• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How often is your timeshare unused?

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Twice in 16 years. Once on an II exchange because the property was not up to my wife's liking and the second this Labor Day weekend coming up.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Labor Day is nearly a month away. You still have time to exchange, trade, rent, or give away to someone I would think.

Seems like people here mostly use their weeks. Then how do you explain the vacancies at so many of these resorts in the off-season. For example, most resorts are less than half full in early December.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Labor Day is nearly a month away. You still have time to exchange, trade, rent, or give away to someone I would think.

Seems like people here mostly use their weeks. Then how do you explain the vacancies at so many of these resorts in the off-season. For example, most resorts are less than half full in early December.

Early December is the least popular vacation season of the year:
-kids are in school and it's the end of the semester/finals
-people are busy with holiday activities
-people are spending their money on the holidays

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

People who are here are here because they actively use their vacation times.

Resorts are half full for the same reason hotels are half full in early December. It is the slowest vacation time of the entire year. As I see it, you have 80% of the timeshare population vying for probably 40% of the calendar. Some will get left out and not know what to do with their intervals, some will deposit in an exchange, where it doesn't get picked up by other exchangers--that's where the deeply discounted bonus weeks, certificates, and sales come from, they are always off-season. Also, if 10% of a resort is in delinquency, those unreservable weeks are going to concentrate themselves in the slowest seasons. Developers and HOAs can rent those weeks out, but if no one wants to go there the first week of December, no one is going to rent it.

If I'm oversimplifying it, I hope someone will jump in....

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
owned since 1991, never, except this may we arrived three days late for the first time ever.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Owners at AI resorts are different

Our ownership at an AI resort (Sandos Caracol) lets us stay up to 4 weeks each year, either there or at another Sandos resort. We have stayed with Sandos every year, but we have yet to use all of our allotted weeks in any year

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score

T/S is in Honolulu. Tried to give it away with no takers. It's a VRI Exchange. Already cancelled it once and re-booked. I have spent $650 in exchange and upgrade fees. VRI charges $50 to cancel the reservation so I'm cutting my loses. We already are booked up through July of next year. It just turned out to be 1 too many weeks.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the first few years of owning my DVC timeshare, I always used it. I bought in early enough that the use came with tickets for everyone staying in the unit. After the free tickets expired, even in the years I was really broke, we managed to get there for vacation --- which was the reason that I bought it. I knew that if I paid for it, I would take a vacation.

Ironically, as I got less broke and my son wanted to go other places is when my points went unused. That happened for about 4 or 5 years.

Since then, I have learned, first through Mouseowners and later through this site, how better to use my time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I mostly trade my weeks for hotel points or put into an exchange companies. I usually have too many deposited weeks and book exchanges as giveaways to my employees for their use. Only twice my employees told me they could not go at the last minute. One of them I posted on TUG for anyone who wanted to use for free in which a TUGger took it for a friend. Strangely I did not receive a Thank you or an acknowledgement after I worked my butts off to get a last minute guest certificate and emailed off to this friend of a TUGger. I decided to stop wasting my time in giving away unused weeks. Just ranting...

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mostly trade my weeks for hotel points or put into an exchange companies. I usually have too many deposited weeks and book exchanges as giveaways to my employees for their use. Only twice my employees told me they could not go at the last minute. One of them I posted on TUG for anyone who wanted to use for free in which a TUGger took it for a friend. Strangely I did not receive a Thank you or an acknowledgement after I worked my butts off to get a last minute guest certificate and emailed off to this friend of a TUGger. I decided to stop wasting my time in giving away unused weeks. Just ranting...

In advance, I would like to tel you that I appreciate all your hard work and effort! :wave::wave::D

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Timesharing gives us our retirement dream

Having purchased our first timeshare as a way to insure that we would make time to vacation, we have used all our points allowance or rented some when we had more points than time for travel. Now, we are accelerating our use which allows us to spend 9 weeks of winter in sunny Mexico instead of frigid Ohio. We also have enough points for a couple weeks in Fall of year on beach of Mexico. I look at it like a second home that I don't have to support when we aren't there.
It is a lifestyle choice that we really enjoy!!!
DonnaD

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never in 16 years. We own 4 Hilton timeshares which translates into 6 weeks for us. There was a times when I would forward some of my unused points to the next year but in recent years I've borrowed points from the upcoming year--long vacations with families & friends.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some will get left out and not know what to do with their intervals, some will deposit in an exchange, where it doesn't get picked up by other exchangers--that's where the deeply discounted bonus weeks, certificates, and sales come from, they are always off-season.

I would also add that a lot of people can't get use to booking their vacations 9-12 months out. Lately I've had to book RCI vacations at 14 months out. I know a lot of people who don't start thinking about their vacation reservation until 3 months out. :eek:

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now - I use all but 1 my timeshares because they are mostly points based. My Presidential Wilderness Resort goes unused quite a bit. So, I am going to sell it back to the resort next year.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
So far, never. The ones I own get used. Also, I only own prime season. I don't own any off season weeks.

There was one week that I rented from someone else that I gave to my mom because I was far too sick to travel.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
So far, I have not lost a any time or points. You do have to plan.

Donna

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
I've owned DVC for 22 years. Never once has my TS gone unused. Not one time.

I bought into the new Marriott towers on Maui for an EOY 2 weeks just 6 years ago. We adore Maui and plan on going back every year. Until they are dragging me off the plane in a wheelbarrow. ;)

I think the key here is to never be pressured into an on-the-spot purchase. Sleep on it. Crunch numbers. Be realistic about how you will REALLY use that TS, even as the years pass. And only buy where you LOVE, love to stay! (I know there are some folks here that buy low and trade high, but I am not one of those people. I admire those master traders, but I would drive myself nuts. I am a planner deluxe!)

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned three weeks since 1996 and we've never let a week go unused. I can't imagine paying maintenance fees and not using the week. That's like taking several hundred dollars out of your wallet and lighting them on fire!

A few years we rented our Maui unit since we can get substantially more than maintenance fees, and then we took a cheaper vacation week via an AC or an Extra Vacation. The other weeks we have used personally or we have exchanged them through one of four different exchange companies.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to pose the same question in forum over at Interval. Certainly TUG members are not a good sample of most timeshare owners, I'd guess.

So many of the posts from people in the buying, selling forum who want to dump their timeshares begin with, "I got sucked into buying it 10 years ago and have never used it." And these are usually timeshares bought at retail prices from the developer.

I liked the question.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I own Wyndham points and sixteen fixed or floating weeks, a few of which have been converted to points or PIC-ed.

Since Wyndham consolidated my three different use-years, I expect to lose some points at the end of the year because there were no reservations to be had in late December. These are points recovered from cancelling and rebooking so it's not like they were "unused." It still pains me!

I rarely have a fixed or floating unit go totally unused. The more likely scenario is that it will be used suboptimally -- dumped on eBay or Craig's List just to get a few hundred bucks or turned over the the resort's rental program.

mash84121

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point, WorldMark
Another key factor for the low occupancy rate during low seasons is that many if not most resorts are not sold out during the low seasons. If a resort has only sold 75% of the weeks in the off season, than it is unlikely that the resort will have a higher occupancy rate during that season.

Also, many people that own off season weeks will try to trade up to weeks during better seasons and their deposited weeks won't be traded in to so they stay unoccupied.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I have never had to miss one of my two weeks. I have traded a full week for 5 nights once, but that was because my week didn't get enough Marriott DC points to book a full week at the other resort.

I do feel fortunate that I have not had to do a last minute cancellation.