable season & weeks mostly) ... as a way to provide points to sell and get those older resorts into better financial standing. The unsold inventory of the ALL CWP resorts was from the newer resorts ... again to jump start the collection of MFs. If you recall, there were SOME resorts, not placed into CWA (ie Royal Vista for one ... a total small CWP resort (no fixed weeks) with a large population of owners who spent MORE money than the average owner anywhere else in the CWP system ... to stay 4-12 weeks in residence at "their Winter Home".
That why I wonder what can happen in the future with CWA, especially with Ovation taking back all these less desireable weeks...
Also, keep in mind CWA owners do not get to vote on changes at particular resorts, only deeded owners (and wyndham) do so I imagine things can change...

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt bother posting if it was a sales liar:)
Since some resorts are UDI there is no deed for a particular week, so IMO a restriction is possible, and they already exist eg. christmas at smuggs....

What I mean is, if CWA owns intervals of a UDI-only resort, the club gets full privileges of any other owner at that resort, as long as all CWA owned points in that resort haven't been exhausted.

antjmar

Reaction score
What I mean is, if CWA owns intervals of a UDI-only resort, the club gets full privileges of any other owner at that resort, as long as all CWA owned points in that resort haven't been exhausted.

I understand.
I dont know how they do it but currently 3 resorts have restrictions when the ARP with CWA can be used, (they block prime times from ARP).
How easily can resorts be added to that list is what I'm trying to figure out.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand.
I dont know how they do it but currently 3 resorts have restrictions when the ARP with CWA can be used, (they block prime times from ARP).

So Smuggs is one of them, what are the other two? I'll see if I can find out....

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand.

My guess: those three resorts were all sold as either fixed-week or floating-with-season resorts before they joined the fairshare/club system, and when CWA was seeded with that resort's inventory, they only got off-season/shoulder-season weeks/floats. That makes sense: one goal of CWA is to help resorts that had big imbalances between MF/K based on season---the high MF/K deeds are more likely to default, harder to sell, etc. as standalone deeds. But, blended with a big pool of CWA inventory, it's a lot easier to move the points.

Either way, if the underlying resort is UDI, I don't see how they could add seasonal restrictions to ARP as a matter of policy (vs. availability). If the underlying resort is fixed-week or seasonal-float, there could be, but it would be based on what's in the CWA trust.

And, for those reading along, it is worth remembering that ARP is irrelevant for the vast majority of resorts/seasons/units. For those with a handful of very specific needs, or those who want to follow the Ron P. path, things are different, but they are the exception, not the norm.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe there was some truth to what my salesman said

We just were on a presentation yesterday, one of our best experiences after a really bad one in Panama City Beach. We said never again but we were promised there would be no high pressure and they made good on that promise. My wife thought it was bad that we ended up having the presenter as our personal update guy but it worked out to our advantage. When he saw we had two resales, including our recently purchased 210000 CWA contract he knew we would be a tough sell so he cut us loose early so he could help close the other sales peoples targets.

He did say he heard CWA contracts were hard to come by and his offer was to have us trade in our one even and one odd year contract (161000 annual points) and purchase a 105,000 point CWA contract for a sales price under $20,000. So we would have ended up with a 266000 CWA contract, netting an additional 105000 points.

Thanks to this forum I now know even if I give away my two deeded contracts and end up buying a 266000 point CWA contract the cost should still be well under $10,000. Our recent purchase was for a 210000 point contract with another 200,000 pooled points for under $2,000, so it appears that now may be a pretty good deal.

Gary

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
...Our recent purchase was for a 210000 point contract with another 200,000 pooled points for under $2,000, so it appears that now may be a pretty good deal.

Gary

Gary, I remember you looking at CWA about 6 months ago. Was your "recent" 210k a CWA from about that timeframe? Very good price considering where the market has gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
trying to get into timeshares

I am new to timesharing. I am waiting on our first re-sale purchase transfer to finalize. We bought a 210K EOY odd contract from a TUG BBS member.
I have been looking for other contracts to supplement this one.
I have been wondering if renters or want-to-be renters are driving up the prices?
My goal is to obtain enough points so that my family can take "reasonable" priced vacations once our son is out of daycare, and we are on the school schedule. The current prices of CWA contracts doesn't fit within that goal.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I am new to timesharing. I am waiting on our first re-sale purchase transfer to finalize. We bought a 210K EOY odd contract from a TUG BBS member.
I have been looking for other contracts to supplement this one.
I have been wondering if renters or want-to-be renters are driving up the prices?
My goal is to obtain enough points so that my family can take "reasonable" priced vacations once our son is out of daycare, and we are on the school schedule. The current prices of CWA contracts doesn't fit within that goal.

I think the improving economy and Wyndham's new "Ovation" take-back program are driving the prices up. What used to be free now costs a few hundred dollars, and what used to cost a few hundred goes for a couple thousand.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the improving economy and Wyndham's new "Ovation" take-back program are driving the prices up. What used to be free now costs a few hundred dollars, and what used to cost a few hundred goes for a couple thousand.

I think certainly, even though Wyndham isn't "paying" for points contracts turned in, some owners just don't want to deal with selling and take the easy road of just giving it back, and that would reduce supply, driving up bids for those who do want to sell. I see that some of the renters do hold CWA, so there must be some commercial value in it.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think certainly, even though Wyndham isn't "paying" for points contracts turned in, some owners just don't want to deal with selling and take the easy road of just giving it back, and that would reduce supply, driving up bids for those who do want to sell. I see that some of the renters do hold CWA, so there must be some commercial value in it.

CWA points would have no more (or no less) value than any other points with mf in the mid 5's except that I use mine for Mardi Gras reservations at avenue plaza and la belle Maison. I suspect the folks bidding CWA up are folks that want it for arp at a specific resort like me. But it doesn't have to be renters. Joe Sixpack from Chicago that wants to take his family to the Dells (for example) every year is my competition for this stuff. And he will pay more than me because I need a profit. He doesn't