• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need new hard drive for MacBook Pro - advice?

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
DS's 17" MacBook Pro's hard drive is failing (making evil noises) and probably needs to be replaced. I usually buy AppleCare but unfortunately missed the deadline by 2 weeks. The computer is heavily used and I don't mind replacing the hard drive, but I'm wondering about going the Non-Apple route since it's not under AppleCare and there's no warranty to void.

When I googled, this came up - sounds intriguing and the price is ok with me, but I don't know anything about the company. We've had good results with WD hard drives, but some of those who commented on the article apparently didn't.

I'd appreciate some advice please - go through Apple, go through this company, or ????

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/myservice_offers_750gb_macbook_pro_hard_drive_upgrade_service/

They have different options here:
http://www.myservice.com/harddrives.html

Or there's MacConnection; I've dealt with them many times before.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My advice: do it yourself and save $$. Since your laptop is only about a year old, it should be one of the newer styles that permit very simple installation of the hard drive itself. Here's a brief overview:

1. Backup your data completely (and verify). I suggest SuperDuper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/), which for $29 is a great backup app, but even the free version will do what you need here. It will permit you to use an external hard drive to create a bootable drive that identically matches your internal hard drive. Any external drive of sufficient capacity will work, and I'm assuming you have one for this purpose at this point given your previous posts about backup awareness, etc. If not, let me know and I'll suggest a good external as well.

2. Now that you have your data backed up, as soon as the backup is complete go to System Pref:Startup Disk and select the external drive, and restart the computer. The laptop should now boot with the external. To confirm this is the case, after booting check the Startup Disk pref pane again and see which is highlighted (you may also check which drive is mounted at the top of the screen on your desktop, as that is the bootup drive).

3. Remove the internal hard drive.

4. Install the new hard drive. Just follow the directions and it's simple and shouldn't take long at all.

5. Boot the laptop using the external backup you created earlier. Open Disk Utility (located in Apps:Utilities) and format the internal drive - it's easier than it sounds.

6. Run SuperDuper again, this time copying the data from the external to the new internal.

7. Open the Startup Disk pref pane again, select the internal drive, dismount the external drive and remove the connection cable (be it USB or FireWire) and restart the laptop. That's it!

I suggest searching for hard drive replacement instructions (there are a number of sites that have them) and see the pictures and video that show what's involved with such a task. Also, Apple's instructions on the laptop even include detailed info with illustrations showing how to do this:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_17inch_Mid2009.pdf

As for which hard drive to purchase... well, that all depends on how the computer is being used, amount of storage required, etc. I prefer 7200rpm hard drives for speed (as compared to the standard 5400rpm units) but they are slightly more expensive and lower the battery use as they require more power than the slower drives. You can find a good selection of drives at Newegg and elsewhere - any 2.5" SATA drive should work (Newgg lists them under "laptop" drives). I wouldn't worry about which manufacturer - everyone has an opinion on this, but the reality is that they are all about the same. I prefer Seagate at the moment, but have no hesitation using Western Digital, Hitachi or Samsung, should I find a good deal on one of their drives. A standard 5400rpm 500GB hard drive can be bought for ~$60 right now.

And regarding your question of going to Apple for this replacement... well, as far as I'm concerned that should be your absolute last option given the associated costs involved with such an upgrade that they would charge. Unless things have changed recently, this can be an expensive upgrade when done at Apple.

FWIW, I'm going through this same issue for my personal laptop. My drive is making intermittent clicking sounds that disturb me, and even though the drive is only about a year old and under warranty I've ordered a replacement. In fact, I've also arranged to sell my laptop and buy a new MacBook Pro. Even so, I ordered a 750GB 7200rpm drive for that laptop, as I always take the opportunity to upgrade capacity when installing a new computer (just be sure to have sufficient capacity with your backup drives to handle the new hard drive size!).

Hope this helps.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
10% (up to $10) coupon at Newegg for today for hard drives, use at checkout: EMCZZYR25

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ken

Way back when I always did my own hardware upgrades and repairs - I even still have the super-long special screwdriver and "lobster cracker" that were needed to get the original Macs open and closed! Back when the IBM PC first came out the only way I could afford one was to buy the box and put in my own drives etc.

If this were a cheaper laptop and mine, I'd definitely get out the tiny tools and get to work......
I'm not sure I want DS to chance this on his MacBook Pro, and he's away at college so I can't do it. I'll talk to him about it though.

He's fully backed up with Time Machine, but I'm not sure that makes a disk image, so Super Duper sounds good. Thanks for the advice on the 7200; I think that makes sense.

We'll skip the Apple route, as you suggest. If we ship it out we'll likely use MacConnection as I've been dealing with them for decades (I was going to say years.....but wow, it's been a long time!)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ah... given the situation, ask him to check with the school student store. Most will sell and support this type of item locally, and I always am concerned when sending my data away. Or, I bet he has a friend who can do this for him.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about having someone else messing with your data.

It's a small college - probably there's no service available. MacConnection will charge an extra ~95 on top of the drive, $90 for a 500G 7200 Seagate. I have shipping boxes with foam inside from previous Apple repairs, so that part's easy. I'm happy to pay $200.

However, I sent DS your post and now he's intrigued by doing it himself. I'd rather pay an extra $100 than buy him a new puter :p

If he puts it in himself, can't he just use the Time Machine backup to restore the data? I'm not sure of the process...he'd either have to have an OS on the new drive so it'll boot, or boot from the backup drive and then zap everything over onto the new one.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I have a three years old Mac Book that was out of warranty. The hard drive went up and I took it to the Apple store. They replaced the hard drive-no charge. It is worth a try, if they could have accessed the hard drive they would have put all the data and programs on the new hard drive, but my info was on an external hard drive at home, so I had to do it myself. I have no idea why they were so accomodating, I was wondering if they were having issues with some hard drives so they were willing to replace the failed one's, for what ever reason I was just happy to have my problem solved. I would back up my data, take the mac book pro to the apple store and at least have them look at it.

Donna

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Donna,
Thanks for the info about your hard drive replacement. This particular computer had some display issues earlier this year, also out of warranty, but it was covered at n/c. I've had that happen several other times with Apple, so it's worth a try!
What kind/size of hard drive was yours?
PJ

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Rather than send it away, and if you're uncomfortable with him trying to do this upgrade himself, I suggest he ask around the area. I'm sure there are independent consultants that might be able to assist. If you PM me the city, I can check with colleagues to try to find one who is a member of the Apple Consultants Network for you, or send a personal referral. You may also check online at http://consultants.apple.com/; just keep in mind that consultants sometimes charge more than stores (but provide, in general, much more personalized - some would say better - service).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
By the way, I had to cancel the 750GB 7200rpm drive as it's still stuck in manufacturing (every vendor has it on backorder...and it's been this way for months, as it turns out). I ordered a Samsung 640GB 7200rpm unit instead from Newegg for only $90 after tax/shipping, using today's 10% off coupon. FWIW, I was tempted to try one of the newer Seagate hybrid drives, but they don't have the greatest of reviews (I suspect those will become much more prevalent next year, as they offer some of the benefits of SSD drives at a much lower price).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken,

Thanks for the continuing advice.
The more I think of it the more I realize it isn't a big deal for him to do it himself. He has done software and network installs and upgrades for various people and organizations and also does a lot of theatre tech stuff with sound and lights. Though the inside of a laptop may be new territory for him, screwdrivers and wires certainly aren't!

If you've already done your homework on hard drives and like the Samsung then I think that's what we'll order too. Thanks for the Newegg discount code.

PJ

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the drive

Well, so much for DS's diagnostic powers....

I picked it up when I was at his school over the weekend, and took it to a local repair shop; it passed all the diagnostics except for the fan :eek:

However, DS would like a bigger hard drive anyway (he has a 250G now). They're only charging $60 for labor (student discount), so once it's open for the fan, might as well go for the drive too.

At this point his 250G is almost maxed out, and he has two external 500G drives, one for backup and one for projects.

What is it about the hybrids that makes them better? I know it's speed, but is it just start-up speed, or does everything run faster? A LOT faster, or just somewhat? We're now weighing a 750G standard drive vs a 500G hybrid - having 3X as much real estate is appealing, but so is speed..... I believe they're talking Seagate in both cases. What do you think?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We're now weighing a 750G standard drive vs a 500G hybrid - having 3X as much real estate is appealing, but so is speed..... I believe they're talking Seagate in both cases. What do you think?

I decided against the hybrid for my own laptop since I read a number of rather negative reviews of the current generation product. It's still relatively new, and I'm holding off for the moment on recommending those types of drives.

As for regular drives, the 750GB is likely a 5400rpm unit. If that's the case, and he wants lots of storage and he's okay with a 5400rpm drive (it's really fine, just not as fast as the 7200 units), then there is a 1TB laptop drive you can get. Here's an example of one at Newegg for only $110:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152242

However, note that the 1TB laptop drives are 12.5mm high (unlike the more common 9mm) and may not fit in all laptops.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I think the 750 is 7200, but I'll double-check before going for it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thank you! I think the 750 is 7200, but I'll double-check before going for it.

If so, that's the Seagate model that was just released and is quite difficult for them to ship (they were back-ordered everywhere just a week or two ago).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If so, that's the Seagate model that was just released and is quite difficult for them to ship (they were back-ordered everywhere just a week or two ago).

It's the standard 750, not hybrid. The tech at the computer store says the hybrid will boot the computer much faster and apps will also load faster. But will they run faster? Noticeably faster? DS is still trying to decide between space (the 750 standard) and speed (500 hybrid). He does a fair amount of video and graphic design - theatre tech stuff - e.g., lighting design, 3d set design.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grrrrrrr

Just picked up the MacBook Pro - they put in a WD 750G 5400. I thought it was going to be a 7200. I'm sure that when the tecchie and I were tossing around prices and sizes I asked if the various options were all 7200 (except the hybrid), and he said yes (hence double-checking as I said I would above).

Tech wasn't there when I picked it up, and other people there knew nothing. It's a communication error, but I didn't have the details in writing.

I'll talk to the tech tomorrow to see if he can swap it out for the 7200, but my son doesn't want to wait anymore, and from your posts above I can guess they probably don't have the 7200.

It's just frustrating since we were debating the relative speed of 7200 vs hybrid, and the tech even sent me specs for speeds of both.

Edit to reduce the Grrr....

Talked to the tech this morning. He has a 7200 in stock and will swap drives this afternoon. He was very apologetic about the mis-communication. BUT he added that they have discontinued the 5400 in favor of all 7200s.....so it is still annoying that he put a discontinued drive in our 'puter knowing that we were looking for improved performance AND with the 7200 in stock. Oh well, I've been dealing with this company for 20+ years and this is the only glitch, and they are making it right.

Last edited: