• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for things to do on St. Thomas

dive-in

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
I am leaning to a SJ trip due to cost. But, I am trying to decide if I should rent a car from a company that allows taking to SJ, and just use the car ferry. Anyone with experienced doing that? Is that a good idea? We would have to rent a van with this many passengers. The only other alternative would be to rent a Jeep Commander ($$$$). If we just go over and use a taxi to get around SJ, I am wondering how that would work getting to beaches and back (as well as seeing maybe a little bit of the National Park).

Can't help you with car rental and associated fees. You need to determine how much the total cost will be including gas, ferry fees, etc. and compare them with the expected taxi fees you'll rack up. Have you checked the STT and STJ taxi fares? From what I remember, not sure I would want to spend all the mental energy required to drive on the left on the narrow, curving roads.

This is not as funny as it sounds. When we went to our own timeshare in Kauai a couple of years ago, we also allowed our girls to bring along a friend. Meeting boys around the pool became a big deal for them. My youngest still texts one of boys she met.

You're scaring me. My DD is almost 11. I'm not ready for that. :eek: I know it's coming though. I saw it during Spring Break at The Marriott Waiohai this year. The packs of girls and boys being stupid. I know I never did that. :rolleyes:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Does anyone have a recommendation for a car rental that would allow us to take the vehicle to St.J.

Thanks

Donna

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a car rental that would allow us to take the vehicle to St.J.

Thanks

Donna

Anyone but Hertz I believe.

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure we used Budget at the STT airport and took the car barge to St. John.

I would suggest calling the local office of the car rental, rather than the 1-800 number. I found that the 800 number people did not really know about taking the car on the car barge. Calling the local office, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

If I recall, the car barge was about $25 each way from Red Hook.

True, the roads are narrow, curvy and hilly, and you might encounter chickens, goats or donkeys, but the driving on the left isn't too bad on the 2 lane roads. It's the intersections, pulling out of a parking lot, etc, where you really have to watch. Course that's easy for me to say- my husband did all the driving!

But, driving all over the island and visiting the north shore beaches, seeing the beautiful views that come out of nowhere, having to make 2 tries to get up Honky Hill, seeing goats and donkeys in the road- my kids will never forget all that!!

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure we used Budget at the STT airport and took the car barge to St. John.

I would suggest calling the local office of the car rental, rather than the 1-800 number. I found that the 800 number people did not really know about taking the car on the car barge. Calling the local office, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

If I recall, the car barge was about $25 each way from Red Hook.

True, the roads are narrow, curvy and hilly, and you might encounter chickens, goats or donkeys, but the driving on the left isn't too bad on the 2 lane roads. It's the intersections, pulling out of a parking lot, etc, where you really have to watch. Course that's easy for me to say- my husband did all the driving!

But, driving all over the island and visiting the north shore beaches, seeing the beautiful views that come out of nowhere, having to make 2 tries to get up Honky Hill, seeing goats and donkeys in the road- my kids will never forget all that!!

Some posters in other threads have suggested that a 4WD vehicle is needed on SJ. At least one other said that he/she rented a van and had no problems on SJ. Having never seen the roads on SJ, I read all of these posts and still have questions about whether a common minivan is sufficient to drive the roads of SJ. How about some of you who have been there commenting on that? Thanks.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some posters in other threads have suggested that a 4WD vehicle is needed on SJ. At least one other said that he/she rented a van and had no problems on SJ. Having never seen the roads on SJ, I read all of these posts and still have questions about whether a common minivan is sufficient to drive the roads of SJ. How about some of you who have been there commenting on that? Thanks.

I rented a Jeep Liberty from Discount on St Thomas. Took the car barge over to St John for a day. I never had to use the four wheel drive feature but I definitely would have used it if it rained. Some of the roads on St John look like they would be a problem when wet(IMO).
I'll be renting a Jeep again for my next trip.

Here's a link that will give you an idea of http://www.on-stjohn.com/2007/12/03/jeep-cam-north-shore-road-part-4/what the roads are like

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Thanks

Donna

I am renting from Dependable on STT - but I am staying on STJ for 2 weeks.

If I were going over for one day - I would go the taxi/ferry for many reasons.
The National Park is pretty much the beaches (this is not Yosemite...) - yes there is hiking potential, but it is steep and very hot/humid (so make sure you are in shape and have plenty of water).

The one hike that is a bargain (and way worth it) is the Reef Bay Trial hike guided by the NPS (on STJ) - if you are into hiking - this is a must-do if you have the time. Mostly downhill (~3 miles) - they taxi you up and they take you back by boat (like $25pp - Google: Reef Bay Trial NPS St John - or here... http://www.nps.gov/ser/customcf/apps/eventcalendar/events/viisevent28989140.html )

A normal van (non-4WD) is not a problem unless it rains - DO NOT under-estimate the steepness of the turns on the North-side road going from beach to beach.

also - there is a public ferry that goes to JVD, and Tortola-Virgin Gorda

enjoy

Last edited:

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score

We had a Jeep Liberty-type SUV; it did not have 4WD. We never really needed 4WD, but the roads can be a little slicker after it rains. We did find the extra clearance to be helpful several occasions.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
hotcoffee,
it is very generous of you to look out for the girl who lost her father and to include her in your family vacation. I'm sure she appreciates it.

Not exactly on topic, but I thought I would share this. Today we received a letter from this girl (she lives in the upper mid-west) thanking us for inviting her on our vacation. She said it is like a "dream come true" for her. Not on topic, but kind of nice. . . .

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were going over for one day - I would go the taxi/ferry for many reasons.

I would like to read those reasons if you have time. Are there any issues catching the taxis from beach-to-beach and back to ST? Remember, we will have seven people.

The National Park is pretty much the beaches (this is not Yosemite...) - yes there is hiking potential, but it is steep and very hot/humid (so make sure you are in shape and have plenty of water).

Although I am over 60, I still do pretty well on hikes. We usually took one or more hikes each time we went to Hawaii (including part of the Kalalau Trail in 2008). But, it sounds like maybe the beaches are the big attraction on SJ. May not be worth the time a hike takes. They can chew up a good part of a day.

A normal van (non-4WD) is not a problem unless it rains - DO NOT under-estimate the steepness of the turns on the North-side road going from beach to beach.

Rain would be what would concern me. Cannot control the weather. How do the turns on SJ compare with the Hana Highway on Maui (if you have ever driven it)? I've driven that a few times. All the turns are tiring, but otherwise not a big deal. For seven people, we would need something like a Jeep Commander if we wanted the height plus 4WD. They are very expensive to rent from what I have seen.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I would like to read those reasons if you have time. Are there any issues catching the taxis from beach-to-beach and back to ST? Remember, we will have seven people.

Although I am over 60, I still do pretty well on hikes. We usually took one or more hikes each time we went to Hawaii (including part of the Kalalau Trail in 2008). But, it sounds like maybe the beaches are the big attraction on SJ. May not be worth the time a hike takes. They can chew up a good part of a day.

Rain would be what would concern me. Cannot control the weather. How do the turns on SJ compare with the Hana Highway on Maui (if you have ever driven it)? I've driven that a few times. All the turns are tiring, but otherwise not a big deal. For seven people, we would need something like a Jeep Commander if we wanted the height plus 4WD. They are very expensive to rent from what I have seen.

I posted my reasons in post in this thread. Mainly - the hassle factor - and there are transportation options for STJ north-side beaches because of the use of taxi buses that can easily take 7 passengers - and with that many people - you can find a driver that will take care of you (and likely cut a deal).

Ask this question (explaining the situation) on the VINOW BBS - and you will likely get useful advice on this.
http://www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/list.php?4

You may need to register, but it is free.

Ferry schedule and taxi rates are also listed on VINOW - as well as Cruise Ship schedules (important...)

Check out the video link that someone posted - you can see the taxi-buses on the left as the jeep cam leaves beach parking lot.

The Hana Highway is a 'highway' compared to STJ roads - the Max speed limit on STJ is 20mph - STJ is only ~7 miles long...

Also - try and not compare STJ/STT to Hawaii - like apples and oranges - both have their pros/cons (we like both, but for different reasons). If HI moves slow - USVI moves backwards.
Like the Willie Nelson song... 'Still is still moving to me...'

It pretty much rains every day on STT/STJ - a 20% chance of rain (typical for USVI) means that is you stand in one spot - you will get rained upon 20% of the time. Not that it is a 20% chance it may rain - it will rain. It is not only the turns - it is the steepness and the narrowness.

I strongly advise not to rent a passenger van that holds 7 people for just 1 day - not worth the hassle (IMO) - especially if you are unfamiliar with getting around on the islands. Taxi-ferry-taxi - there and back - easy...
the northside beaches are not far from Cruz Bay - and they are serviced heavily by taxi-buses.

Remember: No Worries. Go Slow. Stay Left.

The island people are very different - and can be very gruff. Do not request anything before introductions (Good Morning/Afternnon/Evening) and discussing the weather, etc. first - try and make them smile (I make it a game) - which they can be quick to do when not treated as underlings. It may be paradise to you - but it is home to them - and you are nothing but another visitor making yet another demand.

We will be there in 8 days - woohoo!
I have written trip reports (the last 3 years) that are posted on the Starwood forum (with photos and videos) - to get one viewpoint of vacationing on STJ.

Enjoy.