• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Paypal provide any protection when renting

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
This is my first experience with renting (redweed) and I looked at the suggestions in the Tug Help section, but I was wondering if Paypal provides any protection when you rent. I have asked for a copy of the original reservation and asked to pay a deposit then when the confirmation is in my name, pay the balance, the owners have not gotten back to me on my requests. They do accept paypal.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank YOu

Donna

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - if you get scammed you can dispute the charge both with Paypal and your credit card.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
as far as i have heard PAYpal is worthless in helping you in some cases.
you are going about this the right way.. asking a lot of questions along the way. if the "owners" don't get back then it was most likely a scam.

If you have a paypal account log in and go to the forums section to ask your question about rentals.

the section is called "community" it to the right side on blue bar.

also after you get the confirmation I would call the resort to verify the rental as well..
good luck

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just started renting some of my timeshare weeks But Im not sure Ive got the optimum procedure in place. Quite frankly I have spent more time trying to protect myself against tenants that might damage the property and those that are trying to scam me, and I have been less concerned about developing a process to put my prospective renters at ease. I know I have to do that or no one will send me any money and Ill never get anything rented

So let me turn this around and ask you...as a prospective tenant, what would put you at ease. What would you like to see before you send any money to someone advertising a vacation condo, or timeshare for rent

I have one idea...only rent from folks you see here on TUG. If you spend enough time here you can usually figure out who rents and who dosent....contact us, we're the good guys

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have looked here on TUG, and asked in the rental wanted section for where I am interested in going, but no response. I would have been more comfortable using a Tug member. I have rented thru VRBO before and after a few emails have sent a deposit and then received a rental agreement and about 30 days prior to the trip, paid the balance. I have dealt with some great owners, all I have been able to reconnect and rerent thru. This is just a owner that I have not dealt with and I feel like I am taking a leap of faith, but we have exchanged a few emails and he has been very responsive. I think the process just takes time, going back and forth. He is a verified paypal, only not sure exactly what that means, I will be checking though.

Donna

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise,

Your notes is what I have been using. Thank You for posting them.

Donna