• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spirit Airline adds fees for carry-on bags

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following information was sent to me by smartertravel.com
Note that it costs $39. per year to belong to the $9.00 fare club.

Spirit Adds Carry-on Bag Fees of up to $45
April 6, 2010 9:46 am by Carl Unger

Spirit Airlines has added fees for carry-on bags, effective immediately for travel on or after August 1.

Here's the fee breakdown:

* Personal item: Free
* Carry-on bag, paid online; $9 fare club members: $20
* Carry-on bag, paid online, on the phone, or at check-in; non-$9 fare club members: $30
* Paid at the gate: $45

Items such as umbrellas, strollers, and car seats are also free.

Spirit is concurrently lowering its checked bag fees for $9 Fare Club members:

* First bag: Old fees $19 online/$25 airport; new fee: $15 domestic, $20 international, $45 checked at gate (both domestic or international)
* Second bag: Old fee: $25 online or airport; new fee: $15 domestic, $20 international
* Third through fifth bag: Old fee: $100; new fee: $75 domestic, $80 international

For non-members, some checked bag fees have actually gone up:

* First bag: Old fees $19 online/$25 airport; new fee: $25 domestic, $30 international, $45 checked at gate (domestic or international)
* Second bag: Old fee: $25 online or airport; new fee: $30 domestic or international
* Third through fifth bag: Old fee: $100; new fee: $85 domestic, $90 international

Bottom line: You will pay for bags on Spirit no matter what. This is obviously not a development many travelers will be happy to see, but hopefully the concept of carry-on fees stays relegated to the realm of the ultra-low-cost carrier

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
This stinks, but then again, I suspect that some airlines beyond just RyanAir have thought about pay toilets on aircraft, and who knows what they will charge for next, wearing clothes?

Actually, I like the bag policies of LCC EasyJet. They charge for checked bags, but there is effectively no weight limit on your carryon, which is free.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is cheaper to check all bags. No incentive for carryon. Forget the convenience. No handy carry on change of clothes or bathing suit in case checked luggage gets lost.:mad:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Sounds like it is cheaper to check all bags. No incentive for carryon. Forget the convenience. No handy carry on change of clothes or bathing suit in case checked luggage gets lost.:mad:
One personal bag that will fit under the seat is still allowed for free. Are you saying you can't fit a change of clothes and a swimsuit in that? :confused:

Consumers have a choice -- if you don't like their policies, you don't have to fly with them. I know they would be my last choice now.

Kurt

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
* Personal item: Free
* Carry-on bag, paid online; $9 fare club members: $20
* Carry-on bag, paid online, on the phone, or at check-in; non-$9 fare club members: $30
* Paid at the gate: $45...

Knowing Spirit, I assume those fees are for one-way flights, not round-trip. So, bringing a carry-on bag could cost $90 round-trip! :eek:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I know they would be my last choice now.

I've decided that travel should not be experimental, which leaves Spirit at the bottom of my list, just after Greyhound.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard it suggested that Spirit fliers can wear multiple layers of clothes, and an Abe Lincoln-type stovepipe hat stuffed with extra underwear. Still no extra fee for the clothes on your back!

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard it suggested that Spirit fliers can wear multiple layers of clothes, and an Abe Lincoln-type stovepipe hat stuffed with extra underwear. Still no extra fee for the clothes on your back!

NOT YET !!!

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is Spirit's link on the baggage issue.I don't mind much because on my last flight people were just getting silly with carryons. People had full size baggage trying to put them overhead. Many people on the flight ended up having to check carryons because there just wasn't enough space on the plane .Fault was with Spirit for not enforcing carry on sizes or amounts.It seemed like no one wanted to check anything and carried everything on board with them with no concern for size.I don't like the baggage nickle and dimeing but it seems they are just trying to enforce some common sense.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it would appear that if you are a member of the "$9 fare club, you fly cheaper than your bag does!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is Spirit's link on the baggage issue.I don't mind much because on my last flight people were just getting silly with carryons. People had full size baggage trying to put them overhead. Many people on the flight ended up having to check carryons because there just wasn't enough space on the plane .Fault was with Spirit for not enforcing carry on sizes or amounts.It seemed like no one wanted to check anything and carried everything on board with them with no concern for size.I don't like the baggage nickle and dimeing but it seems they are just trying to enforce some common sense.

I noticed that on our last Spirit flight, body bag size duffles with wheels!

Last summer on the flight home from Myrtle Beach, they announced way before the plane even showed up, that it was smaller and any bag that couldn't be stuffed under your seat, needed to be gate checked(no fee). I think they did that trying to speed up the departure. Well that was shot when a mom, grandmother and 3 "princess" girls get on late with no assigned seats and no one would move, so they could sit together. It took so long the pilot went back to see what was going on.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Spirit makes Delta look gold-plated, with all due respect to Carolinian. [grumble, grumble]

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Spirit makes Delta look gold-plated, with all due respect to Carolinian. [grumble, grumble]

Actually, Spirit got the idea from the Delta / Northwest merger, didn't they?:rofl: :rofl:

I read where Ryan Air plans to put in vending machines. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100331-712238.html (Note the date of the article, 31 March in the USA which would probably be 1 April in the Republic of Ireland).;)

Cheers

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Spirit

They will be the very last airline I look at. I usually check my bags, but charging for carry on policy is over the top ridiculous. Unfortunately, I already have tickets for a flight on them for next fall.

Donna

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
They will be the very last airline I look at. I usually check my bags, but charging for carry on policy is over the top ridiculous. Unfortunately, I already have tickets for a flight on them for next fall.

Donna

Check the fine print. Many times when airlines have added these types of fees (I'm thinking United when they added the fee for checked bags) if you'd purchased your tickets before a certain date you were exempt.

geekette

Reaction score

YES. If only the airlines would enforce # and size rules they already have!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is the mindset of the travellers which is the problem.

I mainly fly SWA, which has the 1st 2 bags free (at 50lbs or less) and a free carryon. I usually check just one bag and carryon my computer bag. What I see people lugging into the airplane cabin is stupid, but their mindset is 'not to check' to avoid the baggage claim area/wait or theft of their worn underwear. I have a very practiced space stare when anyone is begging for help to stuff their luggage into the overhead cabinet (young, old, female or not, short, one-armed) - as they should have checked it or left it home. I do physical work and if I am injuried, I still have to be there and then pay someone else to lift and lug for me (no matter how much I hurt) as I stand around supervising. And I find a seat where my computer bag is over my head vs the 80lb suitcase belonging to a person 10 rows back.

Truly wish SWA would alter their carryon policy (or enforce it's current size limits). And it would also speed up passenger loading and off-loading.

Just my humble and personal opinion ...

PS I have seen those "wheeled duffel" bags, also. I like the 3 piece attached wheeled bags which are taller than a 5th grader being wheeled down the aisle too. At least the 'pets in the cabin' pay for their cabin space.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I had read somewhere that airlines liked the extra fee's in part because they avoided federal airport taxes. Thus, they increased their fares and didn't get hit with a tax at the same time.

As to Spirit, when you're charging rock bottom prices you'll look for all sorts of ways to make money. My bet is that if they're still cheaper than all the other airlines after the fee's, those that say their the last choice will find they're still right up there as an option.

Now if all things are equal, then yes, I believe they'll be the last choice. Personally I wouldn't care to fly them but that choice isn't mine to make. They don't fly from our airport.

Perasonally, I've come to hate Delta. But they've been the cheapest option with the best flight times so, we've flown them for the last couple of years. Now they've screwed up their FF program to the point where it's worthless to anyone not an elite member and it take 40,000 miles vs 25,000 miles for an award ticket on other carriers for an award ticket to most destinations.

It's the first time I've found myself choising slightly more expensive options and perhaps slightly less desirable flight times in years. Delta finally pushed me to far. Will that be the case with Spririt? I certainly hope so! I would really like the airlines to get it in their heads the travelers will set limits and that the extra fee's they want to charge eventually have consequences. Now it's up to the flying public to get that point across. It won't stop until people vote with their wallet.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
This stinks, but then again, I suspect that some airlines beyond just RyanAir have thought about pay toilets on aircraft, and who knows what they will charge for next, wearing clothes?

Actually, I like the bag policies of LCC EasyJet. They charge for checked bags, but there is effectively no weight limit on your carryon, which is free.

According to a report today on The Conusumerist, Ryanair is moving forward with it's plans for pay toilets on it's plane and, they're removing some of the toilets. It will cost an average of $1.40 to use the toilet on Ryanair.
http://consumerist.com/2010/04/ryanair-going-ahead-with-pay-to-potty-plan.html

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Bruce W

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all. I use a backpack, and wife a rolling bag smaller than my back pack. I too, can't stand all of the excessive bags carried on, delays the pulling away from the gate, not to mention the struggles getting them out of the overheads after landing.

Let's see, should I check my bag for whatever, nah, I will drive 20 hours to my destination ( each way), that will spite them, and so much more relaxing for me, NOT!!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Haven't flown Spirit and certainly don't intend to now. The fees simply have to stop. We need more airlines like Southwest that take the high road as far as fees are concerned

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Doesn't bother me at all. I use a backpack, and wife a rolling bag smaller than my back pack. I too, can't stand all of the excessive bags carried on, delays the pulling away from the gate, not to mention the struggles getting them out of the overheads after landing.

Let's see, should I check my bag for whatever, nah, I will drive 20 hours to my destination ( each way), that will spite them, and so much more relaxing for me, NOT!!

I wouldn't consider driving 20 hours each way but, we have cut down on the destinations that would require a flight. This year we'll fly 4 times rather than 6. Next year I'm planning on 3 drive to destinations and 3 fly to destinations.

You can cut back on your air travel without cutting off your nose to spite your face.

As to the cost of checked bags. We each take one compliance size carry on bag and one smaller "personal item." Since most timeshares have laundry either in the unit or on the grounds, we don't have to take that many clothes. If we buy some of the air removal bags to save space, I bet we could get another 25% in our carry on bags.

Personally, I'd rather check two bags and not take the carry on luggage. But if the airlines are going to play the extra fee game, I'm going to look for ways around it. After all, $50 RT X 6 flights per year works out to an extra $300.

Cut three flights out per year and we cut out $150 in checked bag fee's, up to $1,800 in airfares, and another $600 in rental car expenses. That's a savings of $2,500 by driving 8 to 10 hours and paying for 3 tanks of gas to get there. I think I can make a few cuts if the airlines are going to continue to make a few more digs.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have ressies on Spirit in Aug and I got an email today telling me that since I made my ressies before 4/6, I will be allowed 1 free carryon along with 1 personal item.

geekette

Reaction score
It is the mindset of the travellers which is the problem.

I mainly fly SWA, which has the 1st 2 bags free (at 50lbs or less) and a free carryon. I usually check just one bag and carryon my computer bag. What I see people lugging into the airplane cabin is stupid, but their mindset is 'not to check' to avoid the baggage claim area/wait or theft of their worn underwear. I have a very practiced space stare when anyone is begging for help to stuff their luggage into the overhead cabinet (young, old, female or not, short, one-armed) - as they should have checked it or left it home. I do physical work and if I am injuried, I still have to be there and then pay someone else to lift and lug for me (no matter how much I hurt) as I stand around supervising. And I find a seat where my computer bag is over my head vs the 80lb suitcase belonging to a person 10 rows back.

Truly wish SWA would alter their carryon policy (or enforce it's current size limits). And it would also speed up passenger loading and off-loading.

Just my humble and personal opinion ...

PS I have seen those "wheeled duffel" bags, also. I like the 3 piece attached wheeled bags which are taller than a 5th grader being wheeled down the aisle too. At least the 'pets in the cabin' pay for their cabin space.

I don't blame you a bit for doing nothing when someone can't heft their luggage. I never bring more than I can handle MYSELF.

I'm with you - If you can't handle your luggage, check it, cuz I'm not doing it.

I don't get what the big deal is with checking a bag. Yeah, it's out of my sight, out of my control. I don't understand how it's sooooo inconvenient to check/claim. Never lost a bag,always received comp for damaged bags. nothing stolen, but I don't pack valuables.

the problem is partially with pax mindset, partially with airlines not enforcing their own rules.