• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ACBL-Duplicate bridge

ChrisandBeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondered how many bridge players were out there in TUG land. My wife and I use our timeshares to attend Regional tournaments. Sometimes we have a spare bedroom, sometimes we can't get in to a resort that is close to the game site. Thought I'd try and start a dialouge with any other bridge players out there.

Chris

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, four of us would start at 6pm---and play until about 4 am!!!! (I am the ony surviving member of the group.)

It was 'Contract' Bridge----not Duplicate.

When I read the newspaper quickly, I still try to read the Bridge column.

So, count me in as a Bridge TUGger.

(I think it is the BEST card game there is. All card games have an advantage to the person with the best cards----but DEFENSE in Bridge helps to lessen that vs. other card games)

Pat

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a Bridge player, but can't help noticing the hoards who stay in the card rooms on cruises playing Bridge through all kinds of distractions, Shore excursions, meals, shows, sleep. Must be something addictive about it. Backgammon is sort of like that to me.

Jim

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Played one year

Well, not really played but took a one year course on beginning bridge and when we near the end... the instructor said we were ready to sub in for the "regulars" who played in the room next door while our class was in session.

Loved the game and would like to go back to it one day.....but now I am teaching English and the marking load takes up a lot of my discretionary time (;
What I really liked about bridge is that there are communities in almost every city, village, hamlet in the world and if you are new in town...go to a bridge center and you will have instant friends.

If you are looking for a new hobby (addiction) I would really recommend it (;

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH has been on the board of Unit 128 (FL) for years and still loves his bridge. He goes to most of our Unit Regionals to play and attend board meetings. We may go to the Nationals in Vegas this summer. I don't play but I love to gamble so I mentioned going. He is a patron so we'll be able to get a room at the hotel or I'll use SPG points or something. I like Caesar's better than the LVH (used to be the Hilton). He plays golf with a bunch of bridge professionals who will be going unless it conflicts with a one of the World Championships.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Been playing for only about 5 years and am in the process of taking a convention class, so much to learn.

Donna

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents played (well) so we grew up with bridge parties at our house when it was their turn to host. DH and I learned in our 30s. Enjoyed very much. Used to do the column in the newspaper. Don't remember much about the game now, but would like to get back into it.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love to play bridge, and duplicate is the most fun I play in Florida, but no one in Wisconsin Dells plays. when we lived in Illinois, if you didn't play bridge, you didn't have any social life.

ChrisandBeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really is a great game, very social, keeps your mind sharp and takes your worries away for a few hours. I'm still working but have generous time off and plan all our holidays around tournaments. Heading to the San Diego regional next week, already been to Vancouver Washington ( Portland area ). I have booked 6 units at Seaside and am renting (at cost) to friends and family who are coming to that tournament in September. Our timeshares are the only way I can afford to go to that many tournaments. With full kitchens and sharing costs it is an incredibly cheap holiday.

@ Patri- If you go to ACBL.org and click "find a club" you will be able to see clubs in your area. Many will have lessons and all welcome newcomers and returnees to the game.

@dms1709-Enjoy your classes...bridge is a life long learning opportunity

@lvhmbh-Thanks to your hubby for taking time from his life ( and yours) to further the game. Won't be in Vegas, but hoping for New Orleans nationals next March

@spirits-we have friends who traveled across North America many years ago stopping almost every night in a different town that had a bridge club. They still keep in touch with many they met on that trip. Try playing in the club this summer when your on vacation. You won't regret it.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@ Patri- If you go to ACBL.org and click "find a club" you will be able to see clubs in your area.

I just did! The town north has a club, but they only meet at noon. We are not retired yet. However, I see I can relearn the rules, play online etc. May try some of that. Thank you.

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondered how many bridge players were out there in TUG land. My wife and I use our timeshares to attend Regional tournaments. Sometimes we have a spare bedroom, sometimes we can't get in to a resort that is close to the game site. Thought I'd try and start a dialouge with any other bridge players out there.

Chris

We are duplicate bridge players. We are at a tournament in Mesa AZ right now and staying at the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix which is about 15 to 20 minutes away. Taking today off and back at it tomorrow and Sunday.

Lynn

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are duplicate bridge players. We are at a tournament in Mesa AZ right now and staying at the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix which is about 15 to 20 minutes away. Taking today off and back at it tomorrow and Sunday.

Lynn

I guess I qualify. Played in club games last night and this morning. Next Monday and Wednesday are possible games at two other clubs in the area.

Art

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I play at bridge clubs in Kelowna, Vernon and Penticton. Went to the NABC in Phoenix last year - very interesting!

ChrisandBeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
I play at bridge clubs in Kelowna, Vernon and Penticton. Went to the NABC in Phoenix last year - very interesting!

First played duplicate in Vernon in 1986. Met my wife at the club there. Been on the Island since the mid 90's but have fond memories of many friends there. Vernon has always been a great bridge town, and I hear great things from friends still in the area

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I downloaded Learn to Play Bridge II and took a look at it. Didn't know to lead the second highest card in a long suit with no honors against no trump. learned 40 years ago when my husband taught me, never had a lesson and he topped playing many years ago. anyone in Wisconsin Dells in the summer who needs a fourth, I am available. planning to go through the whole program when time permits.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My MIL, who will turn 91 next month, is an avid bridge player. She lives in a big condo building with several weekly games and she travels to one at a senior center and one at a community center near here, once a week. She's still very sharp, and I'm sure the constant flow of bridge helps keep her that way.

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

We were also at the NABC in Phoenix. Might have seen each other and not known!

Lynn

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I downloaded Learn to Play Bridge II and took a look at it. Didn't know to lead the second highest card in a long suit with no honors against no trump. learned 40 years ago when my husband taught me, never had a lesson and he topped playing many years ago. anyone in Wisconsin Dells in the summer who needs a fourth, I am available. planning to go through the whole program when time permits.

I think you mean the FOURTH highest card.....

Pat

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you mean the FOURTH highest card.....

Pat
no the new trend is to lead the second highest if you don't have an honor in the long suit. this is on the ACBl bridge tutorial, they didn't explain why this was better. fourth highest card is something that has always been taught.

Last edited:

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were also at the NABC in Phoenix. Might have seen each other and not known!

Lynn
Interesting, Lynn, did you stay at the Sheraton? Are you going to another NABC this year? I have to wait until next year. Elli